Airdrie v Morton

Gary Bollan also made the point about Airdrie's fitness and how it helped us dominate more as the game went on.

We did dominate as the game went on and if our part time players fitness exceeds Morton's full time squad 29 league games plus Cup games into the season, then that should be worrying for Morton fans as well as the other full timers Dunfermline who seem to be in free fall.

I don't think there should be much in it, fitness wise, between part and full time players. Although I'd agree that full time should have a slight advantage.

Being full time should be an advantage with the tactical side of it, but with Duffy in charge, that probably cancels that out.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I was a Morton fan I would be fuming with Duffy's comments in Sunday's papers: 'we matched Airdrie in all departments in the first half' I know the guy isn't telling any lies but surely as a full time side he should be getting much more out of his players, even though they were playing against a pretty solid and fit Airdrie team.

He's in the tele saying 2 mistakes cost us. Fair enough, they did, but also crucial to the result were the glaringly obvious failures across tactics, team selection & substitutions. Most frustrating is his reference to our improvement in the last 15 minutes, which - funnily enough - was directly after our subs were made. Funny that Jim, subs being able to change matches. If only he'd thought to do it 10/15 minutes earlier, as clearly indicated quite loudly by our fans.

Gary Bollan also made the point about Airdrie's fitness and how it helped us dominate more as the game went on.

I'm not totally sure about that, the second half we were the better team but in the last 10 minutes or so Morton were a lot stronger. Hard to say whether that's due to fitness or due to the substitutions they made though. For their goal it looked like we totally switched off, again it may have been tiredness or maybe the players just thought the job was done by that stage.

There's no doubt that Bollan has got us a lot fitter though and that has helped us hugely. I'm always pretty confident now that late on we'll either not concede or will score a goal, under Boyle neither was the case.

I'm not totally sure about that, the second half we were the better team but in the last 10 minutes or so Morton were a lot stronger. Hard to say whether that's due to fitness or due to the substitutions they made though. For their goal it looked like we totally switched off, again it may have been tiredness or maybe the players just thought the job was done by that stage.

There's no doubt that Bollan has got us a lot fitter though and that has helped us hugely. I'm always pretty confident now that late on we'll either not concede or will score a goal, under Boyle neither was the case.

Sure in the Pele Podcast this week Gregor Buchanan was saying that Balmer and Bollan had most of the training focussing on fitness. I suppose its mostly a get-out clause when a new manager comes in to say that the players aren't fit, but in this case where we were to we we are now is night and day.

Duffy just doesn't have a clue how to change the game when we're up against it. It was pretty clear to every single Morton fan just after half time that it just wasn't working and changes were needed. It took Duffy until 70 minutes to finally make two subs - which evidentially were wrong substitutions.

I liked Jim Duffy as our manager (Eventually) but he was guilty of the above with us aswell

He should Bring in Chic Charnley. Players love him.

Our defending for the goals is criminal, but both were excellently taken by Airdrie. Pretty much the same could be said for our consolation goal, mind you.

Would be interesting to know how many goals we've conceded this season where Kilday had sold the space behind him and no one has been making in the middle. I'd guess double figures.

Duffy praising Kilday in the Tele today. Says he's been one of our most consistent performers all season. Aye Jim, consistently shite.

Terrible going forward and never bothers his arse to get back when we lose the ball. I'd say he's been one of the worst players in our team this year.

Selected Duffy post-match comments:

Lee has been one of our most consistent players this season, if not the most consistent,

surely to goodness you look at the balance over the season and see that his contribution has been excellent right through the season.

:lol:

Our defending for the goals is criminal, but both were excellently taken by Airdrie. Pretty much the same could be said for our consolation goal, mind you.

Pea so's reaction at about 27 seconds says it all. He must be thinking what the f*ck have I done coming back here.

Archived