Fife Cup

You got a ballpark year?

Play suspended and teams taken off following a serious injury to Splaine as an ambulance is awaited, says twitter.

Dunfermline 2-0 up so they'll be keen it's finished tonight.

Must have been mid 80s? There was a wee debate on dafc.net about it and different people thought we'd lost 2-1, lost on penalties or never at all! Others thought the 10-1 might have been 12-1.

Sounds a bad one for Splaine, and I hope it's a clean break not a compound fracture. It does highlight the issues with having no under 20 squad and a small first team squad while playing these local cup competitions. I wonder if this might tip if over the edge in terms of keeping it running?

12 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Must have been mid 80s? There was a wee debate on dafc.net about it and different people thought we'd lost 2-1, lost on penalties or never at all! Others thought the 10-1 might have been 12-1.

I can't see anything that fits. You played them twice during the 1980s: beat them 3-0 in 1982-83 and lost on penalties after 2-2 draw in 1989-90. Much later in time you did go and paste them 9-0 (1994-95) and 10-1 (2000-01).

12 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

It does highlight the issues with having no under 20 squad and a small first team squad while playing these local cup competitions. I wonder if this might tip if over the edge in terms of keeping it running?

panic1.gif

I can't see anything that fits. You played them twice during the 1980s: beat them 3-0 in 1982-83 and lost on penalties after 2-2 draw in 1989-90. Much later in time you did go and paste them 9-0 (1994-95) and 10-1 (2000-01). panic1.gif

Must have been the loss on penalties then. Strange, I thought it was a 1-0. The 10-1 may well have been that 2000 one but I was convinced it was earlier - I can't understand why I'd have been there in 2000 when I was at uni, but when I was at home and at school I can see why I'd maybe go to a game.

And I know you're keen on keeping them but I think the Fife Cup is one of the few surviving local cups left? Maybe Kelty coming in next year (I'm assuming they've joined the Fife FA now?) will revitalise it a little.

You'd hope Kelty would join Fife FA and enter.

East of Scotland, Fife, and Southern Counties (but SPFL clubs largely play with youths as it's 5-rounds all-in and Annan/Stranraer have reserves) are still going.

SPFL clubs usually enter Aberdeenshire or North of Scotland intermittently now.

Forfarshire still going "on paper", but quasi-suspended.

Renfrewshire and Stirling = suspended.

Glasgow = U17s.

Ayrshire and Lanarkshire = abolished.

Edited by HibeeJibee

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

Thought you would be happy:lol: it will be under 20s and fringe players as we have a game at Stenny the night before.

We were due to play you at home that week in the development league.

Although delighted to be playing the tie it seems strange to bin a tie in a more senior competition to play it at all.

51 minutes ago, Zen Archer said:

We were due to play you at home that week in the development league.

Although delighted to be playing the tie it seems strange to bin a tie in a more senior competition to play it at all.

Take it the clubs want to get the game played and the cup concluded. I believe as we have a 1st team game that week your allowed to cancel DL games so a perfect opportunity to get the cup game out of the way.

I presume you will be in attendance for this?

20 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

Take it the clubs want to get the game played and the cup concluded. I believe as we have a 1st team game that week your allowed to cancel DL games so a perfect opportunity to get the cup game out of the way.

I presume you will be in attendance for this?

Image result for naturally gif

• 2 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, gogsy said:

Kelty Hearts have officially applied for membership of Fife FA so hopefully the competition continues.

Great news.

53 minutes ago, gogsy said:

Noticed that the last team to app;y for membership was Livingston FC, maybe Cowden Cowboy can say when this was?

Pretty sure it was early this decade - in at attempt to get McDougall onto SFA?

They aren't actually in any local FA nowadays after quitting EOSFA during death-throes of Massone's debacle in 2008.

58 minutes ago, gogsy said:

Kelty Hearts have officially applied for membership of Fife FA so hopefully the competition continues. Noticed that the last team to app;y for membership was Livingston FC, maybe Cowden Cowboy can say when this was?

Aye Kelty's application comes 127 years since the day Blairadam played their last game in the cup when Cowden scudded them 14-0:)

3 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Great news.

Pretty sure it was early this decade - in at attempt to get McDougall onto SFA?

They aren't actually in any local FA nowadays after quitting EOSFA during death-throes of Massone's debacle in 2008.

Livingston applied to get into the Fife FA in 2009/10 season when Gordon McDougall had just taken over at Livi.

Fife FA press release on Kelty application.

FIFE FOOTBALL ASSOCIATION – KELTY HEARTS APPLY FOR MEMBERSHIP

The Fife Football Association was founded way back in 1882 and it continues to represent the senior football clubs of Fife plus runs the venerable Fife Cup competition.  Over the years, the Association has had over 50 members including such long gone clubs as Hearts of Beath, Lochgelly United and Kirkcaldy United.  St Johnstone and Alloa Athletic were also past members.  The Association membership has for many years been comprised of the 5 present-day senior clubs – Burntisland Shipyard, Cowdenbeath, Dunfermline Athletic, East Fife and Raith Rovers. 

As many will be aware though Kelty Hearts left the junior ranks at the start of this season and turned senior playing in the East of Scotland League.  Fife FA Chairman David Allan today advised that, ‘We have had some discussions with Kelty Hearts and I am very pleased to confirm that today Kelty Hearts have submitted an official application to join the Fife FA.  The process is that Kelty's application will be put forward for approval at the Fife FA AGM which is towards the end of April.  It is a very long time since a new club joined the Fife Football Association – the last such club was Rosyth Dockyard Recreation in 1934 and their membership only lasted for one season.  The only other club to apply for membership since then as far as I am aware was Livingston FC.’

Dean McKenzie, General Manager of Kelty Hearts, said, ‘Our club would be delighted to be admitted as the 6th member of the Fife Football Association, it would be a major milestone for Kelty Hearts since our change to a Senior Football Club from the Juniors only 8 months ago.  The Fife FA kindly provided us with some brilliant historical information in that the last team from Kelty to be part of the Fife Football Association was Blairadam FC who ironically played their last game as a member on 28th February in 1891, yes 127 years to the day, amazing really.  It would be a great honour and privilege not only for current prestige but also very much for the historical aspect for the village of Kelty to be members of the Fife Football Association alongside Cowdenbeath, Raith Rovers, Dunfermline Athletic, Burntisland Shipyard and East Fife’.