New Clubs

Bonnyton Thistle have officially announced they will have a senior team in the SOSL next season.

It will be interesting how they go about attracting fans. Kilmarnock struggle enough with losing potential supporters to the two Glasgow clubs. Nobody outside the players, coaches and parents has any connection with Bonnyton Thistle in the town.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bonnyton Thistle have officially announced they will have a senior team in the SOSL next season.

It will be interesting how they go about attracting fans. Kilmarnock struggle enough with losing potential supporters to the two Glasgow clubs. Nobody outside the players, coaches and parents has any connection with Bonnyton Thistle in the town.

Think they'll get a few of the Killie fans turning up when Killie have away games at Dundee and Ross County... But otherwise, can't see there being massive crowds up there

Doesn't square with announcement that season tickets will be valid at SOS league games. How can control access at the Academy when all you have to do to watch free is stand against the outside wall.

They stared at the AGM that the plan was to use Stair Park for their games and then use the 3G for Cup Games when Stair Park wasn't available... Although the idea of using the 3G was shot down quickly as it isn't currently a Southern Counties registered ground so cannot be used!

On 27/05/2017 at 18:54, HibeeJibee said:

Btw - in the final years of the Dumfries Saturday Amateurs these were the 8 clubs:

Dumfries YMCA, Lochar Thistle, Lochmaben, Upper Annandale, Maxwelltown Thistle, Morton Thistle, Dynamo Star, Terregles Athletic

Those 4 in italics are now in SOSL (Lochmaben via Lanarkshire Ams then absorbing Crichton); Maxwelltown went Lanarkshire Ams then folded?; Morton went Stewartry Sunday.

Did Dynamo and Terregles fold immediately?

Neither appear in Sunday amateur tables:

Dynamo Star certainly folded. They had been struggling for players for a while I think. I started watching them when they formed as "Emerald Star" as a Sunday Amateur side in about 1991 mainly as a QoS Supporter's Club team playing out of the Emerald Park Hotel. As they became more of an independent football team, though still basically run by Queens fans they moved to play out of "Oscars" pub and changed their name to Dynamo Oscars. After Oscars closed they went back to the "Star" suffix and renamed themselves Dynamo Star and continued to play Sunday Amateur. I stopped watching them regularly sometime after the turn of the millennium as wife and family came along but still had a few mates involved with them. They switched over to Saturday amateur at some point as they took the game more seriously but I think as players aged and drifted away they found it more and more difficult to bring in new blood and decided just to fold. There was a big player reunion day out to finish things. There are a couple of people heavily involved in Star over the years now involved at Palmerston Colts I think.

Do bonnyton have a senior team at the moment or will they have to sign players? 

Ex Kilmarnock players Alan Robertson and Paul Wright have taken on the senior team

202b1fe146a872dad3fdb6ccd97c0477.jpg

Archived