My book "KERBY", rated 5-stars

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:lol:

It doesn't take "determination" to get published this way. So long as it's not breaking any laws, Amazon will "publish" any old shite this way - the cut they get from any sales more than justifies the site space used & whatever print-on-demand copies are sold.

It's the old Citron Press scam on an industrial scale:-

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2000/aug/16/books.booksnews

Any one of you out there could get the free software and do this yourself with any old rubbish. Go on, try it. Amazon doesn't care so long as you follow their guidelines, the cut they take from the meagre sales made (& their size of operations) more than justifies any expense from the limited downloads or pay to print.

At least this one frees the authors from falling for the vanity press trap of paying for their own printing (in that respect for once good luck to Amazon). If it stopped Deadasdillinger from potentially being conned out of thousands of pounds, three cheers, but please don't be naive enough to think it's any big deal to get published in this manner.

But pity the poor authors when they start wondering when they're going to make any money from the fruits of their labours, & discover the hard way Amazon aren't doing it because they want to "revolutionise the printing industry". It's because if there's a sucker to rip off, they're happy to help them on their way.

For example: http://www.takepermission.com/hidden-fee-self-publishing-amazon/

But jealous of a vanity press ebook which - from what little the author has deemed fit to actually show - reads little better than if he'd cut and paste the routine nostalgia circle jerk threads which can be read on P&B daily & everywhere else on the net for free? Please, spare us all the display of faux outrage: if the same post had been made first by any of the usual suspects you brown nose on here 24/7, you would have merrily joined in:

See Spike and Chester? See Chester? That's you three - devoid of either original thoughts or a spine.

Hi mate,

Can you provide a link to the albums you've published, songs you've written, football teams you've played for & managed, books you've written, restaurants you've cooked for, cars you've built... and just about anything else you've ever held an opinion on but have never done yourself?

See where your Tu quoque fallacy takes you in turn? :smartass

Feeble even by your snot nosed standards Smurph - but that's what happens when you try playing to the crowd. Let it be a little lesson.

:lol:

It doesn't take "determination" to get published this way. So long as it's not breaking any laws, Amazon will "publish" any old shite this way - the cut they get from any sales more than justifies the site space used & whatever print-on-demand copies are sold.

It's the old Citron Press scam on an industrial scale:-

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2000/aug/16/books.booksnews

Any one of you out there could get the free software and do this yourself with any old rubbish. Go on, try it. Amazon doesn't care so long as you follow their guidelines, the cut they take from the meagre sales made (& their size of operations) more than justifies any expense from the limited downloads or pay to print.

At least this one frees the authors from falling for the vanity press trap of paying for their own printing (in that respect for once good luck to Amazon). If it stopped Deadasdillinger from potentially being conned out of thousands of pounds, three cheers, but please don't be naive enough to think it's any big deal to get published in this manner.

But pity the poor authors when they start wondering when they're going to make any money from the fruits of their labours, & discover the hard way Amazon aren't doing it because they want to "revolutionise the printing industry". It's because if there's a sucker to rip off, they're happy to help them on their way.

For example: http://www.takepermission.com/hidden-fee-self-publishing-amazon/

But jealous of a vanity press ebook which - from what little the author has deemed fit to actually show - reads little better than if he'd cut and paste the routine nostalgia circle jerk threads which can be read on P&B daily & everywhere else on the net for free? Please, spare us all the display of faux outrage: if the same post had been made first by any of the usual suspects you brown nose on here 24/7, you would have merrily joined in:

See Spike and Chester? See Chester? That's you three - devoid of either original thoughts or a spine.

Hi mate,

Can you provide a link to the albums you've published, songs you've written, football teams you've played for & managed, books you've written, restaurants you've cooked for, cars you've built... and just about anything else you've ever held an opinion on but have never done yourself?

See where your Tu quoque fallacy takes you in turn? :smartass

Feeble even by your snot nosed standards Smurph - but that's what happens when you try playing to the crowd. Let it be a little lesson.

ironically, this post is so long it could fit quite well on that Amazon site

Backies or the Grand National in our neck of the woods. I'll order this as an e book tomorrow when it's released.

Is the correct answer.

I'll order it for the Kindle also.

Cheers guys, much obliged. Really hope you both enjoy it.

Are there any pictures in it?

Good luck!

None. By the time I'd added a story about me blowing on my willy in the middle of Tesco (aged 3), three classmates and I vomiting all over a visitor to primary school, and two shit-related incidents in my teens, I decided I'd embarrassed myself enough without adding in whatever ridiculous old Kodaks I could dig out from up the loft.

Are we getting a chapter to read?

Yes. Imminently, if I can successfully jump the technical hurdles required to do so - I'll see about attaching it in a minute. I'd meant to put one up almost as soon as I'd made the thread, but my 18 month old boy decides what goes on in our household

My published book was, Kerby;The Rules.

It was put forward to support The Kerby Association in their bid to have the sport included in the recent Commonwealth Games.

I mention that very possibility in the book, in a small section about playing kerby:

Truly, the sport of champions. Every couple of years I await the news that it has been added to the Olympic or Commonwealth programme, and am eternally disappointed. Forget China, America, Australia: Britain would bring home a clean sweep of golds in Olympic Kerby.

Better than the fucking rhythmic gymnastics, for a start.

I always called the kerb a kribby.

I will buy this book when someone confirms that it's okay.

My maw's been reading it since yesterday and told me today she's absolutely loving it, if that's any use.

In all seriousness, the half a dozen folk who have finished it (bearing in mind it only became available Thursday night) all seem to love it. Hopefully the first serious, non- Eoin-Doyle-bashing P&B review will appear shortly.

Surely it's "Kerby" but pronounced "Kurby"?

Spot on.

Sample chapter.

Hard one to pick, as I obviously don't want to fire up what I'd consider to be one of the very best chapters and therefore spoil a potential highlight of the book, but I'd certainly stand by this and think it should give folk a laugh and an idea of the tone and style of the book. This is one of two chapters in the book dealing with the subjects at high school and the shite we got up to with the poor teachers.

Other chapters include things like TV & film of the era, video games, childhood toys and games, trying to burst your status as a 'VL', the sick incident mentioned previously...

Have a swatch :)

KERBY - sample chapter.pdf

Sample chapter.

Hard one to pick, as I obviously don't want to fire up what I'd consider to be one of the very best chapters and therefore spoil a potential highlight of the book, but I'd certainly stand by this and think it should give folk a laugh and an idea of the tone and style of the book. This is one of two chapters in the book dealing with the subjects at high school and the shite we got up to with the poor teachers.

Other chapters include things like TV & film of the era, video games, childhood toys and games, trying to burst your status as a 'VL', the sick incident mentioned previously...

Have a swatch :)

attachicon.gifKERBY - sample chapter.pdf

may just be me but I can't open your link...

Same, not working at this end either. If it's got a chapter on breaking your VL status, then I'm well sold.

It's showing that 6 folk have downloaded it, hopefully successfully? I certainly gave it a test and it seemed to work no bother.

Next time I'm on the computer I'll try hosting it on a file-sharing site and give you the link for that, if it'll help.

I mention that very possibility in the book, in a small section about playing kerby:

Truly, the sport of champions. Every couple of years I await the news that it has been added to the Olympic or Commonwealth programme, and am eternally disappointed. Forget China, America, Australia: Britain would bring home a clean sweep of golds in Olympic Kerby.

Better than the fucking rhythmic gymnastics, for a start.

You'll be hearing from my fucking lawyer!

Archived