Death

P45

This is a bit of a taboo topic but what are the P&B posters's thoughts on death? Especially your own death.

Are you afraid of death, or do you see it as a normal thing?

Do you fear getting old and your body or mind deteriorating?

Do you think about what happens after death and eternal oblivion?

What would you like to achieve before you die? Would you like to have created some sort of legacy before you die?

Has anyone close to you died?

Just interested.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a bit of a taboo topic but what are the P&B posters's thoughts on death? Especially your own death.

What would you like to achieve before you die? Would you like to have created some sort of legacy before you die?

Just interested.

Reported.

Some people on here are dead...or know people who may, or may not be dead. Think of them before posting this callous nonsense.

Yes.

Shite scared of getting old at 22. Scared of going bald/grey and unable to do things.

No, yer Broon breed.

What would you like to achieve before you die?

Wife/kids/grandchildren

Would you like to have created some sort of legacy before you die?

Not bothered as long as I had helped any family I had.

Only my grandad just last year, 1st death I've had to experience in my 22 years on the planet, still don't think it's sunk in.

Just interested.

Just interested.

Necro

Just interested.

Not now that Saville is gone.

Just interested.

Christ, what a question!

I would think that I'm a little older than most on this forum (41). At my age it's not uncommon to go to funerals of people that are of a similar age. I've probably drank and smoked to much over the years so yes, I do think of dying from time to time. I also get a bit paranoid with aches and pains thinking it's some sort of cancer!

Am I afraid of dying? Not really. The lights go out and that's pretty much it. I would be utterly devastated, however, if I couldn't live long enough to see my children grow up and be confident that they would be ok without me. That's the one fear that can keep me up at night!

Q: Are you afraid of death
A: No. I'd prefer it didn't happen for a while yet. And when the time comes I hope it will be quick and painless. However, I see no reason to "fear" it.

Q: Or do you see it as a normal thing?
A: Given that it has happened, or will happen to every single thing that has lived, is living, or will live, it's hard to see how it could be considered anything other than normal.

Q: Do you fear getting old and your body or mind deteriorating?
A: Yes. Although that's a very different topic.

Q: Do you think about what happens after death and eternal oblivion?
A: Other than acknowledging that the definition of death is eternal oblivion, then there isn't much to think about. We all "experienced" a long period of equal oblivion before we were born and seemed to manage just fine.

Q: What would you like to achieve before you die?

A: I've achieved a number of the things I originally hoped to do already. There are others I accept I probably won't manage. Although most of them don't seem as important as they once did. There's a few things I'd still like to get done but again, this is a very different topic.

Q: Would you like to have created some sort of legacy before you die?
A: Not especially bothered by this tbh. You're born, you do what you can as best you can, then you die. Ideally, you enjoy yourself along the way. If there are people around who will miss you when you're gone, you've done alright.

Q: Has anyone close to you died?
A: Yes. And there will probably be a few more before I'm through. It's only a big deal if you choose to make it so.

Not bothered by death. I don't believe in an afterlife or anything like that. once you're dead. you're dead.

I reckon you'll get reborn as a Sevco fan & kill yourself. Get reborn as a Chinese baby girl.

Rinse and repeat.

Just interested.

Am i afraid of death? I think you are probably a liar if you said you weren't afraid of death. Either that or someone so young who thinks its so far off they can just shrug it off. Cause why would you be scared of death when you are 19 and you have no idea what it's like even really be an adult, never mind an older person? Sometimes I'm afraid of dying and some times I'm not but maybe that's just because I don't think its a real possibility at that moment, certainly at times when I thought it was a real possibility it seemed a lot more frightening.

What really frightens me though is other people dying. I'm in my 40's now and my parents are a bit older than maybe the average parent of someone my age. The idea of my parents dying is absolutely horrific. I hope they live long and well but they are in their 70's now. All my grandparents are dead and gone and even my younger brother very nearly died from illness a few years ago. It can happen to any one at any time.

I do also fear getting old. I look relatively young for my age but even so I can see the signs of aging and I don't look as good as I did 10 years ago. Every time I look in the mirror I'm worrying about my hair falling out or wrinkle that wasn't there before and this that and the other. I was married for a few years but I've never really settled down, had kids and all that, I probably have a younger frame of mind than a lot of people my age and I'm not really that keen on visibly aging, even although it is inevitable.

Legacies are pointless. Within a 100 years there won't a single person on Earth that remembers you were alive so unless you do something of historic importance you will be completely forgotten about and it will be as if you never existed. And even if your name does live on somehow, it's not really you is it? Any thumbnail sketch of your life will not accurately reflect who you were as a person and there will be no living memory of you, you are just a name and nothing more.

I don't really know what happens when we die, no one does, but I think logically, it's most likely the consciousness, the self, disappears. For most of time we didn't exist, then we came into being. It makes sense then to think that when we die, we go back into a state of not existing. We are really just a collection of cells that have come together and will fall apart and depending on what happens to us after death, those cells are re-distributed back into nature, through grass, vegetation, soil, through herbivorous animals, carnivorous animals and therefore back into thousands or ten of thousands of hundreds of thousands of living things.

Archived