How Fuckin Shite Is Edinburgh Airport

HTG

• 3 weeks later...

Only time I've had a problem at Edinburgh is very early morning when it's rammed with business folk commuting and budget airline holidaymakers. All other times it's a breeze. Flew out and back for work this week and no problems. Through security in 5 minutes. Facilities after security have improved greatly. Walked out straight onto the airport bus back into town. Couldn't have been smoother 

• 5 weeks later...

I'm flying Edinburgh to Frankfurt on Jan 10th.

Comfy enough place to wait for my flight? Usual options for scran? Not bothered about web access as I'll probably just sit with a few newspapers or a book.

Fly home on the Saturday. Flight should get in before 12:00 but I'm not convinced I'll make it back in time for Sons v Hibs.

I'm flying Edinburgh to Frankfurt on Jan 10th.
Comfy enough place to wait for my flight? Usual options for scran? Not bothered about web access as I'll probably just sit with a few newspapers or a book.
Fly home on the Saturday. Flight should get in before 12:00 but I'm not convinced I'll make it back in time for Sons v Hibs.

The pizza restaurant at the far end of the departure hall on airside. Beer is the same price as the weatherspoons but without the hassle. Also it has airport views.

I thought Edinburgh had the worst entrance for international passengers - then I arrived in Brisbane the other week - like entering an old communist bloc country!

Ridiculous queues to pass immigration, then again for customs - was like the old Snake game on Nokia - how many times could they get the line to double back on itself in a tiny area...

Going the other direction, Bris Vegas airport is however superb to crash in overnight for a morning flight, or at least it was ~15 years ago as a poor backpacker. Airport boabies even suggested a more comfortable couch to lie on.

I take it the Lufthansa flights from Edinburgh are decent enough?

Didnt fancy going with a really shite carrier. I know it's short haul and they only offer entertainment via an app that can be downloaded to phones or tablets, but I'll probably just stick my mp3 player on. Not sure about reading on the plane - I can read on trains just fine but reading on a bus or as a passenger in a car makes me feel sick.

Usual snacks/drink options during the flight?

I take it the Lufthansa flights from Edinburgh are decent enough?
Didnt fancy going with a really shite carrier. I know it's short haul and they only offer entertainment via an app that can be downloaded to phones or tablets, but I'll probably just stick my mp3 player on. Not sure about reading on the plane - I can read on trains just fine but reading on a bus or as a passenger in a car makes me feel sick.
Usual snacks/drink options during the flight?

Aye im assuming its the Frankfurt route

It is.
Edinburgh to Frankfurt and then the train to Mannheim.

Yeah fine,just follow the signs for the train station its about a 15min bimble,if you have plenty time theres a food court before the train station so i usually grab some food etc as theres nae much in the actual station

Should have plenty of time. The train tickets are open times rather than fixed trains (Lufthansa fly/rail deal).

Might be a bit pushed for the return flight - leaves Germany mid morning so I'll need to be away from Mannheim no later than 8. Doubt I'll have time to eat in the hotel that morning but I'll have time to grab something at some point.

23 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Should have plenty of time. The train tickets are open times rather than fixed trains (Lufthansa fly/rail deal).

Might be a bit pushed for the return flight - leaves Germany mid morning so I'll need to be away from Mannheim no later than 8. Doubt I'll have time to eat in the hotel that morning but I'll have time to grab something at some point.

Theres self service/normal check ins at the station for Lufthansa flights if you have luggage to save you carrying it into the airport,youll notice them as you walk into the train station

I got in from Switzerland and had to wait 2 hours to get through customs, because they kept guiding people to the only two e-passport gates that were working, only for them not to work half the time.

It was a shambles and that's the first time I've had problems there.

Anyone been to Toronto Airport? One thing that struck me was iPads scattered everywhere round all the food and drink places ... there must have been thousands of them in the airport. You can order your drink through them and it's quite nifty. Unfortunately, when you wanted to use it to access the web, it was as slow as a week in the jail (the wi-fi was much better). 

My flight was mega-delayed, so I amused myself on the slot machines on the iPad. You didn't enter money - you got credits, and when you ran out of credits (every couple of minutes), you could get more by watching an advert. I must have played it for about 2 hours and watched the same fecking car advert a hundred times and won enough credits to win a bottle of water. Pressed the "CLAIM" button, and it suddenly hit me up with mental arithmetic question... if you got it wrong, you got hee-haw. Despite it being 2am and half-cut, I nailed it. Then I hit the CLAIM button again, and it hit me with the "Sorry, there's been an error". 

Fucking raging. 

• 2 weeks later...
Schönefeld Berlin was awful again today. Edinburgh was no problem at all.

Any news on when/if Berlin Brandenburg airport will open? I noticed a lot of Brandenburg branded equipment scattered around Schönefeld.