Fife Cup

It used to happen in past decades: traditionally the charity cups were played off the end of the season and more recently it was often used for Fife and Lanarkshire cups, EOS Shield, etc.

I suppose the problem is that you wouldn't know who was playing until potentially the week before. Given that 12 of the 30 lower-league clubs are involved in playoffs that could mean a lot of teams missing, too. I imagine lots of clubs would just want the season over, plus it'd also mean paying another week's worth of wages which only a decent crowd would offset.

As I predicted the League Cup groups, the extended Challenge Cup plus the rambling U20 program have sadly finished-off most of the regional cups. Glasgow's was already a youth cup; Lanarkshire and Ayrshire abolished; Stirlingshire and Renfrewshire seem to have gone into abeyance; in practical application Forfarshire and Fife are proving little different. EOS Cup and Shield hasn't been affected but it's structured so SPFL clubs only play 1 or 2 ties. Southern Counties involves XIs or youth teams of SPFL clubs. Aberdeenshire and North of Scotland gone non-league only.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2017 at 15:28, HibeeJibee said:

It used to happen in past decades: traditionally the charity cups were played off the end of the season and more recently it was often used for Fife and Lanarkshire cups, EOS Shield, etc.

I suppose the problem is that you wouldn't know who was playing until potentially the week before. Given that 12 of the 30 lower-league clubs are involved in playoffs that could mean a lot of teams missing, too. I imagine lots of clubs would just want the season over, plus it'd also mean paying another week's worth of wages which only a decent crowd would offset.

As I predicted the League Cup groups, the extended Challenge Cup plus the rambling U20 program have sadly finished-off most of the regional cups. Glasgow's was already a youth cup; Lanarkshire and Ayrshire abolished; Stirlingshire and Renfrewshire seem to have gone into abeyance; in practical application Forfarshire and Fife are proving little different. EOS Cup and Shield hasn't been affected but it's structured so SPFL clubs only play 1 or 2 ties. Southern Counties involves XIs or youth teams of SPFL clubs. Aberdeenshire and North of Scotland gone non-league only.

most contracts level 2 or lower are generally on a 1 year, 2 year tops basis which end early May right?

i think i remember something about this from the 2008 cup final 

22 hours ago, Booker-T said:

most contracts level 2 or lower are generally on a 1 year, 2 year tops basis which end early May right?

i think i remember something about this from the 2008 cup final 

Clubs will have their contracts to the end of May I would imagine to cover being in play offs. I'm sure since the SPFL came into being you had to have a contract going until the end of a month where before in the SFL you could have a contract which ended in the middle of May. Skyline Drifter on here would be able to confirm this.

• 3 weeks later...

Sensible decision from East Fife. My preferred option for the Fife Cup is for it to be played pre-season as a weekend tournament. Would be sad for one of the world's oldest competitions to be binned... 

Edited by Angusfifer

As it happens Raith v Cowdenbeath was the last Final actually played, in the 2011-12 edition (held-over and finished in October 2012). Since then the cup has twice been abandoned incomplete, and twice awarded incomplete to whoever had got the furthest.

So it's welcome to see this rivalry renewed in the showpiece.

On 4/23/2017 at 19:03, HibeeJibee said:

As it happens Raith v Cowdenbeath was the last Final actually played, in the 2011-12 edition (held-over and finished in October 2012). Since then the cup has twice been abandoned incomplete, and twice awarded incomplete to whoever had got the furthest.

So it's welcome to see this rivalry renewed in the showpiece.

Show piece is taking it a bit far!

On 4/23/2017 at 18:52, Angusfifer said:

Sensible decision from East Fife. My preferred option for the Fife Cup is for it to be played pre-season as a weekend tournament. Would be sad for one of the world's oldest competitions to be binned... 

I liked the pre season tournament in the late 80s and early 90s I believe it was the Pars and the Rovers who put a stop to it, when it was at Bayview in 92 the Pars sent their reserves up while the 1st team  played an English side at EEP.

With the Betfred group stages I doubt if you could fit it into a pre season now.

First confirmation there'll be a Final this edition - now confirmation next season's competition goes ahead and has been drawn. Heady days.

EDIT: With reports of Kelty Hearts joining senior football and the EOS League for next season, bit of a shame they'd have to wait a year before debuting.

At the Fife Football Association AGM in Burntisland last Thursday the following committee was elected:  David Allan (Cowdenbeath) – Chairman, Stephen Mill (East Fife) – Vice Chairman, Tom Phillips (Raith Rovers), Andrew Beveridge (Burntisland Shipyard), Jim Leishman (Dunfermline Athletic), Jim Stevenson (East Fife) – Acting Secretary.  

The draw for the 2017/18 competition produced the following ties –

Preliminary Round
East Fife v Cowdenbeath

Semi Finals
East Fife or Cowdenbeath v Raith Rovers
Dunfermline Athletic v Burntisland Shipyard

Final
Dunfermline Athletic or Burntisland Shipyard v East Fife or Cowdenbeath or Raith Rovers. 
Edited by HibeeJibee

3 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:
First confirmation there'll be a Final this edition - now confirmation next season's competition goes ahead and has been drawn. Heady days.

EDIT: With reports of Kelty Hearts joining senior football and the EOS League for next season, bit of a shame they'd have to wait a year before debuting.

At the Fife Football Association AGM in Burntisland last Thursday the following committee was elected:  David Allan (Cowdenbeath) – Chairman, Stephen Mill (East Fife) – Vice Chairman, Tom Phillips (Raith Rovers), Andrew Beveridge (Burntisland Shipyard), Jim Leishman (Dunfermline Athletic), Jim Stevenson (East Fife) – Acting Secretary.  

The draw for the 2017/18 competition produced the following ties –

Preliminary Round
East Fife v Cowdenbeath

Semi Finals
East Fife or Cowdenbeath v Raith Rovers
Dunfermline Athletic v Burntisland Shipyard

Final
Dunfermline Athletic or Burntisland Shipyard v East Fife or Cowdenbeath or Raith Rovers. 

They haven't joined yet so not much they can do as the draw's always made at the AGM. I hope we play the game with EF in the pre season would be handy to slot in if both sides had free dates during the Betfred Cup group games.

Have no fear - for, as you'd expect, I actually came through to see this. Legendary ending :lol:!!

It wasn't the best of games but Raith's goal and Cowdenbeath's second were crackers. On 93min the floodlights went off. They twice came back on but just warming-up and once the Main Stand lights went off. Ref brought players over to the dug-outs and after about 10min he blew the full-time whistle - and the tannoy announced the game was abandoned and an announcement would be at a future date about whether it would be replayed etc.

Most of the couple of hundred crowd left at this point... However within 2min of the announcement the lights came back on in full - at this point the claims of underhand doings started from the away fans. Some of us hung about, wondering if they might surreptitiously restart the game. Ref came back out still stripped and on his phone. Stewards were clearing stand, and even when Raith players came out claimed it was just "warming down". They spread-out into a match formation though. Cowdenbeath also came back and did the same. Clearly no warm-down.

Match resumed with by my reckoning 12 fans in the stand, myself included :lol:. Ref played 2.5min. Others returned and there were about 30 to see FT and the trophy presentation. Cowdenbeath - champions of Fife.

Edited by HibeeJibee