The Montrose Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's Ryan Ferguson signed a new deal, happy to see him here for another season, and hopefully he can push on and continue to improve.

Gary Fraser next please.

Millar has been told by st johnstone that his contract isn't getting renewed

Wouldn't be surprising tbh, theres three keepers ahead of him with another younger keeper performing well for our youth sides.

Hows Aaron Comrie performed?

That's Ryan Ferguson signed a new deal, happy to see him here for another season, and hopefully he can push on and continue to improve.

Gary Fraser next please.

Surprised that Ryan has signed, been a bit of a peripheral figure in recent months.

Well, overall, that was a disappointing season, where an awful middle third between Hallowe'en and late Janaury ruined the signs of progress on either side.

Positives: the emergence of Andy Steeves as a club talisman; Gary Fraser looking likely to re-sign, our most reliable goalscorer since John Baird and then Stevie Laidlaw before him; the improvement in Mallagaray over the course of the season, from being a bit shy and off the pace to being a really important, prominent team player by the end of the campaign. There were a couple of really decent performances, particularly the 4-1 destruction of Berwick that saw "Mickey" Cameron sacked afterwards; beating promotion chasing Clyde and Elgin twice at Links Park; grinding out a really tough 4-2 win at Larbert over Shire in late Feb, after which we all realised we'd probably be OK in the relegation stakes. 12 months previously, we'd definitely have lost that game.

Negatives: the "junior tombola" approach to organising the defence which saw us ship an absolutely shocking seventy goals, with only Shire conceding more; some bizarre loan signings (the Falkirk goalie and Jamal Howling-Muddle); and, alongside the good afternoons, two of the worst Montrose performances I can ever remember, the 6-1 home defeat to a scarcely impressive Queen's Park, and of course the humiliation by Lothian Thistle- a game that wrecked our squad through injuries for a couple of months.

For next season, the target should be a sustained top four challenge and a better performance in one of the cups. The core of th squad's better players have been retained, along with one or two surprising re-signings. I think summer activity will be quite brisk in the next few weeks, and there may be a surprise or two.

Key areas to strenghten; two decent goalkeepers (Millar coming back would be great, but for the lad's sake I hope he gets a F/T deal somewhere); a settled first choice defence; and someone to give us creative attacking options from midfield now that Adrian has left.

With a very decent new pitch, the ground being bought back over time by us, and a settled core of a squad, we really have to be much more competitive next time out. I appreciate that this season has been about getting over the near-death experience of the play-off with Brora, and making sure that we didn't find ourselves in that position again.

But that's gone now, thankfully. The club really needs to build positively on the foundations put down towards the end of this season. That means a promotion challenge. Nothing less will do.

Well, overall, that was a disappointing season, where an awful middle third between Hallowe'en and late Janaury ruined the signs of progress on either side.

Positives: the emergence of Andy Steeves as a club talisman; Gary Fraser looking likely to re-sign, our most reliable goalscorer since John Baird and then Stevie Laidlaw before him; the improvement in Mallagaray over the course of the season, from being a bit shy and off the pace to being a really important, prominent team player by the end of the campaign. There were a couple of really decent performances, particularly the 4-1 destruction of Berwick that saw "Mickey" Cameron sacked afterwards; beating promotion chasing Clyde and Elgin twice at Links Park; grinding out a really tough 4-2 win at Larbert over Shire in late Feb, after which we all realised we'd probably be OK in the relegation stakes. 12 months previously, we'd definitely have lost that game.

Negatives: the "junior tombola" approach to organising the defence which saw us ship an absolutely shocking seventy goals, with only Shire conceding more; some bizarre loan signings (the Falkirk goalie and Jamal Howling-Muddle); and, alongside the good afternoons, two of the worst Montrose performances I can ever remember, the 6-1 home defeat to a scarcely impressive Queen's Park, and of course the humiliation by Lothian Thistle- a game that wrecked our squad through injuries for a couple of months.

For next season, the target should be a sustained top four challenge and a better performance in one of the cups. The core of th squad's better players have been retained, along with one or two surprising re-signings. I think summer activity will be quite brisk in the next few weeks, and there may be a surprise or two.

Key areas to strenghten; two decent goalkeepers (Millar coming back would be great, but for the lad's sake I hope he gets a F/T deal somewhere); a settled first choice defence; and someone to give us creative attacking options from midfield now that Adrian has left.

With a very decent new pitch, the ground being bought back over time by us, and a settled core of a squad, we really have to be much more competitive next time out. I appreciate that this season has been about getting over the near-death experience of the play-off with Brora, and making sure that we didn't find ourselves in that position again.

But that's gone now, thankfully. The club really needs to build positively on the foundations put down towards the end of this season. That means a promotion challenge. Nothing less will do.

A surprise or two Ivo? What have you heard regarding players coming in?Their was talk Saturday of the management team getting replaced...can't see it happening myself to be honest.

I hope Paul Hegarty stays as I think he has made progress at LP which would have been more but for those mid season injuries. True there were some dire games as well but overall I think the bottom line sees a bit of progress both on the field and hopefully off it i.e. financially. Didn't notice John Holt on Saturday but might not be anything significant. Good to see Paul Watson taking the pre-match warming up session and be on the touchline beside Heggy - a positive sign?? Jim Butter has gone so we need a goalie coach unless our goalie (whoever) is on loan again like Millar who would anyway be coached at St Johnstone.

A good summary above by Ivo me thinks.

Whilst I remember, ex Chairman Brian Keith has been to a few games recently. Might just be something to do with the LP sale back to MFC and the Dave Larter reunuion day but I just wonder if he might become a bit more involved again??

Pretty much sums up the season accurately Ivo.

The club have also made great strides in interacting with the community, with the initiative on Saturday being a case in point.

Have to say that whilst the results haven't been great, the awaydays that I have been to have been excellent.

Gary Fraser next please.

Hearing Fraser might be offski to East Fife

Sent from my iPad using Pie & Bovril mobile app

Hearing Fraser might be offski to East Fife

Sent from my iPad using Pie & Bovril mobile app

Would be a good signing but I was told he's more than likely to sign for Montrose or Arbroath

Would be a good signing but I was told he's more than likely to sign for Montrose or Arbroath

I was told at one point he was almost definitely signing for Arbroath, but apparently his preference was to stay with Montrose he just wanted a better deal than we originally offered but there's not really been much more said after that

Are you forgetting someone? :D

Anyone know why holty was not their Saturday? all seems a bit weird butter resigns holty not their the next week in the dug out,rumours flying about Saturday that heggy could be away.For me I think it would be a bit harsh if they did punt him now but stranger things have happend.

Are you forgetting someone? :D

no.

Anyone know why holty was not their Saturday? all seems a bit weird butter resigns holty not their the next week in the dug out,rumours flying about Saturday that heggy could be away.For me I think it would be a bit harsh if they did punt him now but stranger things have happend.

we finished 8th in a poor league despite the pre-season aim being a promotion play off push.

I like Hegarty and Holt and will always hold them in high regard for the role they played in keeping us up last year. But *if* they are relieved of their duties then it wouldn't surprise me- football being a results business.

we finished 8th in a poor league despite the pre-season aim being a promotion play off push.

I like Hegarty and Holt and will always hold them in high regard for the role they played in keeping us up last year. But *if* they are relieved of their duties then it wouldn't surprise me- football being a results business.

suppose we will just have to wait and see what happens the next couple weeks

Archived