Steven Wilson

NorthernLights

I've been listening to Hand Cannot Erase almost exclusively since it came out. Its an album I'm happy to listen to from start to finish without feeling the need to skip a single track. I saw him live in Edinburgh on Monday and it was one of those gigs you wanted to go on a bit longer then it did it was that good.

It made me think though, that while his latest solo album is his highest charting album to date he is a musician who doesn't get the appreciation he deserves. Beyond his current solo career you have his other bands/projects like Porcupine Tree, Storm Corrosion and Blackfield among others. In fact one of the main reasons I got into his material in the first place was because he worked with Opeth on a number of their albums at the turn of millennium.

I should really like him more than I do - he's obviously extremely talented, and is, by all accounts, a very nice chap as well.

For some reason, I don't really get him as much as I should.

Quite enjoying that Harmony Korine' track I'm listening to while posting, mind.

As well as being a great musician, composer, producer, performer, and singer, he's pretty much the go-to guy for re-mastering/5.1 mixes - I think he's done these for the likes of Yes, Genesis, and (my favourites) XTC.

Really admire the guy - I'll seriously have to investigate more of his stuff - it always impresses me, but I want to be moved.

Fear of a blank planet was his best.

Fear of a Blank Planet was my introduction to Porcupine Tree. It is a stunning album. I was delighted when he played Sleep Together during his recent gig in Edinburgh.

As I mentioned before it was through Opeth that I first heard about Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree. Here is an Opeth song he was heavily involved with from their Damnation album.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Archived