Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

The 'not paying as much as Cowdenbeath' appears to be be based on the fact that a couple of the players we released gave gone there.

While our budget will be one of the smallest, if not the smallest in League 1 the signings of some reasonable players (Reid, Morgyn) that you'd assume would have attracted interest from other League 1 clubs suggests it's not some sort of Shire £10 a week fiasco.

Also, say a player like Jimmy Scott had been offered a deal, it would be at the lower end of our budget as he would be a back up. Cowden might see him as a first choice player and so he'd be towards the top end of theirs. So it is very feasible they would offer a player more than we're willing to.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Pie and Bovril mobile app

Always amuses me at the start of June at the hysteria of not having signed enough quality. Let's have it right. We are heavy favourites to go back down and it's going to be difficult to attract above average league one players.

This should not be news to any one but we have plenty of time to wheel and deal and we have to hope our long terms loans are of a level that can elevate us like Paton. I'm not saying we can get an individual talent like Paton but a few  of good quality would enhance the squad who hopefully will be of a higher end league one standard

All the signings so far are solid and you know what you are getting. I don't expect much more.

On 6/8/2018 at 18:16, Neilly said:

Always amuses me at the start of June at the hysteria of not having signed enough quality. Let's have it right. We are heavy favourites to go back down and it's going to be difficult to attract above average league one players.

This should not be news to any one but we have plenty of time to wheel and deal and we have to hope our long terms loans are of a level that can elevate us like Paton. I'm not saying we can get an individual talent like Paton but a few  of good quality would enhance the squad who hopefully will be of a higher end league one standard

All the signings so far are solid and you know what you are getting. I don't expect much more.

Spot on there. we only have a few hundred fans so were always going to have a tight budget. it looks like bomber is going for a team of mid earners rather than a couple of big guns mixed in to a team of low earners. I'm happy with business done so far

The business done so far is fine. Reasonable enough League 1 players by all accounts. From what I have heard, some other clubs are paying relatively high wages to players in positions that normally wouldn't get top billing (not strikers/attackers). There's no point trying to over reach ourselves and match that.

However, this season I fear that among they other 9 clubs there are no real diddies you feel might finish with fewer point than games played as many suspected may be the case for Albion/QP last year. With that in mind, i feel we do need a couple of genuine quality creative/attacking players and costs a little more.

I think if we go into this season with a group of players you wouldn't expect to be much more than 6.5/10 League 1 players, that simply won't be enough.

We've signed Harry payton apparently. I saw him 3 times last season so I'm delighted but can someone who's seen a little more of him tell us what to expect? League 2 to Championship is a doable jump I'd think. 

11 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Loved the boy. He'll go down as one of my all-time favourite players. I really hope he makes a success of himself at Ross County.

The scuttlebutt was that we were signing Paul Paton.  So your review really has put a skip in my step this morning.  Even if Harry Paton was bumf, I'm delighted he's not Paul Paton.