The Witcher 3

spud131

You guys are crazy. Gwent is one of the best things about the whole experience.

To paraphrase a Steam review of The Witcher 3:

'The Witcher 3 is a great card game with a nice open world minigame'.

I take back that greenie I gave you a few posts up...

16 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

You guys are crazy. Gwent is one of the best things about the whole experience.

To paraphrase a Steam review of The Witcher 3:

'The Witcher 3 is a great card game with a nice open world minigame'.

I can appreciate Gwent, I'm just pretty shit at it.  I keep telling myself every time I play through that I'll really concentrate on it this time, but never quite manage it.  

Have they amended it in the standalone game? I enjoyed it but by the end it was too easy, only the woman in the high stakes tournament with the Nilfgaard deck was difficult as she had a similar strategy of loading up with spies and dummies. I think that deck was marginally strongest but I just played with the NR one.

Hence why in the B&W add on you had to play with the 5th deck. 

Do you need PS plus to try the beta?

edit: just a reminder re the original game, there are still 3 missable cards if you're looking for the collect them all achievement / trophy unless they've since patched it. Muggins here had to make a second playthrough to go back to that point and get them. Every other previously missable one has since been patched so if you don't play and beat e.g. the Bloody Baron by the time his questline is over then the card will just be lying about where you first met him.

Spoiler

The masked ball with Triss

Edited by Fuctifano

37 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Have they amended it in the standalone game? I enjoyed it but by the end it was too easy, only the woman in the high stakes tournament with the Nilfgaard deck was difficult as she had a similar strategy of loading up with spies and dummies. I think that deck was marginally strongest but I just played with the NR one.

Hence why in the B&W add on you had to play with the 5th deck. 

Do you need PS plus to try the beta?

edit: just a reminder re the original game, there are still 3 missable cards if you're looking for the collect them all achievement / trophy unless they've since patched it. Muggins here had to make a second playthrough to go back to that point and get them. Every other previously missable one has since been patched so if you don't play and beat e.g. the Bloody Baron by the time his questline is over then the card will just be lying about where you first met him.

Hide contents

The masked ball with Triss

Yeah, they've expanded it a great deal. There's a lot more cards and options with different abilities. The Spies and decoys are slightly different as well as most cards from the actual game (weather behaves very differently).

There's so many strategies in the beta even within each deck. Single Player and Multiplayer so you will always be challenged too.

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, GnR989 said:

Just completed it today. Throughly enjoyed it. It felt like it petered out towards the end, but still a really good game and would recommend. Now I'm lost as to what to take up next.

Horizon Zero Dawn, if you haven't played it?

• 4 months later...
Spoiler

Completed a main game play through recently, is there a more satisfying kill than Geralt roasting then popping Imlerith's head like a melon?

Reasonably late game spoiler.

• 4 weeks later...

witcher 3 is the best game on ps4 without a shadow of a doubt, especially with the expansion packs. GTA looks and plays like an arcade game compared to this and has really churned out the same stuff not hugely better than ps2 days and i might argue the ps2 gta games had better stories. I suspect red or dead is trying to be the best hence the late launch time, but wow it is going to have to go some to beat the experience of being Geralt :)  this offers the best of all things play on easy mode to have kick ass fun or go onto hard mode and build up geralt like a an online role playing game, graphics stunning, rude stuff if you want, and so many choices, be a dick, be a nice guy be a nutter all things lead to different outcomes. I doubt a better game will come out for a while till witcher 4 ciri as witcher :) 

Well I've just picked this up today (original not GOTY) for 12 quid. Was rather excited to play it as I've been given rave reviews and it's one of those games people always compare new games too. However I've been met with a 20gb update so it'll have to wait for now.

Without spoilers, what can I expect?

10 minutes ago, Tri-TON said:

Well I've just picked this up today (original not GOTY) for 12 quid. Was rather excited to play it as I've been given rave reviews and it's one of those games people always compare new games too. However I've been met with a 20gb update so it'll have to wait for now.

Without spoilers, what can I expect?

A masterpiece. 

Side quests that would put some main game plots to shame in their length, content and ability to absorb you in. 

A stunning looking open world with beautiful scenery and varied landscapes. 

And loads of pixels made to look like boobies. 

Edited by djchapsticks