Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

Right, there’s quite a lot to unpack here so please bear with me. First of all, congratulations to Queen’s Park on picking up the three points this evening. I wouldn’t necessarily describe their performance as scintillating or stunning, right enough. Their first goal was incredibly well struck and their second was nicely worked on the counter attack but other than that (and another later counter in injury time), I can’t really think of a period where they looked especially dangerous or truly dominated the game. They were the better of the two sides, that much is true, but not by much, not in terms of possession anyway, although not that it matters. Murphy, the big goalkeeper, handled well, the two centre-backs headed everything that came near them and young Euan MacPherson really added a spark when he came on. The celebrations following the second goal were pretty neat and it was nice to see his team-mates congratulate him. I liked the look of him, and he was the only player on the pitch who stood out and make me think Wow. Also, bear in mind this wasn’t even QP’s first-choice XI! Bryan Wharton, Paul Woods and David Galt didn’t start!

Most people would agree that it’s between Stenhousemuir and Queen’s Park for 10th place this season and, as mentioned in a previous post, this League Cup tie was an opportunity for both sides to lay down a marker. As such, it gives me no pleasure to say that based on this performance, Stenny will be relegated this season. The lack of a goal threat is acutely vexing and I don’t think we’ll even score 25 times this year.

It baffles me to think we’re going into the season with just two senior strikers. One of them is a 36-year-old winding down his career (Colin McMenamin will work and work but there is little he can do when all he has to work with are big punts from the back) while the other is a handy-looking youth player signed from the Lowland League who appears to be a grafter and not much else (although what else could be expected from Jack Smith when he started the match on the right of midfield). There are no options, no alternatives, no reserves. Just two strikers between now and May. Anything we create will have to be crafted with pinpoint accuracy but it sure as hell won't come from muscle and grit. They just don't have it in them.

To the match. Let’s be honest here, there were moments where the home side looked pretty damn good with the ball and there were spells throughout the match when they knocked it around well and looked threatening (something I didn’t think Queen’s Park ever did). Whenever Stephen Stirling got his foot on the ball, the whole team drove forward. It didn’t happen often enough though but even when it did, nothing seemed to stick up top. On the rare occasions McMenamin did get possession, no-one ran beyond him. I think that might have been Kieran Millar’s job but the game seemed to pass him by and it wasn’t a surprise to see him removed first. Alan Cook tossed in some nice crosses in the first half (no takers) and Mark Gilhaney brought a bit of a spark when he came on and the team reconfigured to a standard 4-4-2 but other than the McMenamin header that flew past the near post, chances created were few and far between. Stenny were wretched.

It was just too easy for the QP centre-backs. As mentioned above, they won everything in the air (McMenamin and Smith were never likely to trouble them) and so it was alarming to see us go from back to front with such regularity. Ross Meechan and Fraser Kerr, especially in the first half, were guilty of lumping it forward without looking up and taking in what was around them. Stirling and Vinnie Berry would drop to collect the ball from them but they were either unaware of them or happy to ignore them. As such, the opening period was ugly, a gruesome game of football by two poor teams. Queen's Park might have won but they'll wilt against better-equipped sides and I think they can be got at.

I’m trying to think of any positives from a Stenhousemuir perspective. Stirling played well enough and Ciaran Summers looked sparky at times but other than that, Stenhousemuir got what they deserved. There’s a resignation to the fact it’s going to be a long season, so that’s some comfort. If (when?) the team are relegated, it won’t be a shock. It’s just disappointing to approach the bright green breast of the new season with trepidation. It’s something we should be looking forward to, not fearing

Just now, bobthespider said:

Thought Queens strolled it tonight .

Ah, come on now Bob, no-one strolled that match. No-one excelled, no-one played well (other than Euan MacPherson when he came on). It was what it was. You were that bit better and took the few chances that fell your way.

10 hours ago, Fudge said:

The squad is a shambles. We're talking 6th or 7th in league 2 standard

I'd be inclined to agree. It's probably the poorest squad we've had since I started watching the club in 2004. There's some very handy players dotted around the team (particularly in midfield) and the starting XI is competitive but go beyond it and there's nothing there, nothing at all. A suspension or an injury and we're right into raw youths. I feel sorry for Bomber because I really want to see him do well but he doesn't have much of a chance when he's got very little to work with.

I'd be inclined to agree. It's probably the poorest squad we've had since I started watching the club in 2004. There's some very handy players dotted around the team (particularly in midfield) and the starting XI is competitive but go beyond it and there's nothing there, nothing at all. A suspension or an injury and we're right into raw youths. I feel sorry for Bomber because I really want to see him do well but he doesn't have much of a chance when he's got very little to work with.

I would say it's been coming these last two seasons. Only thing is we've had teams worse than us. I don't think we will be so lucky this year

26 minutes ago, Ayrshire-SFC said:

I would say it's been coming these last two seasons. Only thing is we've had teams worse than us. I don't think we will be so lucky this year

I'd disagree to an extent - Scott Booth had, on the whole, a decent group of players to work with but his mismanagement of them was quite incredible and it was shocking to see them hurtle towards the lower reaches of the table, while last season we looked as though we could make a push for the top four until a horrible collapse over the final 12 or so matches (I do agree we were helped out by a couple of dire teams, though, namely Stirling Albion in 2014-15 and Forfar Athletic last year).

This season, however, there's really not much to get excited about. We have to hope lightening won't strike twice again for Albion Rovers and Queen's Park struggle with the step up to League 1 football.

Stone Cold Stenhousemuir - seriously!  Last night was a joke and let's be under no disillusionment we are going to be relegated unless there is someone a lot worse that we are and they would have to be seriously bad. It took us 60 minutes to get a shot on target, cannot agree with the comments that we were threatening.  Goalkeeper lobbed for the second time in 3 games, Stirling failing to track back on numerous occasions and the ball given away cheaply near their goalline for the second goal.

Queens back four mopped everything up and we failed to put them under a lot of pressure. Why oh why do we persist with putting 11 players back into our box when we concede a corner - we do not have an outball if we get possession.  Our build up play is too slow. On numerous occasions last night McCormick was in a good position screaming for a pass but seldom got it.

Feel sorry for Bomber with what he as to work with but given our financial situation there is little he can do but try and perfom a miracle.  Fnancial situation was mentioned a few months ago but some mocked this and even suggested otherwise - unfortunately it is now coming home to roost.  We will have to relie heavily on loanees once injuries and suspensions start to mount up.

FF doesn't think the team will score 25 goals this year - give us your forecast for the number of points you think we will get and where we night get them - would be interesting to see how it tallys up.

Only positives from last night is that the back four look a better unit than they have done for several years.

Onwards and Upwards

I missed last night as I am away at the moment but you folks are depressing me. We were poor against Cowden and a good measure will be Airdrie on Saturday. If our finances are bad and I don't recall any further word from the board about new income etc then the squad is threadbare. No word on any of the trial it's against Cowden?

23 minutes ago, Moonglum25 said:

Stone Cold Stenhousemuir - seriously!  Last night was a joke and let's be under no disillusionment we are going to be relegated unless there is someone a lot worse that we are and they would have to be seriously bad. It took us 60 minutes to get a shot on target, cannot agree with the comments that we were threatening.  Goalkeeper lobbed for the second time in 3 games, Stirling failing to track back on numerous occasions and the ball given away cheaply near their goalline for the second goal.

Queens back four mopped everything up and we failed to put them under a lot of pressure. Why oh why do we persist with putting 11 players back into our box when we concede a corner - we do not have an outball if we get possession.  Our build up play is too slow. On numerous occasions last night McCormick was in a good position screaming for a pass but seldom got it.

Feel sorry for Bomber with what he as to work with but given our financial situation there is little he can do but try and perfom a miracle.  Fnancial situation was mentioned a few months ago but some mocked this and even suggested otherwise - unfortunately it is now coming home to roost.  We will have to relie heavily on loanees once injuries and suspensions start to mount up.

FF doesn't think the team will score 25 goals this year - give us your forecast for the number of points you think we will get and where we night get them - would be interesting to see how it tallys up.

Only positives from last night is that the back four look a better unit than they have done for several years.

Onwards and Upwards

Stone Cold Stenhousemuir, yes.

Interesting post with some pertinent points. "Threatening" might not be the right word but when our one- and two-touch passing clicked we looked like we'd create something. The build-up play that led to Mark Gilhaney clipping in a front-post cross for Colin McMenamin to head wide was really quite good. It's just a pity they didn't do it more often.

The big goalie getting chipped like that so soon after the St Mirren game is a little worry, yes, but he's pretty decent at everything else (his distribution in particular was pretty good, especially his kicks out to Ciaran Summers on the left flank).

I'm sure their second goal came after Alan Cook lost the ball on the halfway line and David Galt fed in Euan MacPherson. Having pushed so many men forward in search of an equaliser, that kind of thing was likely to happen.

I'd disagree that we failed to put the QP back four under pressure, I just don't think we did it in the right way. Playing long balls towards McMenamin in the hope of something happening was never like to yield anything positive - the two centre-backs were worked but never really tested. One of Cook's crosses in the first half deserved some kind of reward.

I think everyone knew there'd be financial constraints this season; I don't remember anyone mocking this or suggesting anything otherwise. Every Warrior seemed realistic about our aspirations for the year ahead.

After taking a quick look through the Second Division/League 1 tables of the past few years, I'd like to revise my prediction of 25 goals - I think we'll probably score about 40 times and collect something like 30 points over the whole campaign. Bookmark this and we'll revisit it in mid-May. I'd like to be proven wrong, though!

23 minutes ago, beaver1 said:

Jeez. Look at the bench. Only gilhanay had any experience and two of the players I had never even heard of. I presume we are looking at getting a striker in on loan.

Yeah, definitely. There's absolutely no way we can go into the new season with two strikers (although Alan Docherty, the lanky striker who came off the bench, has signed on amateur terms. I'm not sure how long for).

Interesting day today against a now full time Airdrie side , some good bits and some not so good. Fraser Kerr had a few good interceptions and hopefully him and Ross will continue to develop an understanding. McMaster at left back is some way away from first team readiness but we always knew the learning curve would be steep for the youngsters. Cook played well and I actually think Gilhaney did okay all though there was a bit of noise from some of the old timers, he does try and pounced on the goal when others were standing watching, Bomber also trusted him with the captaincy so must be a players player[emoji848]. He did have a chat with McMaster after he was involved in the SNAFU that caused the second goal and it looked good positive stuff. Too many runs came to nothing and goalie was easily beaten twice from where I sat. Will be interesting to see where we go from here, already Ciaran and Jim P out injured which is already showing our lack of depth. Hopefully another couple to come in or we are going to struggle. Not usually a pessimist but a play off place is my shout. (Not a promotion one - I am certainly not an optimist)!

From what I hear Stenhousemuir FC are signing Scott Sheperd and another player on loan from Falkirk.

Sheperd would add some pace to a pretty one paced side. His loan spells have been pretty unremarkable at other clubs but beggars can't be choosers.

If true then you have pretty much summed him up. A truly shocking loan signing when Stuart McLaren first arrived at the club, we certainly didn't see anything to suggest there was a player there. I don't think he played any better at Brechin, but I could be wrong.

Granted the lad has pace....but I think that's the only positive I can think of.

There is obviously something in him for Falkirk to think so highly of him, if Ferguson can get that out of him, who knows, probably last chance saloon for the lad.

• 2 weeks later...

There's been no announcement from the club but Stenhousemuir have signed Oliver Shaw (on loan from Hibernian) and David Sinclair.

Shaw is a yung forward, a lanky sort with a decent-enough touch but little presence, and Sinclair was last seen holding up a fish in a national newspaper.

JS37900486.jpg

Edited by Francesc Fabregas

Just now, Francesc Fabregas said:

Needs must, but I always thought we were well stocked in central midfield.

Keen to see how he does against Rangers' kids team tomorrow night.

The same David Sinclair as in Icelandic Fish factory David Sinclair?

He lasted less than one half of a game at Stirling, about a month at Bo'ness and a couple of months at Irvine Meadow last season before leaving them all.

That David Sinclair?

:blink: