The Great Big Kilmarnock Thread

Really great appointment,  there was me worried that we were going to get one of the usual Scottish manager dross. 

Feel free to quote this in five months time, when we are relegated with only one win to his name. 

The one thing I don't get with this appointment is Steve Clarke deciding to accept it. He probably could have got a higher reputation job done South - failed - and still eased into a good position in Scotland. If he fails at Killie, his reputation will be pretty much done. Bold move on his part. Excellent appointment by Killie.

5 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

The one thing I don't get with this appointment is Steve Clarke deciding to accept it. He probably could have got a higher reputation job done South - failed - and still eased into a good position in Scotland. If he fails at Killie, his reputation will be pretty much done. Bold move on his part. Excellent appointment by Killie.

Family of Killie fans, his brothers probably threatened to introduce to him to happaccie and his accountant if he refused the job. 

In one smooth move, Mr. Johnston takes Killie from the wheelie bin at the back of Home Bargains to the ‘Romantic Meal for Two’ chill cabinet at M&S.

Good appointment.

The only problem being MJ left the club almost 4 months ago .... Oops

On ‎14‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 13:12, Ludo*1 said:

He got WBA their highest ever EPL finish, got Reading to their first FA Cup Semi in 30 odd years and got manager of the month in the EPL.

I know that's not exactly winning stuff(surely a Dundee fan is used to not winning anything)  but it's decent enough and certainly not a failure. 

He's no Neil McCann, ill give you that!

This might help you understand why SC applied and took the job. Baz from the TiK board is replying to Tam McManus' article in today's Herald.......

"In the main the article is spot on...but he's wrong in thinking that SC is taking the job because he's been out of the game for a wee while and is looking for a way a back in. He's taking the job because he is interested in a long term project and as far as I am aware, this is not a stepping stone to something else, Killie are not just a way to reassert his credentials...his credentials were never in any doubt. That's not to say if he takes us from the brink of relegation to be a top club again that if Chelsea or Liverpool come calling he wouldn't consider it I'd imagine! I'm just saying that McManus is painting this is a mercy appointment and that's not the case here, Steve sees us a challenge, not a ticket to get back in the game"

If you don't think he'd jump ship if a big English job came up then you're deluding yourself.  I'd be pretty happy if that happened though, because it would mean that he had done a good job at Killie.
I'm not disputing that, obviously he would go if an offer of a bigger club, appealed to him. The point was most people can't get their heads around why he chose to "come back up the road" so to speak and see it as SC desperate to get back into management, which according to Baz isn't the case. Hopefully he has the kind of impact TB had when he arrived from Celtic.

22 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

This might help you understand why SC applied and took the job. Baz from the TiK board is replying to Tam McManus' article in today's Herald.......

"In the main the article is spot on...but he's wrong in thinking that SC is taking the job because he's been out of the game for a wee while and is looking for a way a back in. He's taking the job because he is interested in a long term project and as far as I am aware this is not a stepping stone to something else, Killie are not just a way to reassert his credentials...his credentials were never in any doubt. That's not to say if he takes us from the brink of relegation to be a top club again that if Chelsea or Liverpool come calling he wouldn't consider it I'd imagine! I'm just saying that McManus is painting this is a mercy appointment and that's not the case here, Steve sees us a challenge, not a ticket to get back in the game"

Baz  fromTiK board "as far as I am aware, this is not a stepping stone to something else"

Looks like by putting it in print it will make that quote look real ? We all know the reality is if a better paid more personally challenging opportunity comes his way e.g. pitting his tactical awareness against top league managers down south he will be offski. I am using Alex Neil as a case in point , in several interviews Alex referred to Hamilton as his club whereas most managers refer to the club by their name, he said it would take an unbelievable set of circumstances to prise him away from " his club" but alas nbthe very first club who came calling who offered him the chance to secure his families future and give him the opportunity to test himself at a higher level he jumped ship pronto, Clarke I imagine doesn't have the same financial necessity as Neil had but the lure of testing himself to the fullest will always be a massive pull for him , I guess it depends how he gets on at Kilmarnock will decide whether he attracts any interest from England.

Just now, happyaccie said:

Baz  fromTiK board "as far as I am aware, this is not a stepping stone to something else"

Looks like by putting it in print it will make that quote look real ? We all know the reality is if a better paid more personally challenging opportunity comes his way e.g. pitting his tactical awareness against top league managers down south he will be offski. I am using Alex Neil as a case in point , in several interviews Alex referred to Hamilton as his club whereas most managers refer to the club by their name, he said it would take an unbelievable set of circumstances to prise him away from " his club" but alas nbthe very first club who came calling who offered him the chance to secure his families future and give him the opportunity to test himself at a higher level he jumped ship pronto, Clarke I imagine doesn't have the same financial necessity as Neil had but the lure of testing himself to the fullest will always be a massive pull for him , I guess it depends how he gets on at Kilmarnock will decide whether he attracts any interest from England.

Clarke doesn't need to work full stop, he's more than financially stable and could retire if he wanted.

He never applied for the job, Killie asked to speak to him, through a third party/friend and it went on from there.

From what I've heard from various sources at the club is that Clarke wanted assurances about future plans etc, more so than say his January budget, so I'm fairly confident unless a big club down south comes calling he'll stick it out.

Time will tell but he certainly doesn't need the money, so I doubt he'd jump ship for some shite like Preston or Barnsley.

I'm not disputing that, obviously he would go if an offer of a bigger club, appealed to him. The point was most people can't get their heads around why he chose to "come back up the road" so to speak and see it as SC desperate to get back into management, which according to Baz isn't the case. Hopefully he has the kind of impact TB had when he arrived from Celtic.

I'm not trying to be disrespectful, but it was clearly because he wanted to get back in management and if a shite team down South offered him more money, he'd be off like a shot. Just like the vast majority of his fellow top flight managers in Scotland, it's just a stepping stone and an opportunity to be back in the limelight.

24 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Clarke doesn't need to work full stop, he's more than financially stable and could retire if he wanted.

He never applied for the job, Killie asked to speak to him, through a third party/friend and it went on from there.

From what I've heard from various sources at the club is that Clarke wanted assurances about future plans etc, more so than say his January budget, so I'm fairly confident unless a big club down south comes calling he'll stick it out.

Time will tell but he certainly doesn't need the money, so I doubt he'd jump ship for some shite like Preston or Barnsley.

Sorry conflicting information will cloud someone's post , C4mmy 's response to ludo commenced with this might help you understand why SC applied for and took the job , You're response to my post included the line he never applied for the post . You intimated the club requested to talk to him about the vacancy he agreed to this request.

You then weaken you're post by saying as far as you aware from various sources at the club ( you then list Clarke's assurances) these are all hypothetical in reality as you are only surmising the sources are providing factual dialogue between Clarke and the person/ persons responsible for his appointment . The appointment of SC should be rejoiced by Kilmarnock fans , and dreaded by fans of most other clubs in Scotland  because his  C/V implies he is capable of making Kilmarnock a regular top six club , but for anyone to think Clarke himself doesn't view this as a stepping stone is extremely misguided .