Death

P45

Its not so much dying I'm afraid of, its the realisation that one day, anyday, Ill just stop existing. No darkness, no thoughts, nothing. Gone. Thats scary, if you say its not then you're lying, as quite simply its the most terrifying thing your subconscious will ever come across and at some level it'll terrify you.

It's interesting that you're the second person on this thread to say that anyone who doesn't admit to holding this viewpoint must be lying. Sorry but the idea of not being alive genuinely doesn't frighten me. And no, I'm not lying. Why would I?

I wasn't alive in 1961, nor was I alive for eons before that. Rather than being scary; this is a concept with which I'm perfectly OK. Why should the idea of not being alive in 2161 "terrify" me? If the thought scares you, fair enough. But please don't call me a liar when I say I don't agree with you.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am i afraid of death? I think you are probably a liar if you said you weren't afraid of death.

Don't project your fears onto others please. I genuinely couldn't give a f**k about dying. Thank you.

Somebody mentioned dying before their kids on here, don't have any but that even scares the shite out of me thinking about it, that would be horrible. :(

570778-grampa4.gif

"They say the greatest tragedy is when a father outlives his son. I have never fully understood why. Frankly, I can see an upside to it!"

This is a bit of a taboo topic but what are the P&B posters's thoughts on death? Especially your own death.

Are you afraid of death, or do you see it as a normal thing?

Do you fear getting old and your body or mind deteriorating?

Do you think about what happens after death and eternal oblivion?

What would you like to achieve before you die? Would you like to have created some sort of legacy before you die?

Has anyone close to you died?

Just interested.

Hi Andreas Lubitz

Im not really scared about it but growing up i would think about it quite a lot and these feelings would be brought on by heavy binging and drug taking.

Nowadays i don't think about it, even when people I'm aware of have died i don't really turn it round to myself although i am aware that it is possible that my heart/brain can pack in at any time and all sorts of accidents can happen on a daily basis - you just need to look at local news over the past year to see the number of ways in which people have died and it is pretty insane.

No one i have particularly liked or been close to has died so i can count myself lucky on one hand but on the other it is an inevitibility

About 2 or 3 news stories a year do take me aback though, the Glasgow lorry accident being the most recent one when for what ever reason i find myself grieving over the deaths of people i don't know but i think thats only natural. The recent plane crash doesn't make me feel sadness in any way at all for some reason

It's interesting that you're the second person on this thread to say that anyone who doesn't admit to holding this viewpoint must be lying. Sorry but the idea of not being alive genuinely doesn't frighten me. And no, I'm not lying. Why would I?

I wasn't alive in 1961, nor was I alive for eons before that. Rather than being scary; this is a concept with which I'm perfectly OK. Why should the idea of not being alive in 2161 "terrify" me? If the thought scares you, fair enough. But please don't call me a liar when I say I don't agree with you.

I was more on about it scaring people subconsciously more than anything else. Its built into your psyche, naturally, to survive, so the thought of not surviving is horrible on that level, some people can push that fear down further than others.

Apologies for any "liar" slurs, was probably the wrong word to use.

It's the physical act of dying that frightens me, more than being dead. The memory of watching my old fella fade away over six months in a hospital bed and in particular the final 72 hours is what concerns me. Being dead doesn't bother me. Dying does.

I will agree with you on one thing. It doesn't bother me that I wasn't alive in 1961 or the aeons before that but it's plainly a completely different thing between having never existed or having never existed up to a certain point and having existed, to then go back out of existence. In the first of those scenarios nothing existed so nothing can be lost. In the second of those scenarios the thing that you regard as yourself is lost for the rest of endless time.

Maybe your are completely comfortable with the-thing-that-is-you being extinguished and not only never being able to experience anything ever again but actually being psychologically and physically erased from the universe but I'd say most people, if left to mull it over, might have one or two fears about it, especially since it is not only inevitable but, outside of suicide, we have no control over it and that it can happen at any time, any age, under a myriad of circumstances.

Are you really telling us that if you went to the doctors today and he told you you had 2 months to live you would be perfected calm and philosophical about it? You wouldn't feel shocked, upset, depressed, anxious, you'd just say "it's OK doc, I'm pretty level headed about these things"?

Was a bit shite watching my mum deteriorating from a healthy active woman one summer to be dead before Christmas a couple of years back.

Mind you, a penis transplant still looks worse tbh.

I told my mum not to have the penis transplant.

Was a bit shite watching my mum deteriorating from a healthy active woman one summer to be dead before Christmas a couple of years back.

Mind you, a penis transplant still looks worse tbh.

I told my mum not to have the penis transplant.

I think that the Mozzas are a wee bit strange, the context of this in the form of an heirloom.

Death is inevitable, I don't believe in an afterlife but the thought of being remembered would do for me. I suppose like everyone, the passing of a close relative makes it hit home that we all have a shelf life.

Living forever would be pish, you'd be sick of the same things over and over. Like Zen Archers jokes.

It's the physical act of dying that frightens me, more than being dead. The memory of watching my old fella fade away over six months in a hospital bed and in particular the final 72 hours is what concerns me. Being dead doesn't bother me. Dying does.

This pretty much mirrors my own experience. My father died just 3 weeks ago. TBF he was nearly 94 and had been well all his life until the last 4 months. Last week was a bit harrowing and a worrying glance at what may lie in store!

Sorry guys, it's a morbid as f**k this thread.

I started the topic cause it's almost a year since my aunt died and I was thinking about it all.

My aunt's health degraded to a point where she went into hospital where she died peacefully, heavily sedated and in no pain. She spent most of her last waking moments back in the USA with her family and grandchildren. She told people she had a good life in which she thought she made the most of and when she went she was missed by many people.

By all accounts a pretty dece way to go.

But for me seeing my aunt lying in hospital made me realise that as natural as death is, it is something that I want to put off for as long as possible.

It made me philosophical about my life and the fact that I have 1 single chance at it. Never again will I be in my early 20s.

I'm not sure I fear dying as I imagine will be like falling sleep, but I definitely fear getting old and nearing death only to realise that my one chance at life has been a complete waste of time as it was a complete chore rather than an enjoyment.

I also very much fear becoming mentally or physically debilitated.

Are you really telling us that if you went to the doctors today and he told you you had 2 months to live you would be perfected calm and philosophical about it? You wouldn't feel shocked, upset, depressed, anxious, you'd just say "it's OK doc, I'm pretty level headed about these things"?

I said earlier; the idea of physically dying does bother me, even though I accept it as inevitable. My hope is that it's quick and painless and if not, that I can calmly accept it. I won't know until that happens.

Being told death is only two months away would no doubt be distressing but again, it's the dying that bothers me more than being dead. And given the choice, I would take 2 months notice over a long, lingering and painful illness.

Archived