East Fife -vs- Stenhousemuir Play-off Bonanza!

Were you at the game, if Nathan Austin and other forwards had their shooting boots on East Fife would have won the game easily 29 shots to your 9, as brutal as they were on Wed Fife were the better team today and played most of the game with 10 men, Riordan was anonymous. Julen strolled it ! Paul McMillan was very good and Stenny no 8, your left winger never showed up for this one after being one of the best in the first leg. Good luck v queens I think you'll need it.

Look m8, you got bodied by a bunch of jobbers who hadn't won any of their nine previous matches. Just accept you were beaten by the better side over the piece and return to the League 2 forum in good grace.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess this is as good a place as any;

Stenny fans, how has Ross Meechan been in his first season in senior football? He was at Thistle Under 20s last year and threw in varying performances so keen to know how well he has done!

As mentioned above, I've grown very fond of young Ross. When he first joined the club under Scott Booth he was absolutely horrendous. He was fielded at right-back and everything he did was wrong - he would get dragged out of position, turned easily, and his decision-making was consistently poor. When he attacked he couldn't really dribble, nor could he cross the ball. For a while he looked like he was one of the worst players we'd ever seen at the club in the last decade or so. He got some terrible stick from supporters.

He was tried out at centre-back and actually looked alright, and he was since moved back out to the right where he looks a lot better. We've used four (!) different right-backs this season and he's probably been the best of the bunch. He's improved a lot over the last few months, but he really was starting from "dreadful". He was fielded in front of the defence today and did a bloody good job at breaking things up and giving it to Bryan Hodge or Paul McMullan.

I'd like to see him kept on for next season - he's a strapping young man and has shown versatility to play in the three positions. He's also shown a lot of character to get over his initial difficulties. There's still an awful lot for him to learn but there could well be a player in there.

All that was missing yesterday was an oval ball. Both teams seemed to be playing for territory, kicking to touch. I thought it was a terrible game. But I'll take it.

As FF said, despite the fact we were really comfortable at 1-0, with this team you just know we're going to concede. And so it proved.

Credit to the team though, the work rate was excellent and despite what Gary Naysmith thinks, we were the better team over the piece.

Stenny fans, is there any talk of where McMullan will be playing next season?

Someone told me the club are working to get him back again for next season, regardless of what division they're in, but I can't see it. He's still got a lot to learn, as yesterday showed - for all the energy and direct running, his passing was poor and he needs to improve his finishing - but I can see him being loaned out to someone like Raith Rovers or Greenock Morton, a sort of mid-table Championship side.

The big moment in the game came in the first few minutes of extra time when Fash failed to finish at the back post after good work by Riorden. Has to be said two dreadful teams devoid of any ideas. You have to question Naysmiths tactics, as it was clear on Wednesday that playing Fash up front himself was never going to work, as Stennies central defenders looked very comfortable. Just as has happened all season you need width to get in behind big defenders , but we just kept playing the ball to Fash in front of Stennies big defenders and they never looked in any trouble. Why he signed Caolen Mcaleer and Alan Cook both wingers only Naysmith can tell you, because he doesn't seem to believe in width. Best for Stennie was their keeper, Hodge, mcmullin, Lithgow and mcmillan strolled it. Looks like Naysmith has got the gig for another year, I hope someone shows him during the summer what the wide areas of a football park are for. This 5 man holding midfield is anti football and will drive people away from the game.

Generally, how has Riordan been at East Fife? I thought he was rubbish yesterday. Granted, he can ping in a free-kick but he couldn't get the better of someone like Jobber McCormack and he seemed to spend the entire match glowering at his team-mates for not passing to him.

Greenock Morton, a sort of mid-table Championship side.

That would be lovely. For what it's worth, I feel genuinely bad for Stenny. So very nearly beat us, fought well against Stranraer and unfortunately just lacked the stamina (physical or mental) to hold off Brechin. Hope yous stay up.

Has bryan hodge been playing for stenny ?

He hasn't had his best season for us but I reckon he'll be a huge loss when he eventually leaves for Forfar. He was very good yesterday - he was playing behind the striker and it really suited him. He's a good wee tackler too. I reckon he would have stayed at Stenny had Scott Booth been punted sooner.

Guest Alessandro

He hasn't had his best season for us but I reckon he'll be a huge loss when he eventually leaves for Forfar. He was very good yesterday - he was playing behind the striker and it really suited him. He's a good wee tackler too. I reckon he would have stayed at Stenny had Scott Booth been punted sooner.

Ah that last sentence.......the bane of my life.

Archived