The Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2015

Another season finished off by beating a poor team. What a turnaround from start to finish.

Now the tediousness of an off-season as an Airdrie fan begins.

Will Bollan stay?

Will the players stay?

Will Ballantyne give Bollan/new manager enough to build a new team?

All this and more...

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another season finished off by beating a poor team. What a turnaround from start to finish.

Now the tediousness of an off-season as an Airdrie fan begins.

Will Bollan stay?

Will the players stay?

Will Ballantyne give Bollan/new manager enough to build a new team?

All this and more...

Does it matter?

12/12 from our wee neighbours.

12/12 from the tragedy that is Ayr, again

12/12 from Dunfy.... :lol:

I think Dunfermline would like Bollan, but they say they are cutting costs and are running out of money, so I'm not sure how they could afford to buy him.

I think most will stay, but by most I mean the younger squad players. I'd keep the likes of Watt, Blockley, O'Neil. They aren't brilliant by any means but provide good cover and presumably they are getting paid very little so we get value for money out them over the season. The more senior players like Boyle, McNeill, Prunty and Lister might have some offers from similar sized clubs I'd imagine, hopefully they'll stay. If I could keep one player it would be Docherty, but I think he could probably get a better deal elsewhere.

In summary, I think we'll be in a similar position as last year. Left with a nucleus of decent squad players but having to replace the 5-6 key players. Last summer Bollan made a bit of a mess of his signings and we paid for it. Hopefully he's learned this year - assuming he's still here.

With Morton out the way and being replaced by a part-time team, and the other team coming down/staying down being part-time there's a good chance for a few teams to challenge next year. Forfar showed this year that if you can just get off to a good start then you can hang around the top without being a particularly good team. Hopefully we can get a good start next season for a change and see what happens.

Keep:

McNeil

O'Neil

Paddy Boyle

Docherty

Gillfillan

Fitzpatrick

Blockley/Watt

Prunty

Lister (provided he's fit and willing to go another season)

Haven't seen enough of Jordan Morton to form an opinion either way.

Blockley and Watt are effectively the same player though they provide decent enough cover. Would imagine Watt will be away though.

Bain again provides good cover, and the odd wonder goal, but I wouldn't be bothered if he was moved on.

The rest I would punt.

Our loan players, Fraser, Gasparotto, Lindsay and McHugh were all outstanding but unfortunately we won't hold on to a single one. This means we'll have another rebuilding job and hopefully Ballantyne will give enough funds to Bollan (or whoever) to be able to build a decent squad that is ready from the off. It wouldn't take much more for us to challenge for promotion or even take that ultimate step but having a good start will be crucial.

Lack of centre - halves let us down this season. Need 2 or 3 solid centre - halves signed in the summer.

Keeping hold of Docherty is essential. A player similar Scott Fraser, preferably permanent, is also required.

Going to need at least one or two strikers too, especially if Lister isn't fully fit. Not sure what the score is with Kirwan. Make or break season for Richford.

Last year we lost Adam, Stefan, Buchanan and Barr. Spine of a team. We also lost McAleer who was very useful. Proctor and Hamill were poor replacements. Out of 2 cups in 2 weeks.

Lyndsey, Gasparotto and Fraser will all be missed. I'm worried we lose all the momentum again. I'd love to see the club take the initiative and get the Season tickets out now in a back Bolan campaign. Put it on the fans to set the budget. If we also lost Bollan I'd worry that our best players would follow him.

Fingers crossed we can bring in good replacements and hit the ground running next season. Would be good to be in contention for a change.

Scott Fraser. Will he be a miss?

As an attacking force, yes - early on he was worse than a man short going backwards, but latterly (after Stranraer defeat) he seemed to show a lot more determination to win the ball in the tackle.

Scott Fraser will absolutely be missed. Our season only started once the loan players and Docherty came in and particularly after Fraser's arrival. Great on the ball and has excellent vision. Can hit a not bad free - kick too.

Would be happy to take him off your hands for another season at least...

I would like to know for definite what's happening with Bollan before the end of the month, allowing a new manager if required, the time to bring in some players. Unfortunately though, any decent players that we may be interested in will probably hold off until just before the start of the season in the hope that they will get a better deal elsewhere.

On another note, I was up north last year and stayed in Inverness for the weekend and was in Whitley Bay for the weekend 2 years ago. Would like another trip to the north of England but I don't know if the club will be able to afford it this year.

Scott Fraser will absolutely be missed. Our season only started once the loan players and Docherty came in and particularly after Fraser's arrival. Great on the ball and has excellent vision. Can hit a not bad free - kick too.

Would be happy to take him off your hands for another season at least...

Sounds as if he'll be in and around our first team next season. I liked him when watching in the 20s. He stood out physically as well at times.

Where was he predominantly playing?

Archived