"I Became A Meme; Vote Alexander in 2015"

yoda

If I get the opportunity to ask him (or indeed any of his hand picked group of canvassers), I'll ask. Unfortunately I've yet to bump into a LD stall in Inverness city centre and - albeit it is a fairly sizeable constituency so they can't be everywhere - the Liberal Democrats don't canvass where I stay. They have a select few areas where they canvass in Inverness.

Fair play to them though, preying on those who don't realise that Westminster can't dictate SNP policy at Holyrood. It's a guarantee of a couple hundred votes.

It is the case. Or at least it appears to be the case that NHS Highland (including Argyll & Bute) is underfunded but promises have been made about a slight funding increase over 2015/16. Alexander will probably get a fair few votes based on discontent over the SNP's policies impacting on the Highlands (i.e., centralisation of essential services).

To be fair to his canvassing team it will be so miniscule that they can only target certain areas due to the time, and as you say it's a massive constituency. In other words they have very few activists. And if they start paying people to do it they end up counting towards election expenses.

He needs to show face to his core voters otherwise they get pissed off and end up voting for someone else.

The one thing that has pissed me off the most about this election is the 'Scottish' parties have all been guilty of trying to make it into a Holyrood election. Thankfully after the referendum the Scottish Electorate on the whole are now clued up to the situation.

I don't know the ins and outs of the NHS Highland situation, but my opinion with the centralisation issue is that the devolved authorities have made such a pigs ear of running things over the years they had to reined in. Hopefully there will be a point where things can be spread around the country again. I'm all for devolving power but not when there aren't capable and/or honourable people to run things. You only have to look at some of the councils to see where I am coming from.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paddy Ashdown was just on Sky News saying he could "guarantee" that Beaker would keep his seat.

Does he know something we don't, given Ashcroft had him 29% behind the SNP?

Perhaps Paddy is going to use his ex military contacts to wipe out the SNP vote with some strategic air strikes.

Surely using the word guarantee here must be subject to some sort of outside scrutiny. How can you guarantee something when the people haven't voted yet?

Perhaps Paddy is going to use his ex military contacts to wipe out the SNP vote with some strategic air strikes.

Surely using the word guarantee here must be subject to some sort of outside scrutiny. How can you guarantee something when the people haven't voted yet?

You say canvassing I say reconnaissance ;)

Archived