Westworld

AsimButtHitsASix

I really enjoyed it. It was good to see a well executed and interesting concept that tied up enough plot lines to feel satisfying while leaving plenty for Season 2. It would've been my favourite show of 2016 if The Young Pope hadn't aired at the same time.

2 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

Evan Rachel Wood. And yes, she’s very good if a little lacking in character. However the lack of character is effectively part of her character because of what she is..... Or something like that!

Big expectations for season 2. Has anyone ever seen the old Westworld film on which this show is based? Still never got round to it, but a guy at my work says it’s worth a watch.

1 hour ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Yes. It's quite different from the TV show. More like the first Terminator film, in that the majority of the plot centres around a single-minded robot intent on killing. Not that that's a bad thing.

The first half an hour or so is abysmal, some of the cheesiest and most irritating dialogue I've ever sat through. After that though, it gets very good with an excellent intense performance from Yul Bryner. So give it a watch and stick with it.

Yeah, it's from 1973(?) so it's obviously nowhere near as slick as modern tech is, but it's worth watching. SyFy channel shows it quite a lot.

The TV show had a quick tribute to the film and Yul Brynner in episode 4 or 5. When Bernard goes down to level 82 for the computers with the original software, just after he exits the lift, you see a cowboy host in the background, which is standing in Brynner's classic pose from the film.

#boringpost

I really enjoyed it. It was good to see a well executed and interesting concept that tied up enough plot lines to feel satisfying while leaving plenty for Season 2. It would've been my favourite show of 2016 if The Young Pope hadn't aired at the same time.

I tried to watch The Young Pope and had to give up after about 6 episodes. It was just a bit too plodding for my liking and seemed to jump about a bit for no real reason. I assume it's worth persevering with? I think I still have it on the Sky planner at home.

I tried to watch The Young Pope and had to give up after about 6 episodes. It was just a bit too plodding for my liking and seemed to jump about a bit for no real reason. I assume it's worth persevering with? I think I still have it on the Sky planner at home.

It's a slow burner definitely but I enjoyed the pace I think because I really dug the atmosphere and found Law hilarious. I would say the payoff is worth it. The visit to Africa and the episode partially based in New York are both great and very satisfying.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Was loaned the dvd box from my dad. Tremendous stuff. Didn’t see the MiB reveal coming, I have to say, but it was a real “Holy f**k” moment.

Hopkins, Newton and Harris were standouts.

Have now gotten my own copy and am making my way through it again, realising I missed loads of stuff (although I did spot Yul Brynner).

8 minutes ago, AyrshireTon said:

Was loaned the dvd box from my dad. Tremendous stuff. Didn’t see the MiB reveal coming, I have to say, but it was a real “Holy f**k” moment.

Hopkins, Newton and Harris were standouts.

Have now gotten my own copy and am making my way through it again, realising I missed loads of stuff (although I did spot Yul Brynner).

That was a cracking wee tribute.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice classical take on Nirvana’s ‘Heart Shaped Box’ on the trailer there.

Looking forward to this.

Aside from the cracking story and phenomenal acting, the instrumental versions of excellent songs (few Radiohead tracks on piano especially) was one of the highlights of the first season. Buzzing that it appears this’ll remain for season two.

Trailer looks fantastic.

• 2 weeks later...