The Great Big Kilmarnock Thread

I think anyone trying to argue that Killie or Motherwell are bigger than the other would be struggling badly - the two clubs are as close to equivalents as it's possible to get. They have similar supports and financial size, face the same geographic challenges as regards bus-fulls of dregs heading off to Ibrox & Parkhead and have both been in the top league for ever - and have had relative success whilst there. They are the top town clubs I think it's fair to say but further than that, it's not worth trying to separate them.

All correct.

Also, both easily the biggest team in their respective counties - don't leave me hanging big guy....

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Seems like an appropriate time for a reminder that Dundee haven't won a major trophy in 43 years, haven't finished in the top 4 in 55 years and haven't won the Scottish Cup in 107 years.

They're a big club though - just win fcuk all and go bust every now and again.

1 hour ago, Swello said:

I think anyone trying to argue that Killie or Motherwell are bigger than the other would be struggling badly - the two clubs are as close to equivalents as it's possible to get. They have similar supports and financial size, face the same geographic challenges as regards bus-fulls of dregs heading off to Ibrox & Parkhead and have both been in the top league for ever - and have had relative success whilst there. They are the top town clubs I think it's fair to say but further than that, it's not worth trying to separate them.

FWIW, I don't think there is one credible "6th biggest club" - there are a fairly obvious top 5 and then there are a bunch that fit into the mid-table bracket (The Dundee Clubs, Killie, Motherwell, etc) - but it's arguing over tiny differences to go further than that...

Agreed. We've obviously won more in the recent history with two cups (1997 & 2012)  but Motherwell have had a better run in the league over the past decade. Much of a muchness.  We had 4 seasons in row in Europe late 90s/00s but you did exact same a decade later.

Both consistently in the top flight over the past 25 years which only Celtic & Aberdeen can beat.

8 hours ago, Topscot said:

7 top half finishes in 20 years is pretty dismal for a team claiming to be the 6th biggest in Scotland.

And in the last 20 years your club died. 

Pretty dismal for a team claiming to be 1 of the 2 biggest in the country. 

Is Erwin even very good? Small purple patch at Motherwell - but I've never been impressed.
Tbh, tonight, in the U20 game, I thought he looked uninterested at times, doesnt look remotely fit & it's rumoured he has an attitude problem, if he doesn't buck up & knuckle down, IMO, he won't be here long under Clarke.

12 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Is Erwin even very good? Small purple patch at Motherwell - but I've never been impressed.

Agreed - I said in July that I was not overly impressed with the thought of Lee Erwin signing for us either, and have not seen anything so far to suggest I was wrong.

Hopefully I will be proved wrong, however I have my doubts though as I don't think he has a particularly good attitude.

Maybe Clarke will give him the kick up the arse he needs. - time will tell.

Edited by paul wright scores

Clarke & Dyer sat in the directors box after the development game, alone, deep in conversation long after most people had left the ground last night. I watched on, as it ended with Clarke shaking his head towards Dyer.

IMO, I think we will see most if not all those "1st team players" on show last night moved on come January.

1 hour ago, C4mmy31 said:

Clarke & Dyer sat in the directors box after the development game, alone, deep in conversation long after most people had left the ground last night. I watched on, as it ended with Clarke shaking his head towards Dyer.

IMO, I think we will see most if not all those "1st team players" on show last night moved on come January.

What was the lineup?