Ayr vs Brechin

Recognising the situation we were in and taking positives from whats an upward curve would be better than letting negativity creep in. Patience of course is what we footy fans don't have

It isn't about being negative, it is about being realistic, McCall took the job and made bold statements about playing attacking football but within a couple of weeks came out with the having to play ugly football line like Roberts did

He is saying the right thing week in week out, he is praising the fans and the players and blaming referees and trying to keep the atmosphere positive but I've seen a lot of managers frantically trying to polish a turd when results have been going badly.

At the moment we have to put faith in the hope McCall knows what he is doing and is capable of doing it (Roberts was found out about week three) and for that he'll have to be judged on results and performances rather than what he says

Since he joined we dropped points against Peterhead, Stenny and Morton because of stupid mistakes made by u-19s loaned to the club, If the mistakes hadn't been made we could quite easily be looking at finishing 6th or 7th just now so it would be harsh to blame McCall for the amount of times we have managed to shoot ourselves in the foot.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It isn't about being negative, it is about being realistic, McCall took the job and made bold statements about playing attacking football but within a couple of weeks came out with the having to play ugly football line like Roberts did

He is saying the right thing week in week out, he is praising the fans and the players and blaming referees and trying to keep the atmosphere positive but I've seen a lot of managers frantically trying to polish a turd when results have been going badly.

At the moment we have to put faith in the hope McCall knows what he is doing and is capable of doing it (Roberts was found out about week three) and for that he'll have to be judged on results and performances rather than what he says

Since he joined we dropped points against Peterhead, Stenny and Morton because of stupid mistakes made by u-19s loaned to the club, If the mistakes hadn't been made we could quite easily be looking at finishing 6th or 7th just now so it would be harsh to blame McCall for the amount of times we have managed to shoot ourselves in the foot.

I believe this was discussed during the Q&A and he said he would set the team up, "to try and win every game". In fact, I seem to remember him saying that night that it didn't matter how we played as long as we stayed up this season.

There is a similar quote on the official website from the day he took over;

My philosophy is always about taking each game on its merits, one week we may be able to play some great football and score a few goals and the next it’s about grinding out a victory.

Last 10 games under McCall; 9 points

Last 10 games under Roberts; 4 points

It's not great but it is getting there, keep the faith.

Not looking for scapegoats, I'm just pointing out that we seem to be the victims of a never ending streak of hard luck stories. There have to be reasons for that. Maybe it's a gypsy curse. Or maybe there are guys at the club who just aren't the players we think they are or want them to be.

Let's get.a reality check. We failed to beat a significantly under strength Brechin team. We might even have lost if that penalty had been awarded (I really can't say if the boy dived, but we were very fortunate to get away with that). And this in the context of our failure to beat mid table guff like Airdrie, Stenhousemuir and Peterhead in recent weeks. Hell we seem to be the only team that Dunfermline can beat.

I accept Preston works hard, but there doesn't seem to be any end product. Maybe it's just a lack of composure.. The header at the end was a sitter and even the play that ended with Beattie falling on his arse should have been a shot at the actual goal (I'm pretty sure Beattie would have been offside if he'd tapped it in). Maybe the experience of being booted about by the likes of Alan Lithgow will help his development in the long run, but I doubt it will be us that will see the benefit.

It's been a very fine line recently. The balance of squad McCall inherited was a disaster and won't be seen too often in the senior game. Gilmour didn't have his worst game however a proper wide midfielder would have picked up on four good chances he didn't anticipate. Until the basics are dealt with then more hard luck stories will occur. Still the progress McCall has made is really encouraging and regardless of where we end up i have no doubt next season will be a succesful one.

I believe this was discussed during the Q&A and he said he would set the team up, "to try and win every game". In fact, I seem to remember him saying that night that it didn't matter how we played as long as we stayed up this season.

There is a similar quote on the official website from the day he took over;

My philosophy is always about taking each game on its merits, one week we may be able to play some great football and score a few goals and the next it’s about grinding out a victory.

Last 10 games under McCall; 9 points

Last 10 games under Roberts; 4 points

It's not great but it is getting there, keep the faith.

I have faith in him but it isn't blind faith.

It has been an improvement (performance wise)on Roberts but at the very least I would have expected McCall to make us hard to beat and that hasn't happened yet, as I said before, that may be down to the players he inherited and the state of the club, but also some of the players he has brought in haven't been up to it.

This could be down to the tight timescale he was working to when he got the job as I said before and we have to give him the benefit of the doubt just now that he is the man for the job, at the moment all he has proved is that he is better organized professionally and with the media than Roberts and it might take 2-3 games in to next season to gauge if he is the man for the job, by then he will be accountable for 100% of the playing staff

if, after having 6 months to find a decent team to put on the park for the start of next season, he signed the same percentage of diddies as he has in a tight timescale, I am pretty sure it will be apparent, after a few pre-season games and 2-3 league games

Must admit I had Stranraer and Forfar easily taking all three points from Ayr in the run in. Not so sure that's going to be the case now. McCall looks like he's beginning to turn it around.

Would nt judge anything on performances against us ! We are under strength and very poor! Squad players are not stepping up to the mark when required in my humble opinion !

if, after having 6 months to find a decent team to put on the park for the start of next season, he signed the same percentage of diddies as he has in a tight timescale, I am pretty sure it will be apparent, after a few pre-season games and 2-3 league games

It's not about being negative it's about being realistic. your quote.

Being realistic was in my opinion accepting the position we were in which, again I can only give my opinion, was rock bottom. In order to take a broken spirit and manage that to an upward turn is a good job. Turning it to a good standard takes time. I think, again in opinion, you are being a wee bit unrealistic

I'm backing McCall, I think there have been improvements but not in terms of results, which is what he will be measured on ultimately, I also said he inherited a poor playing staff and had three weeks to bring in players, which might explain why some of the players he brought in haven't been up to scratch and we have probably dropped 9-12 points in recent weeks due to stupid mistakes made by young players so it would be harsh to blame him for that

This is me backing McCall and being realistic.

Where I am also being realistic is when I say that my faith in him isn't blind, I don't care what he says in the after match interviews about how great we are and how great the fans are, I can see the performances with my own eyes, I can see the fitness levels rising and we are looking better at set plays, but in three months we are no harder to beat than we were under Roberts, This could be down to the playing staff.....including the six players he has brought in.

So from January to August he will have 8 months to build a team around Forrest, Crawford, Donald and Nesbit who are already signed up for next season (by him) to make some sort of challenge. by then the honeymoon period will well and truly be over and the team will be his own.

Until then, and I have put this earlier in this thread, that it would not be fair to judge him until then.

What part do you think is unrealistic ?

Archived