Celtic vs St Johnstone 04/3/15

If we'd won on Saturday this would be a bit of a freebie for us. Unfortunately that's not the case. Can only hope that having got a massive result on Sunday Celtic maybe take their eye off the ball a bit. That's probably hoping for too much though.

Disagree about dropping Kane - the outball he provides has been very useful for us recently and we missed it as soon as he went off on Saturday and I don't think he did too badly against Celtic either last month. This is probably a better game for Murray Davidson as the defensive presence he'll provide will be more useful than it was on Saturday when we were dominating possession.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we'd won on Saturday this would be a bit of a freebie for us. Unfortunately that's not the case. Can only hope that having got a massive result on Sunday Celtic maybe take their eye off the ball a bit. That's probably hoping for too much though.

Disagree about dropping Kane - the outball he provides has been very useful for us recently and we missed it as soon as he went off on Saturday and I don't think he did too badly against Celtic either last month. This is probably a better game for Murray Davidson as the defensive presence he'll provide will be more useful than it was on Saturday when we were dominating possession.

Agree with this. If we're going to drop a forward, I'd be more tempted to drop Maclean for McFadden. They're similar players for me and they'll probably end up getting in each other's way more than Kane and McFadden would. It would be a good education for Kane as well, playing with someone as intelligent as McFadden. I thought we really lost momentum on Saturday when Kane was taken off too.

Wouldn't be against the same 11 again to be honest, especailly if Celtic are going to make some changes as I suspect they might.

I don't actually think Van Dijk and Denayer are anywhere near as good as everyone makes out. Granted they win everything in the air but anytime a physical striker comes up against them on the ground and presses them they struggle a little. Hasslebaink was a prime example last season against Van Dijk - he hated playing against him. I seen something similar in Chris Kane a few weeks back - he pressed them and chased them down and on more than one occasion forced them into mistakes and nipped the ball off their toes. With that in mind I'd be tempted to keep Kane in and replace Maclean with McFadden. We will then rely heavily on O'Halloran to make those runs in behind.

The biggest problem for Saints will be in defence. I doubt Frazer will be up to another game this week, especially after going off with an injury so it will be up to Scobbie to step up. We really struggle with their height so can see us shipping a couple from corners if we're not on our game.

Deila will be keen to give the players a rest especially with the DU triple-header. Hopefully give some squad players a run out Henderson, Wakaso, Scepovic etc and see what they can do. Could be an interesting match

Think we might make some changes mate but I doubt many squad players will feature. It just so happens that of our key players we either don't have a suitable replacement (eg VVD/Gordon) or they are so fit that they shouldn't have any problems with the run in (Brown/Johansen...In fact, most of the team fall into this category with the chip ban long established). Upfront Scepovic won't feature imo, I think it'll be Guidetti and Griffiths will get the nod for the Cup Final or vice versa. Armstrong and GMS are both ineligible for the Cup Final so I'd expect both to start. For that reason I don't think we'll see Commons, wouldn't be shocked if Henderson or Stokes got a run out with Sunday in mind.

You would have to hope that we could carry on our form and win. Even if he's finished McFadden is obviously still a talented player and if we're not careful he could hurt us.

As has been said ticket prices are just as extortionate for travelling Celtic fans...plus the last time I was at McDiarmid Park the pall still ran out of pies with a good 10 minutes of left of half time! In all seriousness though it is depressing when you consider the prices in places like Germany to see top division football. Don't suppose there is much to be done short of bemoaning the lack of resources our clubs get from Sky etc.

Think we might make some changes mate but I doubt many squad players will feature. It just so happens that of our key players we either don't have a suitable replacement (eg VVD/Gordon) or they are so fit that they shouldn't have any problems with the run in (Brown/Johansen...In fact, most of the team fall into this category with the chip ban long established). Upfront Scepovic won't feature imo, I think it'll be Guidetti and Griffiths will get the nod for the Cup Final or vice versa. Armstrong and GMS are both ineligible for the Cup Final so I'd expect both to start. For that reason I don't think we'll see Commons, wouldn't be shocked if Henderson or Stokes got a run out with Sunday in mind.

You're probably right. Where we have an abundancy of wingers and attacking mids (Commons, Johansen, GMS, Armstrong; Henderson; McGregor; Wakaso; Forrest; Stokes; Boeriggter (hah!)) we are very lacking in central/holding midfielders and defenders, can see if Brown or Biton are injured/suspended then Johansen could play that role and keep the midfield tidy, it's just unfortunately that Mulgrew is still injured as he would fit in that slot no probelem....but that's it! ...FFS we didn't have one defender on the bench on Sunday! Thought it was strange Deila didn't put Matthews at LB where he has featured previously and move Ambrose to RB on Sunday. Also, is Darnell Fisher fit? I'd definitely rather him at RB and Matthews at LB than Ambrose!!

Id be pretty disappointed if McFadden starts. We had success when we pressed Celtic and McFadden doesnt provide that, he seems the type who'd end up trying to take men on instead of holding it up, whereas MacLean would be better at linking up. Kanes a must start too due to his ability to defend from the front. Biggest worry for me is the centre of midfield, Davidsons still a bit of a passengers but remains the best option beside Millar. Would maybe put three in there tbh, but that leaves an isolated forward.

Id be pretty disappointed if McFadden starts. We had success when we pressed Celtic and McFadden doesnt provide that, he seems the type who'd end up trying to take men on instead of holding it up, whereas MacLean would be better at linking up. Kanes a must start too due to his ability to defend from the front. Biggest worry for me is the centre of midfield, Davidsons still a bit of a passengers but remains the best option beside Millar. Would maybe put three in there tbh, but that leaves an isolated forward.

We played brilliant after Davidson went off injured and Kane replaced him , almost looked like we went 4 3 3, pressing full pitch .

I thought we looked much better with Kane on against Celtic a few weeks back although being 2 goals behind perhaps took the sting out of the game a little from their point of view.

Yeah all this talk of differing tactics is pretty pointless as Celtic can play about three different ways at the same level.

If we're going to drop a forward, I'd be more tempted to drop Maclean for McFadden.

I'd be fine with that, Kane is a lot more mobile than Maclean so might stretch them a bit more.

the last time I was at McDiarmid Park the pall still ran out of pies with a good 10 minutes of left of half time!

Welcome to our world. That happens even in a crowd of 3500 so don't feel too special!! ;)

McFadden?

Are people taking the piss? It wasnt that long ago that many were saying they would be glad if he never featured for Saints again, myself included.

I said something like that but this is about the only remaining game where I'd use him. For all his faults, I don't think anybody wanted the ball more than him at Palmerston and there will be more opportunity for him to make passes for O'Halloran on Wednesday. With MacLean and McFadden both liking to drop deeper, I think O'Halloran can provide the out ball.

The argument for Kane and his pressing is a fair enough one though.

Frazer Wright ruled out, which ruins any faint hope of a clean sheet. Can't see us scoring twice, which means 1-1 is the goal now.

Archived