Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

20 hours ago, CEMSFC said:

Having spoke with Brown, the club are still in talks with extending Paton's loan

I'm praying, literally praying Harry Paton spends the rest of the season at Stenhousemuir. He's the best player in the division and one of the differences between us challenging for the title and jobbing for the top four.

1 hour ago, Burnsythebinman said:

Inns Murray extends his loan - can he do what is missing with Paton away?

They play in different positions - Harry Paton is a central midfielder, Innes Murray plays on the wing - but, now that he's finally getting a run of games in the starting XI, I hope Murray can have a similar impact.

We started the season stringing four central midfielders across the middle of the park - now we have two very fine wingers. I do hope Paton can return because he gives the team so much drive. Paton and another striker (and maybe a goalkeeper, although that's very unlikely) and we have a good squad going into the latter half of the season.

2 hours ago, guccibag said:

We don’t need a goalkeeper, we’ve got a very good replacement in the boy McMinn.

McMinn is a good keeper but in the one game he has played this season, he didn't look too confident. Although, I have seen him play in a Closed Doors game recently, and it looked like he has improved from earlier this season. 

I also don't know if replacing Smith would solve our problems, yes he has made some mistakes leading to goals, but so has the defenders, I don't see anyone calling for them to get dropped...

That is brilliant news. Was worried that we had actually got weaker during the window while everyone else had strengthened, but with him back I feel a lot more confident. Could still do with another striker to take the pressure off McGuigan.

Stenhousemuir took on a Dunfermline XI tonight in a Closed Door Friendly. Stenhousemuir won 4-3 with goals from McGuigan(2), Gilmour and Trialist (Sandy Cunningham). Cook, Meechan and Ferns were taken off with injuries during the game. 

2 hours ago, Burnsythebinman said:

Stenny where they should be so far this season? - or under performed.  Discuss.

While I fully expected us to be in the top four by this point, I am a little disappointed we're not really challenging for the title and are so adrift from Montrose and Peterhead. A lot of that will come down to our inability to kill off teams at the start of the season - we would take the lead, miss several good chances to extend it, and then get punished - and I reckon we'd about nine or 10 points better off had this not been the case. We've got some good players but there's been an over-reliance on Mark McGuigan's goals and the other forwards really need to pull their weight (I was hoping to see another forward brought in during the window, but alas).

We'll be watching over our shoulders for Stirling Albion and Elgin City but I reckon we'll have enough about us to finish in the play-offs.

On the whole: good, but could be doing better.