The Montrose Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you had an 18 team league then you could think about bringing in relegation. 
Team finishing fourth - basically mid-table as it stands - should not be getting promoted, thats rewarding mediocrity.

They don't get promoted. They get the opportunity to go up. The team finishing 2nd also doesn't really deserve to go up, they haven't won anything either. The leagues are absolutely fine the way they are and the only thing that needed improved was relegation from this league so clubs got their acts together.

Just now, 1320Lichtie said:

They don't get promoted. They get the opportunity to go up. The team finishing 2nd also doesn't really deserve to go up, they haven't won anything either. The leagues are absolutely fine the way they are and the only thing that needed improved was relegation from this league so clubs got their acts together.

We could be here all night. I don't agree, it's all too condensed. There's no way a team finishing mid-table should have that opportunity. 

I'm sick of the sight of the other nine teams in this league and which ones have got their act together? I'm not seeing too many.

We could be here all night. I don't agree, it's all too condensed. There's no way a team finishing mid-table should have that opportunity. 
I'm sick of the sight of the other nine teams in this league and which ones have got their act together? I'm not seeing too many.

Every single team has. Even Cowden sitting bottom are giving guys really good contracts, every single game is tough because EVERYBODY has something to play for.

And sick of the sight. Seez peace. :lol:

I'd rather have an extra 2 games against you lot or Montrose than Spartans or EK and as for the rest I couldn't really care less. Like I said they come around every 10/11/12 weeks. Clyde Saturday and it seems like ages ago since we last played them at Gayf.

We play Elgin a week on Saturday. That's five weeks since we played them last.

When you are coming to your last game against Annan I presume you will be absolutely buzzing for it because you won't have played them for 4 and a half month yeah??? :lol:

Ridiculous

When you are coming to your last game against Annan I presume you will be absolutely buzzing for it because you won't have played them for 4 and a half month yeah??? :lol:

Ridiculous

Seriously what are you on about? 

Seriously what are you on about? 

You said you're bored of seeing the same teams so often. When it comes to your game against Annan you won't have seen them for 4 months. Will you be more excited for that game than the Elgin one because you won't have seen Forfar play Annan for so long?

Fans go to watch their own team. A 10 team league is perfectly adequate.

6 hours ago, steve9 said:

I was wondering, now that the Mo are not in relegation trouble and probably too far behind to trouble the play-offs, who do we want to contest the relegation play-off position? For me anyway, I don't want Cowden to go down (nor Clyde). As a programme collector, Cowden's is the best in our division, a  truely great read. (Clyde have won numerous awards for theirs which is better printed and more colour in it, but Cowden's has more in it). Also Cowden have a town behind them and are part of the community which Clyde and Edinburgh City don't have. So, in conclusion, I want Edinburgh City to fill the play-off spot. Agree or disagree?

Berwick and Clyde would be my preference...Mainly just to watch the gobshite factions of their support go through the very humbling motions of the playoffs / SemiPrEXIT

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

You said you're bored of seeing the same teams so often. When it comes to your game against Annan you won't have seen them for 4 months. Will you be more excited for that game than the Elgin one because you won't have seen Forfar play Annan for so long?

Fans go to watch their own team. A 10 team league is perfectly adequate.

You guys will have played Clyde five times this season. A few seasons back we played East Fife six times (might have been seven actually). It's all wrong.

You guys will have played Clyde five times this season. A few seasons back we played East Fife six times (might have been seven actually). It's all wrong.

So f**k, couldn't care less if if was Clyde or some other outfit at Gayfield this weekend.

You could still play a team 4 even 5 even 6 times no matter how many were in the league.

Seems like you go to watch the other team though, maybe pack in Forfar and take in some other games on a Saturday afternoon instead.

So f**k, couldn't care less if if was Clyde or some other outfit at Gayfield this weekend.

You could still play a team 4 times no matter how many were in the league.

Seems like you go to watch the other team though, maybe pack in Forfar and take in some other games on a Saturday afternoon instead.

We clearly see it differently, it is allowed you know.

I was wondering, now that the Mo are not in relegation trouble and probably too far behind to trouble the play-offs, who do we want to contest the relegation play-off position? For me anyway, I don't want Cowden to go down (nor Clyde). As a programme collector, Cowden's is the best in our division, a  truely great read. (Clyde have won numerous awards for theirs which is better printed and more colour in it, but Cowden's has more in it). Also Cowden have a town behind them and are part of the community which Clyde and Edinburgh City don't have. So, in conclusion, I want Edinburgh City to fill the play-off spot. Agree or disagree?

If you are trying to relegate teams based on their programmes then it should be us going down, it's absolutely woeful.

• 2 weeks later...

Today's result at Cowden should see us safe now. Before the game I thought Cowden might just pull away but frankly they were woeful today. Another different Mo line up with 3 central defenders, young Matty Allan in the middle and had a good solid game. Second half a bit of a worry though - we gave up midfield and dropped too deep. A better side would have sorted us out for that. Too many long high balls as well but credit to the lads they didn't try to do anything fancy and did what had to be done for the points. 

Will be a different matter at Gayfield next week but a similar defensive line up might do Ok. We certainly needed to stop leaking 3 goals a game so at least that would give us a chance of scoring a meaningful goal at the other end. Fair play to SP for experimenting.

100% safe now I would say which is great to see and credit to Stewart petrie and his staff since coming in. Hopefully he can now try and tie down players he wants for next year,Andy steeves, Millar, masson would be my choice. Am sure bolo and Gary fraser are on 2 year deals which is good to see also.

9 minutes ago, mo83 said:

100% safe now I would say which is great to see and credit to Stewart petrie and his staff since coming in. Hopefully he can now try and tie down players he wants for next year,Andy steeves, Millar, masson would be my choice. Am sure bolo and Gary fraser are on 2 year deals which is good to see also.

I would say you were 100% safe before yesterday.

It's a strange situation for us to be in. The thing is even we fans who go to all or most games don't know which is our best team line up. There's been so much tinkering with it that line ups we thought were worrying have done well e'g. at Clyde but the Clyde were awful. Then against Annan we looked to have a strong line up but the referee put paid to any chance for us. SP experimented again at Cowden but although we got the points you could hardly say the line up worked 'cos it was awful hoofball stuff against a very poor Cowden side.

I'm not criticising at all but just thinking what SP might have learned from it all. Certainly yesterday at Cowden he put Paul Watson on for 90 minutes to prove his fitness to have any chance of being offered anything. Iain Campbell got some pitch time for the same reason and Fleming is in goal for the same reason even though SP says it was because Millar made a mistake against Annan. The youngsters yesterday and at Clyde did very well. Getting the balance right between youth and experience is hard and I'd err on the side of experience in this division if we want to get out of it. Bring in the best youngsters of course and after yesterday the best position without doubt for Matty Allan is centre back in the middle. He was outstanding. We'll find it hard to keep Cammy Ballantyne but I hope we do. The flip side is that come the end of the season there will be a rash of u/20 players released by the bigger clubs who can't afford to keep them all. SP must get in there early to get the pick of the bunch AND focus soon on offering pre-contracts to those he wants to keep of youth and experience. IMO we still need a midfield commander who can run the game ragged and most importantly we need to re-vamp our strike force which has IMO been our weak point this season as we don't hold the ball up front long enough. 

As for Arbroath next week I think SP should stick with the three centre backs along with the two overlapping full backs Steeves and Ballantyne. In fact I'd start with the same eleven with maybe Millar back in goal (especially at Gayfield) and maybe Matty Smith in for Gary Fraser - but 50/50 on that. Pressure is on Arbroath to win it and our job is to give nowt away cheaply, then hit them when it hurts. No probs for me if the Smokies get promoted later though.

Archived