The Pelé Podcast - Andy Graham

Just because you disagree with me you automatically assume I am 'guessing' with everything I say. There are a variety of things I could reply to this with, or even say to you personally, but I don't think it's acceptable to start chucking figures about regarding budgets in the public domain. It's not public information, it shouldn't be public information, and it could damage the club if people started putting private information into the public domain.
Secondly - I honestly cannot believe the DC/ Lumsden comparison comment. Two things:
One - you have completely missed the point. The point was, we were at a stage where people were calling Lumsden every name under the sun and praising Dick Campbell a dozen or so games into his tenure. This was a ridiculous situation, as Dick's record AT THAT POINT was no better than Todd's. You couldn't have found a single Scottish football fan worth their salt who didn't think mid/ long term Dick would do a far, far better job than Todd. That was never in doubt FFS. The point being made what, at that stage, Dick hadn't done anything. Not his fault at all - he inherited a terrible squad of football players. However, he didn't deserve any credit for 'turning things around' when he hadn't turned anything around at all.
Two - I knew it would wind people up immensly pointing out the above, such was the dislike of Todd. I have been proven so right on that side of things that here we are, literally years later, with you bringing it up and still wound up by it. Honestly, when I saw your reply I burst out laughing that this has come up again [emoji3]
Why would I have continued to point this out?! The comparison was redundent when Dick got his own players in and they gelled. That was 18 months ago.

Saying what everyone was thinking

All I had said was thank god DC came in. Without him would the last 2 years have happened? Why do I need to calm down or have perspective in stating that?

You start going on about budgets when you do not know the difference between DCs budget and TLs budget, the actual increase or decrease, and also how each of their budgets compared against the rest of the teams in the league the seasons they were in charge.

Maybe DC looks like he has a much higher budget than TL because he is a competent manager.. who has a good reputation in the game and in the lower leagues in particular, making him able to attract players Lumsden couldn’t get anywhere near?

Was Lumsdens budget the 9th best in League 2? I don’t know, but like you’ve been doing I’m guessing it was nowhere near that. Yet a fantastic season from Bobby Linn is all that kept us up over a shockingly bad Shire team.

I can say thank god for the Bunnet if I want too. Lumsden was hopeless, did he not get quickly chased out of Linlithgow too?

Anyway like I said, you’re just guessing, you do not know the figures.

Not sure how many of the Dumbarton guys have been there over the course of their stay in the Championship but it'd be interesting to hear from one of the players who went up with them and played with them for a while afterwards.

Simalarly, one of the players who've gone through the highs and lows with Cowdenbeath over the past few years.

If you get any Clyde players on, have one of these at the ready...

image.png

1 hour ago, Gordon EF said:

Not sure how many of the Dumbarton guys have been there over the course of their stay in the Championship but it'd be interesting to hear from one of the players who went up with them and played with them for a while afterwards.

Simalarly, one of the players who've gone through the highs and lows with Cowdenbeath over the past few years.

If you get any Clyde players on, have one of these at the ready...

image.png

Prunty, Agnew and Ewings are the ones who spring to mind. I'd love to hear from one of them about the impact Ian Murray had when he arrived, there was a real sense of professionalism around the place as soon as he stepped through the door and the upturn in results was miraculous. In his first full season we finished a baw hair away from the promotion playoffs, playing some electric football in the process.

From our group, the two most widely travelled would be Eddie Malone and Kevin McNaughton, both of whom could potentially have plenty of stories from the lower leagues and beyond (in Kevin's case)

Josh Falkingham was a good panto villain character. Be interesting to hear about his time as a marked man.

It would be interesting to hear why Dougie Hill tried to throttle him.

Good stuff!!!

Another shout out for Paul McManus, think he's definitely at the couldn't care less stage of his career and would let a few corkers out!!!

Also if you're feeling brave enough, if you could hunt down Wullie Broon and interviewed him from a safe distance, the results could be legendary!!!

IMG_2933.jpg.e9d1f527f9a0578d8d0cb9210829e274.jpg

(Last seen around the Stobbie area of Dundee)

I see the first part of the podcast has popped hard!

For the good brothers, here's the second part of our interview with Mark McGuigan - CLICK.

Mark talks about leaving full-time football and signing for Albion Rovers on a permanent basis and winning the League 2 title. He then looks back on his two years at Stranraer and his move to Stenhousemuir.

Hope you enjoy it. I certainly did, he's one of the best guys I think we've had on the show.

3 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

For the good brothers, here's the second part of our interview with Mark McGuigan - CLICK.

Mark talks about leaving full-time football and signing for Albion Rovers on a permanent basis and winning the League 2 title. He then looks back on his two years at Stranraer and his move to Stenhousemuir.

Hope you enjoy it. I certainly did, he's one of the best guys I think we've had on the show.

cheers - he's a top guy.  loved part 1....  watched the Rangers highlights for the first time in a long time..... Remember meeting some the players that night (Ciaran Donnelly etc)  and we all watched the highlights on the big screen.... :( should have been in a semi bloody final ! 

10 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Good stuff. Always liked big Mark at Rovers. I remember his old man playing for Rovers when I first started going in mid 70's.

Great podcast. Not as outrageous as the likes of John Gemmell but a great insight to the ins and outs of part time football. Bit about him and Mohnsi in the replay was class too. Now, please can you get someone who’s played for arbroath [emoji4]

Hi gang! It's a new week, it's a new podcast, this time with Stranraer's Grant Anderson.

We spoke for almost two hours about his career, so I've broken it into two parts. In this first installment, he starts by talking about Stranraer's financial problems before looking back over his career in amateur and junior football. He then talks about signing for Stenhousemuir and his season at the Accies.

I think you'll like it... In fact, I know you'll like it!

CLICK