Airdrie v Stenny

Whilst we weren't great against Stranraer, we could/should have taken a draw but for a wonder strike.

Our defence coped quite well and I don't imagine Stenny have too much in their forward line to cause us problems.

If Fraser is on song, then we should win. If he's off the boil then we'll draw.

As per every previous thread in the last eight weeks, a must win game. fail to win this and we can forget the play off.

I'm thinking we'll cling onto the dream after this weekend, 1-0.

Fraser needs to up his work rate compared to last week for a start. He's a very good player and has so much creativity that we can't afford not to have him for this run in, but we cannot be doing with the petulance that led to Willie Gibson's thundercrack last week. Presumably Boyle will be back to slot into the left back position, possibly we could move Bain into a more advanced wide right and let O'Neil back into his native right back to give us more width, but that would be changing a formula which has been winning most of the time over the past eight or nine weeks, which I would be inclined not to do.

With regards to Tuesday's "Chairman's Q&A", I found the event to be fairly informative and I admire Jim for speaking with such frankness. Some will say it was a waste of time but I imagine those who will say that weren't there. I think a great lot of thanks must go to the trust for organising the event and to the Chairman for giving his time to keep us "in the loop".

Paul McMullan will miss this one out due to his participation with the Scotland U-19s. Without him, we'll really lack any penetration or poise in attack (although big Martin Grehan showed up well when he came on at the weekend). I imagine the rest of the team will pick itself.

I've got a feeling we might sneak it but the head says a narrow home win here.

Hard to see us winning this I think a draw is about as good as we will get without McMullan we are too one paced.

I would have started Grehan anyway he looked sharp last week but we will be destroyed in midfield I fear.

Heard a rumour that Stenhousemuir are the one team described as "Financially Distressed" by Begbies Traynor, I would have thought Livingston would have been a better bet.

Don't think the rumour you've heard is really anything new http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php/topic/220403-money-worries-at-stenny/

http://www.stenhousemuirfc.com/news/2015/01/21/1156/

Seems a bit grim at Ochilview. Hopefully we are playing a bit better and bring a decent following for the game on 21st March.

(Didn't see this posted anywhere, so apologies if it has)

That was not a pretty game of football, but happy to take the 3 points with a few big players out.

If I was a Stenny fan I'd be absolutely raging with the boy who got sent off. Had us under a wee bit of pressure after they scored, and he gets a stupid red for a needless revenge tackle and kills any chance of a valuable point.

Thought their keeper should have walked for going right through Prunty after that, and the subsequent refusal to return the ball after we'd put it out to allow treatment to him means I'll now have zero sympathy if they go down.

If the challenge on Prunty is reversed and he makes that challenge on the keeper he walks, no doubt. As for the unsporting behaviour afterwards... I pray to God you go down, and stay down.

Echo the sentiments of El Gringo, just when it looked like Stenny had their tails up courtesy of the goal (less said about that one the better) the laddie hands us the upper hand again courtesy of a red mist followed by the deserved red card. He has the cheek to gesture to his bench on the way off that he'd not done anything wrong.

As for the keepers challenge on Prunty, that was an absolute disgrace and merited a red card every day of the week. That the referee was fairly well behind play explains why he probably couldn't give it but the far side linesman kept up the fine Scottish tradition of bottling out of helping the referee out. He's probably really good at flagging when someone calls him a bad name or sets foot out of the technical area when he does standside duty.

Stenny is always a wee club that I've enjoyed visiting but I'll be glad to see the back of the dirty b*****ds for a while.

Know what, I don't think the keeper should've walked. It was a 50/50 and speaking to Bryan afterwards he said he fell awkwardly, making it look worse than was. With regard to Stenny's unsporting behaviour, well it was just that. Plenty of people close to where I was sitting shouting and raving about it, but as with drop balls, there's nothing in the Laws of the Game to provision giving the ball back.

A scrappy game, but Airdrie were comfortable. McNeil's (recently) uncharacteristic error made the score line flatter Stenhousemuir, and the league table accurately reflects their ability.

Good to see Prunty back on the score sheet too. He's ran his guts out without his big partner beside him over the past few weeks.

Onwards and upwards. Big games to come over the next month, but with a positive result, today should be the start of a run which should see us infiltrate the play-off spots. I don't think we have anything to fear in the run in - we've seen how ordinary a team Dunfermline are, as well as Brechin and Stirling.

Know what, I don't think the keeper should've walked. It was a 50/50 and speaking to Bryan afterwards he said he fell awkwardly, making it look worse than was. With regard to Stenny's unsporting behaviour, well it was just that. Plenty of people close to where I was sitting shouting and raving about it, but as with drop balls, there's nothing in the Laws of the Game to provision giving the ball back.

A scrappy game, but Airdrie were comfortable. McNeil's (recently) uncharacteristic error made the score line flatter Stenhousemuir, and the league table accurately reflects their ability.

Good to see Prunty back on the score sheet too. He's ran his guts out without his big partner beside him over the past few weeks.

Onwards and upwards. Big games to come over the next month, but with a positive result, today should be the start of a run which should see us infiltrate the play-off spots. I don't think we have anything to fear in the run in - we've seen how ordinary a team Dunfermline are, as well as Brechin and Stirling.

Agree with all that, remember the 'keeper had just sprinted 20 yards to clear the ball, he's going to have some amount of momentum behind him by the time he swings for the ball. It comes down to how you interpret excessive force I suppose, like I said I think the force he used was a result of the distance he had ran and the fact he was aiming to punt the ball up the park. People might see it differently though and it wasn't clear cut. I don't care about them not giving the ball back either, we put it out so that our own player could get treatment, I don't think teams should feel the need to give the ball back in that instance. If we had put it out so that a Stenny player could get treatment and they didn't return the ball then that's different.

I thought we made hard work of a game which should have been a lot easier, we didn't play particularly well but Stenny are terrible and we were cruising until McNeil's error. One of their fans last week was playing down their tough run of fixtures, but if they get anything from Forfar (H), Morton (A) and Stranraer (A) I'll be very surprised. The game down at Somerset two weeks ago was a game they really had to win, I don't think they'll have enough now. Hopefully we can get a win at Stirling next week and Morton don't slip up.

That was not a pretty game of football, but happy to take the 3 points with a few big players out.

If I was a Stenny fan I'd be absolutely raging with the boy who got sent off. Had us under a wee bit of pressure after they scored, and he gets a stupid red for a needless revenge tackle and kills any chance of a valuable point.

Thought their keeper should have walked for going right through Prunty after that, and the subsequent refusal to return the ball after we'd put it out to allow treatment to him means I'll now have zero sympathy if they go down.

Agree about their red. Stupidity.

However, their 'keeper had every right to make that challenge, and just got there. Ref should have stopped it as Prunty was floored, never a card though.

Scrappy game, should have been an easy win but for out 'keepers error. To be fair, despite the terrible reviews he had from opposition fans, that's his first real howler of the season. He's been solid.

Not too far behind Brechin now....

And I hope Stenny stay up.

Archived