The 2016 US Presidential Election

Adamski

It's still nearly a year until the first primaries, but the potential candidates have already been jostling for position for some time so I thought I'd start a topic on this.

For the Democrats unless something fairly dramatic happens it looks as if Hilary Clinton will be the candidate, although Elizabeth Warren could cause an upset, and Joe Biden is yet to rule himself out of the running.

Among the Republicans the field is wide open, with pretty much anybody who is anybody making the noises that indicate that they might be interested. In fact the only prominent person who has said he won't run again is Mitt Romney. Jeb Bush and Scott Walker are the current favourites though.

A few rumours of Donald Trump putting himself forward as well.

Anyway - a hell of a long way to go, but a fascinating watch for anyone who likes their politics and all the stats and machinations behind it.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The battle for the White house, will be fought between Hilary and Jeb.

If I was guessing now I'd agree with you, and Jeb Bush would presumably come in handy for the GOP in pushing Florida into their column. I must admit that I don't know much about Scott Walker at the moment, but he seems to have quite a bit going for him in terms of appealing across the board to Republicans and potentially sneaking the nomination.

To get nominated a Republican will have to get the support of the Teabagger type activists to get through the primaries. That process will alienate the moderate majority. Hillary Clinton will be the 45th President, hopefully having beaten Sarah Palin for lolz.

Seeing Sarah Palin being the presidential candidate would be a thing of beauty. She would make George Bush look super intelligent.

Her childrens names are Track, Bristol, Willow, Piper and Trig. Would you trust anyone with running the most powerful country in the world who thinks it's a good thing to call one of their kids Track?

Clinton vs Bush all over again, surely?

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see a Republican president; with the caveat that whoever runs doesn't select some southern lunatic as his running mate. It's the battle for the centre ground. The Democrats got that a while back; the Republicans seem to labour under the miscomprehension that the further right they drift, the more they attract the disaffected voters. That may well be true, but they also lose the voters who are quite happy with the way Obama has quietly gone about not doing very much at all.

As far as I know, Jeb Bush infuriates the Michael Moore wing of the Democratic party, but is popular enough with both wings of the Republicans to make him a viable unity candidate. It's a fair bit off, but at this point I'd be surprised (but not surprised, if that makes any sense) if the Republicans nominate anyone else.

I do wish they went back to the good old days of the 1960s-style conventions, which were as corrupt as they come but absolutely riveting. Now it's a case of the primaries deciding everything, and everything which follows being lip-service to the court of public opinion.

Far too early to say who'll be the nominee's never mind the president. I can accept Hilary has strong chance of winning the Democrat nomination, but I struggle to see how she'll win an election. There is too many skeletons in her closet. She has the same problem McCain had in 08 in that she is too closely associated with Obama as well as being perceived as a "royal".

Agree, Obama ended up just following suit... its pretty boring now... just like labour v tory sh1te

That's because money trumps ideas and principal when it comes to getting elected. It's almost impossible to win without having Wall Street and big corporate America backing you.

I'll go for Scott Walker.

Bush won't win the primaries as they'll be too much baggage. He might be leading for a while but leadership won't support him so he'll end up taking a back seat.

Walker will be relatively unscathed after receiving the nomination and then pick Rubio or Paul as a running mate.

Hillary will come under heavy attack and discontent about Obama will give Republicans plenty of ammunition.

Hillary provokes utterly unbridled frothing rage in nearly all Republicans, but so do black people. I think it's a pretty safe bet that she'll win. There's no chance in Hell that the Democratic establishment would allow anyone less right-wing to be the nominee, and I've seen little evidence that the Republicans have gotten their shit together President-wise since Romney

The problem for the republicans is that they have to go really far to the right to please the base. That makes them look like mental cases to any normal person and thus they will lose again.

I can't see it not being a Democratic Whitehouse again with it likely being Clinton with someone like Tim Kane as VP.

The problem for the republicans is that they have to go really far to the right to please the base. That makes them look like mental cases to any normal person and thus they will lose again.

They've also lost a number of key issues since the last election campaign. Gay marriage is mostly legal. Marjiuana legalisation is happening. Even the healthcare shitstorm seems to have settled down, at least to the point where it's not exactly uncontroversial to declare repealing the entire ACA as party policy. And they can't exactly campaign on a more pro-war platform than Hillary fucking Clinton.

The battle for the White house, will be fought between Hilary and Jeb.

What a hellish concept dynastic politics is. Why don't Americans find themselves a monarch and be done with it?

Obama has been an unparalleled disaster and goes from mess to mess.

You don't want him to do anything.

Clinton will probably win it but I reckon that congress will stay Republican meaning nothing of note will get done during her tenure.

#politics

Archived