The Great Big Kilmarnock Thread

Addison's brainfarts aside, we seem to have competed with the Dons. Today we score twice and keep a clean sheet against a saints team who we appear to have shut out of the game. I just hope this isn't a new manager bounce, and that McCullough has got the skills to make this work. I'm actualy quite hopeful.
Oh, and Kiltie maybe gettting back earlier than expected (Although not too early, please) gives me hope that we'll be OK this season - then just two more seasons before we get rid of the ginger weasel.
Long tunnel, dim light, but we're getting there.

I don't think it is coincidental that at Fir Park last year and McDiarmid Park this year that in two key games, he has managed to win and achieve two clean sheets. Personally rate him quite highly.

A smashing win today, and I'm away out for a few jars to celebrate this. I'm not sure still if McCulloch is the man to lead us forward long-term, but today was a good statement of intent if he does indeed want the job full-time. I think we'll probably be fine this season but I'm going to reserve judgement on Jig until he's got a few more games under his metaphorical belt.

10 minutes ago, Andy_K_97 said:

A smashing win today, and I'm away out for a few jars to celebrate this. I'm not sure still if McCulloch is the man to lead us forward long-term, but today was a good statement of intent if he does indeed want the job full-time. I think we'll probably be fine this season but I'm going to reserve judgement on Jig until he's got a few more games under his metaphorical belt.

Did it occur to you that your win today may have had as much to do with Tommy Wright? meh

2 minutes ago, WFAANW said:

Don't think we have a "Tommy Wright" in our team tbh m8.

Your fellow Killie fan posted about McCulloch getting it right today. I think it was at least as much down to Wright getting it horribly wrong.

9 hours ago, Dindeleux said:

Probably a bit of both.

Aye, but of course, much credit to Killie for winning the game. It was deserved on the day. Played like us away from home, gave our players little time or space but also quick (unlike us cos we're often slow and ponderous).

As others have said, we started with six defenders, players out of position and clearly uncomfortable with a formation that no one can work out why Tommy adopted and kept for 72 minutes (which we could all see wasn't working after 5). Maybe he was trying something he had worked out for Ibrokes? If so, disrespectful to Killie and the home fans the club are trying hard to attract and keep. You play the team in front of you, not the next, although I think Tommy may have been trying to prevent being overrun in midfield. Didn't work.

Kilmarnock will surely be safe this season, and maybe even close to sixth with Dundee and Partick. The rest are another level of poor, especially Motherwell right now.

Edited by andrewh

18 hours ago, Dindeleux said:

Probably a bit of both.

Aye - from what I've gathered it seems to be that Saints were poor and Killie were gid. Normally it's a case of our opposition being bad and us being bang average in that sort of game but either way I'm happy with that. As long as Well don't sack McGhee before Saturday I'm confident that we can win. 

Already my nerves are jangling about Saturday. A win and we're looking up the table, a defeat and we're probably looking down again.

Just hope the old Kilmarnock benevolent society routine doesn't kick in with our visitors struggling so much recently...

Already my nerves are jangling about Saturday. A win and we're looking up the table, a defeat and we're probably looking down again.

Just hope the old Kilmarnock benevolent society routine doesn't kick in with our visitors struggling so much recently...

My big fear too. Also it seems two wins on the trot is a big ask these days.

Interim Killie boss Lee McCulloch is already planning for next season according to Rugby Park coach Peter Leven.

The 38-year-old former Rangers defender has been in charge of the Ayrshire side since taking over from Lee Clark following his switch to English League One side Bury.

Leven admits he has no idea if McCulloch will get the job on a full-time basis, but insists the Rugby Park duo have been holding talks with scouts as they start drawing up a blueprint for next year's team.

McCulloch picked up his first win on Saturday when Killie claimed a 2-0 triumph away to St Johnstone and he will again be in the dugout for this weekend's visit by managerless Motherwell.

But McCulloch is in no rush to make a decision on his future and has agreed with club chiefs to delay discussions while they concentrate on getting the eighth-placed Ayrshire club up the table.

His right-hand man said: "Well we have to start planning for next year. We can't just leave it to see whatever happens.

"We have to plan ahead whether we are here or not because the club will still be here and the club is the most important thing.

"We've got a scout who has come up from down south. He's driven five hours to get here so it's only right that Lee takes a couple of hours out to talk to him."

But asked if there had been any developments in the managerial situation, Leven admitted: "No not at all. We're just coming in every day, working hard and preparing for the next week.

"I haven't got a clue [what the delay is]. I don't know what is happening. Both of us still have contracts for another year and a half, so the club don't need to speak to us. We're tied to them anyway.

"I do see Jig [McCulloch] as management material, though. Whether it be next week or next year, he does have the credentials.

"He has taken to the job brilliantly. He's taken a bit of a step back now as he was obviously in amongst the boys as assistant boss.

"He's adapted well. He still has a bit of banter but when it's time to be serious, the boys know it. He was a tough players so he can give it out when guys need a kick up the bum.

"He's a workaholic. I came in at quarter past seven this morning and he was already here. We're doing everything we can to make sure the boys are as ready as they can be."

McCulloch has been linked with a return to former club Motherwell after boss Mark McGhee was axed by Fir Park chiefs on Tuesday.

But Leven is not reading too much into the rumours.

"Lee is an ex-Motherwell player and is doing well here, so there is going to be speculation obviously," he said. "He just needs to keep doing well for Kilmarnock - that's all that matters."

Sounds like the club secretary is up to his old tricks of telling nobody nothing......