My book "KERBY", rated 5-stars

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It takes dedication and effort to complete a project like this, so credit to you for seeing it through (I've half-written a few books and always lose steam about half way through). For what it's worth, I like the cover — it looks lo-fi and that's certainly inkeeping with what I consider to be an 80's/90's Scottish upbringing.

Good luck with it, pal.

Cheers for the kind words, folks.

It takes dedication and effort to complete a project like this, so credit to you for seeing it through (I've half-written a few books and always lose steam about half way through). For what it's worth, I like the cover — it looks lo-fi and that's certainly inkeeping with what I consider to be an 80's/90's Scottish upbringing.

Good luck with it, pal.

It's a piece of advice you'll hear a lot, but I found planning it all out did help. I've got folders full of writing ideas stretching back years, but this is the first time I've seen it through to publication. The fact that self-publishing means you can be assured that it'll see the light of day in some format is a great motivator. Yes, as alluded to, it means the bar for entry is really low, but I've just tried to ensure as best possible that it's a good quality product I'm asking folk to part money for - I'm hoping people will agree once they've read it.

ETA: Oh, and I totally agree about Bruce's cover. It's exactly what I wanted - the fact that it's a freehand sketch is totally in keeping with the subject of childhood, and the picture it depicts should take you back to the glory days in a heartbeat. I'm delighted with it. Been on the internet long enough to know that you'll never please everyone and those who aren't impressed with your work won't be shy in letting you know, though.

That it was published via Amazon's vanity publishing tool CreateSpace doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the end product.

The dreadful cover by Bruce Mack even less so - you'd have been better off using a photo of a football and Irn Bru bottle.

But please, thrill us with a sample chapter - after all, never judge a book by the arsewipe of a cover.

Were you my standard grade English teacher?

That it was published via Amazon's vanity publishing tool CreateSpace doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the end product.

The dreadful cover by Bruce Mack even less so - you'd have been better off using a photo of a football and Irn Bru bottle.

But please, thrill us with a sample chapter - after all, never judge a book by the arsewipe of a cover.

What a complete bellend you are. Probably achieved absolutely f**k all in life and go around mewling jealously at those who have.

Good luck Deadasdilinger. Takes determination to get published.

Hi mate,

Can you provide a link to the books you've written and have been published? Very interested in reading them.

Thanks,

Smurph.

tumblr_nj3ygtOZ5Q1qb5gkjo4_500.gif

WaffenThinMint is absolutely SEETHING that he's never been published. Chin up, hen, I'm sure David Icke would be happy to publish your inane, weird nonsense for you.

WTM; WTF GTF STFU.

What a complete bellend you are. Probably achieved absolutely f**k all in life and go around mewling jealously at those who have.

Good luck Deadasdilinger. Takes determination to get published.

:lol:

It doesn't take "determination" to get published this way. So long as it's not breaking any laws, Amazon will "publish" any old shite this way - the cut they get from any sales more than justifies the site space used & whatever print-on-demand copies are sold.

It's the old Citron Press scam on an industrial scale:-

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2000/aug/16/books.booksnews

Any one of you out there could get the free software and do this yourself with any old rubbish. Go on, try it. Amazon doesn't care so long as you follow their guidelines, the cut they take from the meagre sales made (& their size of operations) more than justifies any expense from the limited downloads or pay to print.

At least this one frees the authors from falling for the vanity press trap of paying for their own printing (in that respect for once good luck to Amazon). If it stopped Deadasdillinger from potentially being conned out of thousands of pounds, three cheers, but please don't be naive enough to think it's any big deal to get published in this manner.

But pity the poor authors when they start wondering when they're going to make any money from the fruits of their labours, & discover the hard way Amazon aren't doing it because they want to "revolutionise the printing industry". It's because if there's a sucker to rip off, they're happy to help them on their way.

For example: http://www.takepermission.com/hidden-fee-self-publishing-amazon/

But jealous of a vanity press ebook which - from what little the author has deemed fit to actually show - reads little better than if he'd cut and paste the routine nostalgia circle jerk threads which can be read on P&B daily & everywhere else on the net for free? Please, spare us all the display of faux outrage: if the same post had been made first by any of the usual suspects you brown nose on here 24/7, you would have merrily joined in:

See Spike and Chester? See Chester? That's you three - devoid of either original thoughts or a spine.

Hi mate,

Can you provide a link to the books you've written and have been published? Very interested in reading them.

Thanks,

Smurph.

Hi mate,

Can you provide a link to the albums you've published, songs you've written, football teams you've played for & managed, books you've written, restaurants you've cooked for, cars you've built... and just about anything else you've ever held an opinion on but have never done yourself?

See where your Tu quoque fallacy takes you in turn? :smartass

Feeble even by your snot nosed standards Smurph - but that's what happens when you try playing to the crowd. Let it be a little lesson.

It doesn't take "determination" to get published this way. So long as it's not breaking any laws, Amazon will "publish" any old shite this way - the cut they get from any sales more than justifies the site space used & whatever print-on-demand copies are sold.

Any one of you out there could get the free software and do this yourself with any old rubbish. Go on, try it. Amazon doesn't care so long as you follow their guidelines, the cut they take from the meagre sales made (& their size of operations) more than justifies any expense from the limited downloads or pay to print.

At least this one frees the authors from falling for the vanity press trap of paying for their own printing (in that respect for once good luck to Amazon). If it stopped Deadasdillinger from potentially being conned out of thousands of pounds, three cheers, but please don't be naive enough to think it's any big deal to get published in this manner.

But pity the poor authors when they start wondering when they're going to make any money from the fruits of their labours, & discover the hard way Amazon aren't doing it because they want to "revolutionise the printing industry". It's because if there's a sucker to rip off, they're happy to help them on their way.

But jealous of a vanity press ebook which - from what little the author has deemed fit to actually show - reads little better than if he'd cut and paste the routine nostalgia circle jerk threads which can be read on P&B daily & everywhere else on the net for free? Please, spare us all the display of faux outrage: if the same post had been made first by any of the usual suspects you brown nose on here 24/7, you would have merrily joined in:

See Spike and Chester? See Chester? That's you three - devoid of either original thoughts or a spine.

Hi mate,

Can you provide a link to the albums you've published, songs you've written, football teams you've played for & managed, books you've written, restaurants you've cooked for, cars you've built... and just about anything else you've ever held an opinion on but have never done yourself?

Feeble even by your snot nosed standards Smurph - but that's what happens when you try playing to the crowd. Let it be a little lesson.

post-16976-14256820970475_thumb.jpg

Good luck but it's called cribby.

Bloody Dundonians, man. Weirdos.

I do mention in the book that regional variations of games invariably crop up - what my mate remembers as "Gairdens", I knew as "Granny" - running through garden after garden, louping fences and hedges like an Olympic hurdler to the chagrin of the elderly.

But Cribby is a new one on me - I thought it was pretty widely known as Kerby!

Bloody Dundonians, man. Weirdos.

I do mention in the book that regional variations of games invariably crop up - what my mate remembers as "Gairdens", I knew as "Granny" - running through garden after garden, louping fences and hedges like an Olympic hurdler to the chagrin of the elderly.

But Cribby is a new one on me - I thought it was pretty widely known as Kerby!

I'll await confirmation from other dundonians but in invergowrie it was nothing other than cribby.

The other one was backie trooping weirdly in birkie & muirhead as grand national.

At Harris academy granny was the same game as walley ie kicking a tennis ball of a wall.

Hi mate,

Almost every one of Pie and Bovril's catchphrases is actually true for that post.

Archived