The invisible DUP

THE KING

Donegal still has a few Reformed Presbyterians, who make the Free Presbyterians look like hippie liberals.

Free Presbyterians are Baptists.

There's an RP Church a few miles down the road - anytime I'm going past it in the evening there is something on at the hall. Same for the FPs, they have something on every night of the week.

Baptist church in Tobermore is the same - something on at their hall every night of the week.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Republic is holding a referendum next month whether or not to allow gay marriage and opinion polls suggest it will be passed in a landslide. Would never happen in the north with all the bible freaks and their supporters in the DUP.

Ian Paisley et al are a bawhair's difference in real terms from RC church. They mostly seem to disagree on idolatry (Pope/ Jesus v. Queen/ King Billy/ Ian Paisley in terms of visual stimulation) and who is 'head' of the church - The Pope or Jesus Christ/ The Queen/ Ian Paisley.

If it weren't for the egos and power mongering they'd all still be sharing the same pews.

From what I hear from Irish folk I've met in the last few years, they're desparate to leave the child-abusing power-crazy RC church in the past.

My all time favourite DUP story is when one of their MPs was caught shagging a male prostitute by the Sunday World, who put a hidden camera in his hotel room and the first thing the guy said to the lad was "I hope you're a Prod!" :lol:

Think that was Paul Berry and he was an MLA rather than an MP? Can remember all kinds of hilarity about it in the Portadown News.

He was the DUP candidate at the 2005 General Election for Newry and Armagh when the story was published - surprisingly, he failed to be elected, so you're right, he wasn't an MP.

I hear the health secretary in NI has tendered his resignation following his gay folk are more dangerous than child abuser remarks.

Still to be voted on...

He's resigned and it's been accepted. Nothing to vote on, as far as I can see.

He's standing down to spend time with his sick wife, apparently.

Deputy leader Nigel Dodds implores Scottish voters to back the Union and vote tactically against the SNP.

No surprise that they are seriously alarmed by Cameron's antics over EVEL and are leaning towards Labour now as a consequence:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/apr/26/conservative-party-is-losing-our-support-over-scotland-warns-dup

It really does send things along Tam Dayell's motorway to independence with no exits in a way that is potentially catastrophic for NI in the short to medium term if the Barnett formula gets axed although that angle doesn't get mentioned (and I suspect they would probably get exempted in the interests of the peace process).

Take the ‘right’ of SNP MPs to vote in the Commons, or the supposed lack of legitimacy that stems from it. No one who purports to be a unionist can question it. They have the right. That’s why we fought and won the referendum: to enshrine the rights of Scots to go on sending representatives, fully equal to every other, to Westminster. Glib and lazy talk about SNP MPs somehow not being as entitled to vote in every division in the Commons as any other British MP simply fuels nationalist paranoia.

Fair point mind you

No surprise that they are seriously alarmed by Cameron's antics over EVEL and are leaning towards Labour now as a consequence:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/apr/26/conservative-party-is-losing-our-support-over-scotland-warns-dup

It really does send things along Tam Dayell's motorway to independence with no exits in a way that is potentially catastrophic for NI in the short to medium term if the Barnett formula gets axed although that angle doesn't get mentioned (and I suspect they would probably get exempted in the interests of the peace process).

I've always thought if Scotland went independent England and Wales would say "right, we've had some fun Northern Ireland, now stop drinking my whisky and feck off out of my house".

EVEL also reduces any influence the DUP can wield in Westminister so it's natural for them to protect their own interests..

Archived