World Cup 2018 Qualifying

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 17/11/2017 at 01:17, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Senegal were starting to look like they could go all the way until they ran out of steam in the Turkey game. Presumably Bruno Metsu would've shuffled the pack a bit more if he'd realised how far they could get.

I'd no idea Metsu had carked it a few years back  :o

ye he was about 57 i think 3 years ago ?

Can't see them finishing ahead of Belgium, so that would probably leave them Poland/Colombia in the last 16 and Germany in the 1/4s.

If they get through, I don't think it really matters too much if they go through first or second. Likely Poland or Colombia as a winnable Second Round, and Brazil or Germany as a Quarter-Final beasting regardless.

6 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

If they get through, I don't think it really matters too much if they go through first or second. Likely Poland or Colombia as a winnable Second Round, and Brazil or Germany as a Quarter-Final beasting regardless.

It's winnable, but I wouldn't say it's given. Whilst they're a better team on paper than those two, they haven't won a knockout match since Ecuador in 2002.

Oh yeah, "winnable" doesn't necessarily mean I think they would win. I'd fancy either to beat England but it would be close. Close enough to give the media some imagined injustice to moan about afterwards. A five or six nil loss to Brazil or Germany might be more fun, I can't decide.

a lot of the groups have countries that are very much the same quality , A ,C D,H, F - Germany  will be happy the rest more or less the same in that group,  Brazil will be happy,Serbia  nothing special,  Mexico always an oddity can be great then average , always seem to get a good european country and a good asian / african in their group,   England well i knew they would get an easy group, on paper at least, Uruguay/ Colombia  a good dark horse, Iceland / Denmark/ Sweden  like to see them  in the next round but  so so with them as with Peru, although i think they will be rubbish next year but would like to see them in round 2, like to see Morocco/Egypt in round 2 but cant see it, not keen on  Senegal/Tunisia.Iran/Saudi  can f==k off

my last 16 that i would like to see

Colombia,Japan,

Belgium,Panama

Germany Mexico

Denmark ,Peru

Croatia . Iceland

Morocco........... not keen on the others ,so will go with  Portugal just to see Ronaldo  cry in round 2

Brazil, Serbia

Uruguay, Egypt

and all that will never happen.

If England can't reach the quarters then that's a massive failure. No way they should fail to get out of the group, although Poland/Colombia is a tricky last 16 game. 

On paper, Morocco vs Iran is the shittiest World Cup game I can remember. 

Four games on the opening Saturday though, starting at 10am. Some day of boozing that'll be.

13 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

On paper, Morocco vs Iran is the shittiest World Cup game I can remember. 

Will have to go some way to top Greece-Japan at the last one. In an exciting WC that game had no redeeming features whatsoever.

Archived