Gangs Of .....

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't necessarily call it a 'gang', but I was in the Classics Crew at secondary school. There were 5 of us. We were called the Classics Crew because we all studied Classics. We occasionally shared a table at lunchtime. To tell the truth, things never really got out of hand in a violent sense. However, we certainly looked down on anyone who didn't have at least a basic knowledge of Homer's Odyssey or Virgil's Aeneid.

Turnus was one hard c**t, take any of yeahs.

The bus from Springburn to Firhill (Number 18? its been too long) went past a number of gang infested areas where I would never have gotten out and walked around. You had the Memel Toi as you passed from Springburn into Possil, a couple of Possil gangs whose names I have forgotten (Gringo maybe?) then along Bilsland Drive through Ruchill where the Barnes Road were known to be crazy then into Maryhill where at least the Maryhill Young Team were about. The 70s were pretty wild in North Glasgow.

I was part of the Glamie Army notorious in Glenrothes & further a field when we traveled.

teams from my era which probably still run now

A-Team

Top End

someone mention already the Kirkcaldy gangs/teams they used to ventour up to the Glamie now and and again with great path dancing all round.

I was part of the Glamie Army notorious in Glenrothes & further a field when we traveled.

A-Team

Top End

someone mention already the Kirkcaldy gangs/teams they used to ventour up to the Glamie now and and again with great path dancing all round.

I'd forgotten about the A-Team and the Glamie! I was still at Warout Primary when they were the crews in Glenrothes. We were told that when we were dishing out our usual Hearts/Hibs-esque beatings to the Pittuechar schools football teams that if we didn't let them win then the Glamie were going to batter us! Usual football result despite the threats!

The gangs in Dumbarton were called the Myre and the Dinky, fannies.

One of the best pieces of vanadalism ever was 'Young Dinky' written on the wall at Park by East station but someone had written after it 'against French nuclear testing' :lol:

Coming from leafy suburbs of Helensburgh, we still had the Kirmichael Young Beach.

A-Team

Top End

Were the A Team a real gang? I remember hearing about a group of guys who drove around in a black transit van with red stripes down the side. They apparently stopped and bundled you in the van, drove somewhere then administered a beating. I always thought they were an urban myth.

The Glamie were quite infamous when I was younger, thankfully I grew up in the other side of Glenrothes.

Were the A Team a real gang? I remember hearing about a group of guys who drove around in a black transit van with red stripes down the side. They apparently stopped and bundled you in the van, drove somewhere then administered a beating. I always thought they were an urban myth.

The Glamie were quite infamous when I was younger, thankfully I grew up in the other side of Glenrothes.

The A-Team were real, never heard about the transit van story. They came originally from the Auchmuty area hence the A. The were the enemy of the Glamie, the area around the Esso garage used to be like a war zone some evenings.

The "gang" who I went to school with. The "Linwood Packa" was an infamous name in gang folklore in Renfrewshire. Always assumed they never really existed and just a myth.

It was the "Paka"...absolute eejits. The gangs in Linwood in recent times haven't had imaginative names. Just the LYT and the LTC (Linwood Terror Crew). Wee fannies...

Growing up in a midden surrounded by YCP, YGT and YKK (note that the Y in each case stands for Young, wee dafties galore apparently) my world was completely changed when I went to high school in Renfrew and once saw YDN on a lamppost, to be told it stood for Young Deany Nazis. Beat that.

Some of the Kilmarnock ones included:-

NFD - New Farm Division

OYT - Onthank Young Team

WW - Wardneuk Warriors (friendly with the OYT)

BB - Bonnytoun Brigade

TTT - The Townholm Tanks (not an apt description)

Imaginative titles.

some from north ayrshire

Ardrossan Young Team (AYT)

Saltcoats Anchor Team

Y-Del (saltcoats)

Y-BE young bottom enders (stevenston)

hayocks firm (stevenston)

KOSH (kilwinning organised soccer hooligans)

ITOW (incorporated thugs of whitehirst)

PSB (pennyburn soccer boys)

Archived