The Witcher 3

spud131

Fucking gargoyles! f**k.

Ran into a swarm of creatures that explode once down to a quarter health, spraying something on you that takes your health. Was surrounded by the fuckers

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Fucking gargoyles! f**k.

Ran into a swarm of creatures that explode once down to a quarter health, spraying something on you that takes your health. Was surrounded by the fuckers

Aye, if they start sounding like they're choking, get the f**k out of the way.  Also damages other things around them, so quite good if you can get a group fo them bunched up, kill one, then get out of the way.  They can be an absolute arse when you either forget that or can't get out of the way though.

It was only the tutorial part that I had issues with choppiness. When in the castle grounds it was really stop start which had me fairly bemused. Fortunately as soon as I got to White Orchard ot was fine and haven't had any issues since. I originally thought it was my copy of the game but it appears not

I think I'm hopefully getting to the point where I'm far enough removed from finishing this that I can play it again. Obviously I know the ending(s) but will probably try and go down different routes for individual missions where possible.

Obviously the ending of B&W seems to suggest a happyish ending for Geralt depending on choices, therefore any further Witcher game would have to be a prequel, do CDPR have any other games coming up?

I think they said the story of Geralt is finished, doubt they'll go back to that world again.

Although with a few things that Ciri says, apparently their next game - CyberPunk 2077 - will take place in kind of the same world, given that Ciri referred to visiting the universe during some of her jumps.

15 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Just had a wee skim through the first few pages of this thread and saw these.

Makes me feel a bit better.

I had problems with choppiness which suddenly started when I got about a quarter of the way through the game.   Every conversation was: line of dialogue, pause for 10 sections, line of dialogue ,pause for 10 seconds etc.  It resolved itself after a week or so.   No idea what caused it (or fixed it), but had no other problems before or since.

Wait til you meet the fire elementals - fucker's already burning! :P

The bestiary is a fantastically detailed thing, but I found that I didn't really use it that often.  Most of the time I did, it would say I needed to use some exotically named bomb that I didn't have, so aye, igni works.  I pretty much swapped between Igni and Aard on early playthroughs, but Quen is an absolute life-saver as things get tougher.

So Gargoyles.....WTF?!

I have been going through a Fifa faze and hadn't been on this for a while but decided to pick it up over the weekend.  Still not particularly far on and have just met my Witchy Friend (Keira) and went searching for the Elven Mage.  Due to having taken a slight battering from a Water Hag that decided to sneak up on me, I have met my first Gargoyle with hardly any health.  I don't think I actually need to defeat it to progress through the cave but I'm not one to leave something killable if I don't really have to, I think I've been killed 4 or 5 times due to the low health but have only just came up with a couple of ideas...

1. Can I meditate and regain health before entering the cave he is in??

2. Can I just leave Keira to deal with it if option 1 isn't possible?

What is the best form of attack (generally) on these Gargoyles?

1 will depend what difficulty level you're playing on. Think on default meditation restores full health (tho obvs not if you're being battered about the head when you try and meditate) but if you've upped it then it doesn't.

Think Keira is fairly useless except when it comes to the mission with the Hounds of the Wild Hunt. And getting her baps out. Not sure on strategy as it's been a while since I played it but I was pretty faithful to the instructions in the bestiary. The Quen upgrade where you gain a bit of health if you take a light hit helps too.

There's an ability that lets you regen health in the sunlight, if you have that then you can regen health. Think if you turn the difficulty down it might regen as well, not sure though.

And the standard tactic for the elemental monsters is nip in for a couple of quick hits, then dodge out of their range while they attack. Rinse & repeat.

Edited by Tamdunk

Still not met Gargoyles yet, pleasingly, fire monsters sounds like a nightmare.

Not long defeated the Shrieker and managed to take out two werewolves over the past few play throughs.

Got muntered by a Griffin that just swooped on me while I mindlessly trotted along a path to the next mission. Also got revenge on some scorpion thing that had killed me on an earlier mission, just burned it and ran. First Fiend I've come across was mad, especially when everything goes dark.

Love the fact you can make the "wrong" option on missions. Won't mention what it was incase folk are reading this on their first play through, but it didn't become clear until after I'd decided.

I'm just playing through this for the first time and think I know which mission you're talking about. The one with the Hunter named Niellen? I had to read up on the mission afterwards and I've missed a fight as well as a decent bit of loot which is a shame.

I've taken to wandering through Velen for the most part and can easily take down bandits and human enemies that are much higher leveled than me, but I'm running into unfamiliar monsters with a much higher level than me more frequently so may have to progress the story somewhat and go for the easy quests. Tried to take on an Arachas which was level 12 compared to my level 5 and I barely made a dent. I then ran into a Grave hag which just had '??' where it's level should have been so thought better of that as well. Enjoying the challenge though!

I'm just playing through this for the first time and think I know which mission you're talking about. The one with the Hunter named Niellen? I had to read up on the mission afterwards and I've missed a fight as well as a decent bit of loot which is a shame.

I chose the wrong option at the end of that mission, which backfires utterly horrendously.

Was an about another mission which involves the Crones of Crookbag Bog.

How long is the main storyline in this? I feel like I'm nearing an ending point, but I'm apparently only 9% through the game. I've done plenty of side missions in that time aswell, more than main mission ones for sure.

Still not even made it to Skellige. Just let Triss go and met Radovid