Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

Currently sitting in the Norway Stand at Ochilview watching my son take part in Stenny's summer camp.

Great to see that despite reported cut backs in finances and P&B talk of financial hardship over the past few seasons that the club haven't give up on its community plans.

I'm guessing there must be over 50 kids here, Primary School age, both boys and girls and every one of them look like they are having a blast and enjoying themselves.

I know this doesn't help the club on the park, but I personally think it's important for clubs to get into their communities and offer something, and Stenny were amongst the best at that when the plastic pitch was first put down and it's great to see that has continued [emoji1303]

I'm amazed he has got a gig at that level. League two player at best.
If that's the quality Dumbarton are bringing in surely this is the season they will come back down surely.

Judging by the reports from Stenny fans he's the least quality player in our squad.

We have plenty of decent players on our books currently and I'd hope we'd be able to secure some good quality loan signings before the league starts (something we've been very good at in recent years). I can only assume he's been brought in to boost numbers for the Betfred and provide backup when/if required.

Interesting to see he recently signed a new deal with Hearts so he must have something about him. I remain fully unconvinced based on the reports from yourselves but you never know I suppose.

He never done anything to make me think I really hope we can get him back next season.
Pretty lightweight and will get shoved off the ball with ease.
Good luck to the lad though, I hope he can do the business at Dumbarton but as you said I suspect the will be there to make up the numbers.

I was amazed he got a new deal at Hearts as makes zero sense to me.

Just have to see how it goes I wouldn't always weight to heavily on the opinion of fans on many players are great for one club and shit for another. We were told Mark Ferry was a waste of a jersey by opposition fans and has been our best player so far in the competitive games.

I thought it was nailed on a few weeks ago but now I'm not so sure. As I've been saying all pre season we lack flair and creativity if we don't address this then it could be a tremendously dull season.

Apart from the quality of Scott's set plays what are we really getting attacking wise from midfield? Who can unlock a defence or go past a man? No one would be the answer. Halleran has been tidy but nothing more. Blockley looks way off the pace to me and Ferry should start ahead of him alongside Paton. 

I'm not overly worried as this cup is nothing more than a glorified kick about but the second half at Cliftonhill was mind numbing and it doesn't sound like we done much last night. 

I don't think there is any danger of us ditching the back 3, mainly as we have no decent wingers now to play a 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1 or something of that ilk. We are top heavy with central midfielders all of which are reasonably similar, there is certainly no X Factor in there in an attacking sense.

I'd imagine once the market settles down and the SPL clubs know where they are at that we will get at least one or two on loan but I feel there is a big emphasis now on these last few players being better and different to what we already have.

I thought Nathan Blockley was still off the pace last night and hoofed the ball up most of the time, Keeper looked a bit dodgy particularly with clearances early on, Donaldson did okay and looks willing, Paton looked way better than the two loaners from last year although Oli Shaw did okay by us. Halleran looks a decent player for a youngster and wants to play on the deck, (perhaps needs a run in the team but I heard bomber say that a deal had been arranged with a junior club to give some of the boys game time). I still see goals being hard to come by and not sure about Ross Meechan in that position wide, he is a big strong lad but not really a winger! 

I honestly thought Colin would be coming on for the last 20 minutes or so but seems to be a starter again or perhaps just trying to get the whole squad match fit.

I hope Brown is learning who his best team is through this exercise but we still need more attacking options and in the first half had good pressure but no finish, I appreciate that we are low on the pecking order but there must be somebody out there - loaner or otherwise.

My Guess on starting 11

Chris Smith

Back 3 -  Dunlop, Dunlop and Marsh

Midfield 5 - Donaldson, Paton, Halleran, Scott and Meechan

Up Front - Longworth and McGuigan (But probably Mcmenamin;-))

1 hour ago, Happy Pebble said:

My Guess on starting 11

Chris Smith

Back 3 -  Dunlop, Dunlop and Marsh

Midfield 5 - Donaldson, Paton, Halleran, Scott and Meechan

Up Front - Longworth and McGuigan (But probably Mcmenamin;-))

More or less the starting line up I think but with Ferry in instead of Halleran and the possibility of Meechan going to CH instead of Marsh which would put McGuigan to the wing

I think the above will be the line up but with Ferry in for Halleran. McGuigan is wasted as a winger never mind a wing back!

I'd be genuinely astounded if McMenamin starts against Stirling Albion. The front pairing has to be Jammer and McGuigan. 

I think Bomber will have that in mind to be fair. The cup just seems to have been used to spread game time and nothing more.

Given the number of new faces they are not all going to be a success. Despite what happened yesterday I think we will be solid enough. Chris Smith will be 1st choice and that will make a huge difference. 

Midfield is ok. Paton looks a really good player and I'm encouraged by Halleran. Blockley confirms what I thought before he signed. Squad player. Fearns is a worry. Watching last night couldn't help but think how different it would have been with Willis and Conor Duthie. 

Longworth and McGuigan will start up front. McMenamin is back up. 

See paddy power has us as 7/2 favourites for the league, not convinced we will win it but, hopeful we can hit top 4 if this new squad gels together. Not sure how well the squad rotation of the betfred cup stands us for the start of the new season.

Reason would have dictated to play full strength and give it a good go. A cup run is a cup run. And a good cup run before kicking off the league would have been an ideal start.

270d35957d052021e72da2eba89c4533.jpg