Clyde FC 2015/16 Thread

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't mean this in a bad way at all, but the most impressive people involved at Clyde at the moment, in my opinion, are Barry Ferguson, David Dishon and David Douglas who I thought directed the discussion tonight very well (everyone knows that Clyde fans tend to get side-tracked easily onto trivial matters). You could almost certainly throw Tom Elliot in there as well. Whatever you think of the CIC model, I think it's obvious that there is huge benefit in the involvement of people without a direct emotional link to the club and it's generally not something we've had until recently.

The discussion was informal. Not much new information forthcoming really; it was more of the start of a process I reckon. Whilst relocation (or not) is obviously hugely important I think it is clear that the club has realised that there is no or little negative to starting good practice when at Broadwood. Whether that is community interaction, facility management or fan involvement then these are skills and applications that would be transferable if a move did take place.

Barry Ferguson again came across as a hugely committed individual. No doubt about the hours he's putting in; for example, he's leading Fergie's rehab 3 days a week. He's still learning and whilst his persona at times might suggest otherwise, I think he realises that. As stated previously, a bit of pace into the team for next season, particularly at full-back, with the players he's bringing in. We'll see what happens in the next couple of weeks but next season is the make or break one for me in terms of his time as Clyde manager.

Finally, I don't grudge the players going through the Jersey trip. Training at 6 am so they can catch their flight home :lol:

I don't mean this in a bad way at all, but the most impressive people involved at Clyde at the moment, in my opinion, are Barry Ferguson, David Dishon and David Douglas who I thought directed the discussion tonight very well (everyone knows that Clyde fans tend to get side-tracked easily onto trivial matters). You could almost certainly throw Tom Elliot in there as well. Whatever you think of the CIC model, I think it's obvious that there is huge benefit in the involvement of people without a direct emotional link to the club and it's generally not something we've had until recently.

The discussion was informal. Not much new information forthcoming really; it was more of the start of a process I reckon. Whilst relocation (or not) is obviously hugely important I think it is clear that the club has realised that there is no or little negative to starting good practice when at Broadwood. Whether that is community interaction, facility management or fan involvement then these are skills and applications that would be transferable if a move did take place.

Barry Ferguson again came across as a hugely committed individual. No doubt about the hours he's putting in; for example, he's leading Fergie's rehab 3 days a week. He's still learning and whilst his persona at times might suggest otherwise, I think he realises that. As stated previously, a bit of pace into the team for next season, particularly at full-back, with the players he's bringing in. We'll see what happens in the next couple of weeks but next season is the make or break one for me in terms of his time as Clyde manager.

Finally, I don't grudge the players going through the Jersey trip. Training at 6 am so they can catch their flight home :lol:

Tom Elliot is a good guy. Straight as a die and committed to the job.

Couldn't find more expensive hotels outside Central London in the summer than the State of Jersey. Seems odd. Unless of course Barry's got a few pals in this lovely tax haven. Good luck to any travelling fans.

We'll see.

Well it's been a sleepless night. Did Alimentary turn up at the meeting ? Did he grill the panel ? Did he use sweary words ? Did he verbally abuse any stewards ?

Does anyone else find it a strange time to have the meetings that were held last week and last night.

One game to go with us still in hunt for playoffs and talking openly about letting players go and bringing in 5,6,7 new faces surely isn't the best way to manage things.

By all accounts it did sound positive but the last two seasons have seen full squad changes and no major change in results.

However as I mentioned we still have Saturday and potential playoffs so won't judge till end of season, actually quite buzzing for game this week!

WAC

Well it's been a sleepless night. Did Alimentary turn up at the meeting ? Did he grill the panel ? Did he use sweary words ? Did he verbally abuse any stewards ?

I have been informed he made an appearance don't know if it was riotous however. That's cute that you logged on to check our thread  at 09:13am to check. I thought you were bigger n better than 3rd division nowdays lol

Looks like Broadwood going forward. Hopefully that's the end of all this talk of moving to Shettleston.

Certainly next season. Lot of views and opinions,Few people suggested Social club use in rugby hub behind goal but personally dont see it working when a high majority drive to game due to poor location.....

BF likes Broadwood to attract players but thats it,He agreed with the floor it souless,Doesnt feel like our own(He finds NLL staff very unwelcoming) & it annoys him he cant get into stadium till 1pm which affects his prep work...

Thanks but no thanks

Certainly next season. Lot of views and opinions.Few people Social club use in rugby hub behind goal but personally dont see it working when a high majority drive to game due to poor location.....

I thought that would be a good idea opening up that social club for us as a bar etc pre match and if they did, we wouldn't have to go to farm and some away fans (depending on the team) would also be able to use it.

The location is what it is and we have been there 20 years so might as well deal with it lol. Shetto move a non starter n don't think anyone interested in playing in a juniors ground if we can use Broadwood on fresh terms with council which will mean more revenue for the club.

They will take us more seriously now as we are genuinely looking elsewhere and supposedly Colts are leaving.

Cheers

I have been informed he made an appearance don't know if it was riotous however. That's cute that you logged on to check our thread  at 09:13am to check. I thought you were bigger n better than 3rd division nowdays lol

I'm retired so reading the threads on P&B helps me while away the lonely hours.

The last thing thing I want is to forget our roots. Despite a promotion we are still diddies at heart. I am relatively new to P&B so I am not sure when to stop posting in this division but still hope to enjoy commenting on the agony and ecstasy of the play-offs.

Interesting to read that Berwick and Clyde,the sleeping giants of Scottish football, are already flexing their muscles for next season's campaign although in Clyde's case that could still be 1st Division.

Not 100% on a social club myself, tbh. Where its based, means staffing it is going to cost someone, ie the club, beyond what other extortion the council have already charged us. Barry's clear frustration over the ground is a completely needless pain in the arse for someone trying to build a team and a club, he acknowledges the support the teams had and didnt seem surprised at the recent steward bawbaggery with the young team. Douglas alluded to your point, Ssb that leaving for a smaller ground to attract more fans, didn't point to a great deal of ambition (Juventus and soon Roma found it better!), but with that, he has an openness and a clear mind with regards to aiding the club, and made it clear the benefit to him isn't pushing Broadwood or whatever, but in helping drive the club forward.

In the past EF tried opening the club lounge as a bar/restaurant through the week but that never lasted long despite being in a built up area. The positive side to having that facility is that hospitality has been sold out for the last few home games with 100-120 at £40-£60 a head. The higher price package includes drink but there will still be additional bar takings and the smaller downstairs bar has been full as well.

If a social club had been open at Broadwood many EF supporters would have used it rather than the Farm place.

thanks for posting on the meeting sounds as if it was a  positive event ,  wouldnt really expect anything earth shattering, but going by the different posters it does seem less confrontational than other meetings. agree not convinced  a social club on match days would bring in a great profit after costs etc , most social clubs at football teams rely on functions during  through out the week/weekend birthday parties etc , broadwood isnt perfect but as said before we just dont seem to be able to come up with another option , maybe the guys from last night can confirm is shettleston finished as an option ?

anyway will have a chat with the Clyde illuminati on saturday at the game  ;)

I did enjoy the meeting last night, even though to me the advertised purpose of it was to see collectively how we move forward as a club. I like Barry, and could listen to his enthusiasm for ages, and I think he could talk for ages, but his role was somewhat of a cameo in regards to the bigger picture.

To me, there was nothing mentioned for or against any move away, but more an acceptance of where we are just now and what we do with our current base, whether that be long term or not.

It was an open forum where the truth is, nothing may change in the future off the park, although I highly doubt that. But ideas and points were taken and noted.

Also worth considering that this was not exclusive to members, but if fans are going to have an actual say in the running of the club, it may change my mind about becoming a member.

Think it was 5 with another 2 offered a contract. Not sure though

Think he signed 5 new and desperate for next two (Outwith)

Current squad. Linton. Wee Fergie and unnamed players have verbally agreed to sign...

Im sure he said he was going with 16 which would leave 9 of current squad less Fergie n linton...

Gormley.JP.Junior.Marsh(If hes not away to falkirk) Durie (For competition) Watson(Think he likes him) & Higgins at a guess like all o em...

Archived