Steve Paterson

Blue-Toon

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it wasn't for Steve Paterson I don't think Caley would exist, we'd have gone bankrupt. He took over at a very fractious time post-merger and built at least two, possibly three, great teams (3rd division team, 2nd division/SuperCaleyGoBallistic team and the team we had when he left) and played fantastic football. Every season he was our manager we finished top goalscorers in our league, just about. So many legends of our club were down to him - Jim Calder, Richard Hastings, Ross Tokely, Grant Munro, Bobby Mann, Russell Duncan, Roy McBain, Paul Cherry, Miek Teasdale, Barry Robson, Barry Wilson, Ian Stewart, Paul Ritchie, Dennis Wyness, Brian Thomson.

During his final months with us (when his life was falling to pieces through gambling and alcoholism) we played the best football I think I've ever seen from us. You'd turn up every week knowing that we'd probably score five goals.

I fucking love the man.

Similar to his Aberdeen career, only we were wondering who would put five past us next. Awful manager, awful person, shafted poor,shearer.

• 10 months later...

Part of me wants this lot to be from the great man himself rather than a pisstake.  Heard him being interviewed a couple of weeks ago (Five Live or perhaps Radio Scotland) and his honesty re his problems and the effect they had on his career was really sobering (no pun intended...or was that too easy?).  The only time he criticised others was when he said that they should have sacked him earlier because of the state he got himself in.  Classic Scottish sporting legend.  Bags of talent and a self destructive streak.

On players making their own way home. Trouble is with 'Pele' you don't really know if he's joking or not. He has his own way of discipline, back in our 1st Division days first season up I think we were playing Ayr Utd on a weekday evening, a wet and windy night if I mind and we had Ross Tokely sent off for reacting to one of the Ayr players winding him up. So when everyone went back to the dressing room at half time the gaffer told Rosscoe to get out and that meant out of the building. So Rosscoe had to spend the next hour standing outside the front door of the stadium still in his playing gear in the cold and pouring rain until the game finished. Pretty sure that was the point thereafter we saw a massive improvement from Rosscoe and his attitude on the pitch after that.

Steve Paterson played a big part in the making of a legend.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Have only recently found this thread.  Sadly it perpetuates sterotypes and sometimes lies about Pel.  He is a decent and hugely talented fitba person. To say he was "sheets to the wind" at any Formartine game  [ or in clubhouse thereafter] is simply a lie -- i was at every one of them and he was a sober as judge at each.  He [deservedly] got flayed for a huge indiscretion at Aberdeen donkeys' years ago, but hasn't to my knowledge really f----d up in that way since,  The deal at Formartine - as it is with Hunter, is win the title in 3 years or you will be replaced.  Pel came within one game of it.

He is a really decent guy who more or less manages the demons that 40 plus years in fitba have given him .  He deserves much better than  the smeary lies some of you give him here.  Talk about kicking somebody when they're down.  Get a life!

After a poor start to the season and looking rather doomed to relegation Dufftown managed to stay up. Is 'Pele' still the gaffer there? if so that was some achievement considering where Dufftown have historically spent their existence in the North Juniors.

9 hours ago, CityDave said:

After a poor start to the season and looking rather doomed to relegation Dufftown managed to stay up. Is 'Pele' still the gaffer there? if so that was some achievement considering where Dufftown have historically spent their existence in the North Juniors.

He resigned as manager at the end of the season. Mike Morrison has replaced him. I see Keith have a vacancy... wonder if Pele fancies another crack the the Highland League?

Archived