Albion Rovers Transfers and Closed Season Thread

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The £10k wouldn't even have covered the players' promotional bonus holiday to Magaluf!

In all seriousness, it's almost impossible to imagine how a club of Albion Rovers' size made an operating loss of £177k. Even if the player budget was £100k, I can't begin to understand where the other £77k would have went...and that's without accounting for any income.

Some companies might prefer to minimise the tax liability. Although the £15k from the Pars fans might help a little.

Good luck in the league, except for next Saturday!

The £10k wouldn't even have covered the players' promotional bonus holiday to Magaluf!

In all seriousness, it's almost impossible to imagine how a club of Albion Rovers' size made an operating loss of £177k. Even if the player budget was £100k, I can't begin to understand where the other £77k would have went...and that's without accounting for any income.

You may know but I would be surprised if Albions playing budget was only £100k. That's only 19 players on £100/week including bonuses. Seems unlikely.

No, just the totals for P & L. Under changes to accountancy rules for SME`s with a small turnover - which category ARFC falls into they are not required to show the breakdown. It would of course be appropriate for a shareholder to ask the question at the AGM which is next Tuesday. The accounts are to year ending June 2015 which show a massive drop compared with year ending June 2014 which of course had the three Rangers games and the Motherwell match

I think the point being made was the impact of PWYC ST fiasco upon cash income through the turnstiles on a match by match basis

I realise the above is the general perspective and not necessarily your point of view, but assuming the average punter spent £15 on matchday, it'd take 11,800 people to go through the turnstiles over the season to make £177k, and there's no chance that would have happened, PWYC or otherwise.  So I think blaming the PWYC is a bit of a smokescreen.

I agree with above, to blame what was possibly the most forward thinking initiative by any clubs in recent years is an easy cop out for money wasted elsewhere.

Either that or the Rovers board members who were in media at the time talking about the huge success in its early stages were maybe too quick to declare it a success. I seemed to remember season tickets from USA etc being bought to be donated for local schools. Rovers don't have enough season books for that to have been such a disaster .

match day income may have been down but crowds were def up and got to imagine food sales etc were up. Would be interesting to see figures for all sections of club and how many fans who first went last season have continued.

I thought it was a brilliant idea and wonder if the bigger crowds helped spur the team to the title.

It's probably incorrect to lay the blame for the current predicament exclusively on the pay-what-you-can season ticket debacle but where on earth did the money from the two televised games with Rangers go? I would have thought that would have been more than enough to keep a club of Albion Rovers' size going for a good couple of seasons.

The Pay What You Can season ticket was a ridiculous novelty, it lost the club money in the short term and it certainly hasn't increased the number of bums on seats in the last few seasons, but at the very worst it could probably "only" have lost the club about a quarter of that £177k figure.

Rather than looking back asking who's to blame, perhaps a more pressing question is how on Earth the Rovers get out of this mess. (Starting by offering Young and Stark long-term deals so Real Madrid have to pay us major compo.)

Could it have been built on by asking for a bigger minimum payment the following season. Crowds were def up and there was a buzz about the club which I'd never seen before . The decision to go from one extreme to the other of charging kids was imo a huge mistake

The accounts basically state the profit/loss. The auditors report states that gate receipts were down 59% wages up 18% .

The PWYC season tickets are being blamed, however if you compare the gate receipts the previous season which included the Rangers money it's quite difficult to compare this to a "normal" season.

The excess money was used to pay off a £200k overdraft from the Bank and a former Director's £50k claim was settled. The accounts for the previous year (June 13-14) had a surplus of £190k. So we have spent money as if it has gone out of fashion which looks to being pinned on John Devlin and James Ward.

The next set of accounts I would say will be crucial as to what direction the club goes in. If we continue to lose money hand over fist then we will be back to the bad old days of paying players £50 a week.

On a brighter note the Board have opened the debate on issue of new shares which would raise additional income and allow fans a well deserved stake in the club.

Was part of this `loss` not a paper issue covering a flawed revaluation of the ground a couple of years ago which shows on any balance sheet as an asset.. I need to go thru` the acounts again but I dont think the loss was purely from operations.

Archived