World Cup 2018 Qualifying

It might not feel that long ago since Germany lifted the trophy in Brazil but the road to Russia 2018 starts tomorrow (12th March).

The AFC gets things under way. Bhutan, the lowest ranked nation in the FIFA world rankings are taking part in their first ever qualifying campaign.

f9havs.jpg

2018_world_cup_qualification.PNG

I'm sure this map will get more interesting in the weeks, months and even years ahead.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How can a country of a billion people be so bad at football? Why didn't they embrace the beautiful game over cricket?

If Blatter really cared about expanding the game in Asia surely the 2022 tournament should have been in India or China.

How can a country of a billion people be so bad at football? Why didn't they embrace the beautiful game over cricket?

If Blatter really cared about expanding the game in Asia surely the 2022 tournament should have been in India or China.

Pretty hard for them to award the World Cup to countries which didn't apply to host it.

Chinese football is corrupt and there doesn't appear to be anything resembling a "grassroots" football set-up. Chinese football doesn't get much in the way of state sponsorship compared to other sports (it doesn't fit into their "cultural" approach to sport). That said, the government is apparently trying to reform the approach to football due to "embarrassment".

India seems to lack anything resembling half-decent "football infrastructure". The embracing "the beautiful game [sic] over cricket" part is presumably (and I'm speculating here) due to the ridiculous class/caste system in India. Cricket was introduced by the elites and initially stayed as a sport for the upper and middle classes, whereas football was traditionally working class.

India's trying to get it's act together. I think they copied the original US model of importing bog standard players from traditional football countries and merging them with well past it names eg Darryl Duffy meets Robert Pires, so a long way to go even if some clubs are getting 60k crowds. I'm sure the world's corporate sector will speed them on when they realise the potential market and that not all owners are like the Venky's.

That's a great point, India and China would have been great candidates.

India could barely organise a Commonwealth Games.

Scotland have done three with their eyes closed- all the more reason for us to get a WC some time soon IMO.

WC2018 LMS sounds good BTW, I'd be in.

Archived