Dunfermline v Morton - Saturday 28th March 2015

You're joking, right?

He's a good player, but certainly not a "formidable" addition to the squad or anything like that. Recently, he's been very poor but I agree he's not a bad player, certainly. Good, not very good.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some more of those could be put on the 'possibly' list. Lamie is now beginning to confound his critics as he is definitely coming onto a game. Scullion is a promising wee player who was scoring loads in the development squad and scored in his second ? first team game but has been unlucky with injuries in any case. Dumbarton were keen to keep hold of Miller in the Championship and it's been stated time and again that (like others ) he's being played out of his best position (10" dong syndrome) Most of us would like to see Pepper in the first team - although he has been dropped quite a lot by JD and seems to be off the boil. the McCluskey's have a part to play in this season (despite them not being 'fans favourites ' they've chipped in with a good few goals/assists)

As I say... JD hasn't made the most of what he has available imo.

Seems I should've been less black and white. Either way, the "formidable squad" was what really set me off - the point I was making is that Duffy created a squad with very few outstanding players. In fact, without the few relatively quality players in the squad, we'd be a long way away from our pre-season target of winning the league. We've lost 10 league games with this squad, I shudder to think how bad it'd be without McManus or Gaston (for example).

Pepper has been poor recently but I'd still rather have him in the team than Miller or either of the McCluskey brothers.

Correct. He's a better option than most in our midfield, but more down to the others being shite than Pepper being very good.

Thought Miller had his best game since joining us on Saturday, although that wasn't exactly a big ask.

Correct. He's a better option than most in our midfield, but more down to the others being shite than Pepper being very good.

Thought Miller had his best game since joining us on Saturday, although that wasn't exactly a big ask.

Agreed, our midfield really is very weak. Thank god we signed Forbes otherwise we would've had a central midfield consisting 2 of: Miller, O'Ware, Pepper & McKee which really would've been soul destroying to watch. We wouldn't be this high up the table of it wasn't for Forbes, excellent signing.

Miller did have a decent game yesterday but how many games is that he's played now and only had one good game? I'd like to see him in his natural position at centre back as Dumbarton fans said he was excellent there for them last season, and that was in the Championship.

Saturday's victory was important, but we can't forget how poor we played. Our last three performances have been unacceptable, and that will need to change if we want to secure maximum points at East End Park. A key battle during our last outing to Fife was O'Ware vs. Falkingham, which oor' Tam completely bossed. If we allow O'Ware to man-mark Falkingham, preventing him from dictating the midfield, it could deliver another victory against Dunfermline.

I doubt Duffy will set up this way, but I enjoyed the diamond midfield which saw Jon Scullion sit in the hole behind the front two. He offered something different to our play, and has shown quality when given his chance. Perhaps Scullion in behind a front two of McManus and Caldwell could cause the Dunfermline back line some bother.

Gaston

Kilday - Miller - Lamie - Russell

O'Ware

Forbes - Pepper

Scullion

McManus - Caldwell

At the end of the day, predicting Jin Duffy's starting XI/formation is very difficult. If it's windy, we could end up seeing Scullion at centre half, or see Gaston play left back. I'm looking forward to this one, though - it's a massive game.

Ross Forbes will be well up for this one.

I'm buzzing already.

Why would he be "up for it"? He wasn't harmed or mistreated by Dunfermline. By all accounts he was given a pretty decent wage & gave next to f**k all in return. If anything, he should be on the pitch at half-time presenting a cheque to DAFC for wages returned.

Dear Mr Richard Campbell,

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Can we have Darren Dods from you as apparently it will fix everything that's wrong with our club from top to bottom. Oh and did you know Leigh Griffiths is ace?

Regards,

John Potter.

FTFY

I've never heard that Forbes had a problem with Dunfermline. He'll be playing against his old team, in a team that may have a chance of promotion. With only a few games to go, this is the difficult stage. Ross scored an excellent late winner on Saturday, and is in good form. I think he'll be "up for it" too.

Hopefully JD noticed that with three strikers on the park yesterday we scored zero goals.

Took a striker off - scored two goals.

If you're going to field three, Jim, at least practise it first.

Scullion is a striker and was on the pitch for both goals, we had three strikers on even if they weren't all playing as strikers. :P

Hard to say how this'll go. Previous results against Dunfermline are encouraging but we haven't played well since the second half against them at Cappielow so performances need to improve soon.

Scullion is a striker and was on the pitch for both goals, we had three strikers on even if they weren't all playing as strikers. :P

Hard to say how this'll go. Previous results against Dunfermline are encouraging but we haven't played well since the second half against them at Cappielow so performances need to improve soon.

You could argue it was four if you include McCluskey.

Which would mean we finished the game with five defenders, four strikers and Ross Forbes. It's not really any surprise we're in the position we are.

I have to say that Forbes hasn't been the player for us that he was for Dunfermline by all accounts. He certainly hasn't been lacking in effort or running - seems to be getting fitter by the week. His winning goal on Saturday typified this, helping to win possession and continuing on to score the goal. The only thing that's lacking in energy is his entrance onto the pitch, none of this running out stuff for him, just walks out.

I can understand Dunfermline fans if they're frustrated by this. We've all been there when players move on and suddenly improve, especially if work rate is part of this. Has turned out to be a terrible piece of business for them though. They've helped us to the position we're in now, and considerably so.

Dear John,

Sorry to hear about your troubles, it must be difficult for you having the biggest budget in the league.

You cannot have Darren but have Jim Paterson instead. He's really fast and agile and not in any way finished.

Heard you swapped Forbes for Andy Barrowman. Nae luck.

LOL

Dick

Dear John,

Sorry to hear about your troubles, it must be difficult for you having the biggest budget in the league.

You cannot have Darren but have Jim Paterson instead. He's really fast and agile and not in any way finished.

Heard you swapped Forbes for Andy Barrowman. Nae luck.

LOL

Dick

Barrowman is another I'd remove from Duffy's 'not very good' signings. He seemed a decent signing at the time although it didn't work out. Unfortunately for Dunfermline he hasn't (yet) got the boost that a move can bring to a player. He seems to be continuing with his modest strike rate but I wouldn't count him out just yet.(particularly before Saturday - when he is bound to score) Forbes is looking like a good find by Duffy despite not setting the heather on fire at EEP.

Hindsight's a great thing among football fans.

Okay, hands up time. I thought we were sending Shaun Byrne to Morton - never could tell him and Forbes apart. You live and learn in this management game. Still, signing Barrowman has been brilliant. He keeps us entertained on the bench with all his tales about scoring loads of goals for Ross County.

image.jpg

Archived