Argentina

S7C

Anyone ever been?

Going for a fortnight in late April / early May (£245 return courtesy of a Lufthansa balls up) and was thinking of taking in Buenos Aires and Salta up in the north west with a side trip to Montevideo for a day. Would love to go to Patagonia but think it's the wrong time of year for it and don't want to disappoint myself by cramming it in and not getting the most out of it.

I was in Buenos Aires for a weekend a few years ago. It reminded me a bit of a rundown Paris with wide boulevards & lots of street cafes all mixed with a bit of South American craziness.

I remember going to Boca and the Recoleta Cemetery. I ate great steaks and drank so much red wine I thought I could Tango (I couldn't).

Other than that I can't recall much but it was a good weekend.

Anyone ever been?

Going for a fortnight in late April / early May (£245 return courtesy of a Lufthansa balls up) and was thinking of taking in Buenos Aires and Salta up in the north west with a side trip to Montevideo for a day. Would love to go to Patagonia but think it's the wrong time of year for it and don't want to disappoint myself by cramming it in and not getting the most out of it.

Fucking collaborator. You should be shot.

Anyone ever been?

How the feck did you manage that? I'm looking at Lufthansa's website and can't find anything less than about £700 return.

Been to Buenos Aires and Ushuaia plus Iguassu falls. Mendoza is really nice as well from what I've heard from folk who've been, as is the Perito Moreno glacier.

Not the easiest or cheapest place to get around internally, BsAs to Ushuaia was a 3.5 hour flight. I went in the middle of their winter though, Ushuaia was covered in snow - was really picturesque and plenty of good walks in the national park but depends what you're after I suppose.

Montevideo is definitely worth an overnight at some point.

The peso has collapsed since I was there 4 years ago, was 6.5 to the pound then, nearly 13 now and food / drink was pretty reasonable at the old exchange rate so it will be fantastic value now.

• 2 years later...

Was in Buenos Aires a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it.  Based on my experience, a week will be more than enough time.  The city itself is nice enough, but is not unlike a number of Western European cities - the buildings are generally quite Spanish-influenced, but there is also a sort of shabby Paris feel to it as mentioned above.  We paid an absolute fortune to go to a Boca game, but it was worth it.  La Recoleta is definitely worth exploring, and my wife really enjoyed the Evita Museum (I was at a conference that day and didn't go with her).  The San Telmo Sunday market is ridiculous - it goes on and on for seemingly miles, and everything was incredibly cheap but seemed decent enough quality.

If you're there for a week, I would recommend at least a day trip out of the city.  You can get a ferry to Colonia in Uruguay which is a UNESCO World Heritage city (or something like that).  We ended up giving it a miss because we only had a couple of non-conference days, but it looked like it would have been great.  You could also do day trips up to the river delta, but we didn't bother with that either.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2015 at 20:31, tongue_tied_danny said:

How the feck did you manage that? I'm looking at Lufthansa's website and can't find anything less than about £700 return.

Just read this now :lol: Just 2 years and a bit late in replying.

I booked it through a third party travel agency called Logitravel. They never added the fuel surcharge or taxes to the ticket and I just didn't say anything. Got an upgrade on the way home as well which made it all the more ridiculous :lol:

I posted a little in the South America thread as well, so I won't go into much more detail. Buenos Aires is great and I went to the north west as well. Cheap, friendly people, amazing steak.

On 19/11/2017 at 22:53, invergowrie arab said:

Bump for this. Anyone else been or have any more info. 

I have decided I fancy a week in Bueno Aires next November. Looks like you can get a decent hotel and flights for around £1k

Peso must be only country more fucked than us as it look like 23 peso to £ now

Thinking similar, maybe September. Norwegian look good, £566 from Gatwick.

Own Grand Palermo Soho was pretty cheap at £40 a night when I was there. Clean, modern rooms, balcony, small rooftop pool, gym. And in a great area. Just across the street from Don Julio which is renowned for it's steaks.

Don't bother staying in the Microcentro or Retiro. They're worth visiting, but when the streets are quiet it isn't safe and you constantly have to be on the watch for pickpockets. San Telmo has charm but it's also on the dodgier side.

Recoleta is a great area. And Palermo. Puerto Madero has a lot of high end hotels and it's nice but it doesn't have the charm or character of other areas of the city.

Archived