Japan

Crash Bandicoot

32 minutes ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

Mentioned in another thread. Heading over to Japan in a couple of weeks. Osaka/Hiroshima/Tokyo. Going with the wife (who is pregnant) and looking for any 'must do's' in each place or anything of interest or note.

Any suggestions?

If you can get a bit of time off from the wife you should go "sightseeing" in Roppongi in Tokyo.......apparently....

If you can get a bit of time off from the wife you should go "sightseeing" in Roppongi in Tokyo.......apparently....

I think it's safe to assume this will Tokyos' four floors/Nana plaza/Blok M/Manhattans/P Burgos st/Apocalypse now.

In fairness, I could get away with taking the wife. I did take my mother to Nana Plaza as she was adamant she hadn't seen a ladyboy in three days in Bangkok. I think she is still in shock.

13 hours ago, sjc said:

It is pretty tame compared to other Asian countries, I don't think it would have too much of a shock factor when the OP lives in Jakarta.

2 hours ago, fanny paddery said:

It is pretty tame compared to other Asian countries, I don't think it would have too much of a shock factor when the OP lives in Jakarta.

I wasn't thinking shock factor more fun factor........especially if he can get time off from the wife! ;)

Any shock value left me a long time ago. Living in, particularly, The Philippines and Vietnam kind of does that to you.

My first time in The Philippines I ended up at Sunday dinner with a ladyboy and his/her family. A very surreal experience especially when the ladyboys sister was stunning (well I hope it was his/her sister) and the mother was seemingly completely oblivious her son had tits.

• 10 months later...

Have decided I am going for 2 weeks in April/May 2018. Wondering what people's thoughts are on the below, any places nearby/en-route I have missed and must go to...as well as any big suggestions/hidden gems in these places? Any places I shouldn't go for so long?

Tokyo (4 nights) -> Kyoto (4 nights) -> Osaka and Nara (3 nights) -> Hiroshima (1 night) -> Miyajima (1 night) -> Tokyo (2 nights). 

Is Mount Fuji easy enough to get to from Tokyo? How long would a day trip be and would people put it as a must-do given I will be in Tokyo for c.5 and a half days?

On 5/28/2017 at 12:06, AberdeenHibee said:

Have decided I am going for 2 weeks in April/May 2018. Wondering what people's thoughts are on the below, any places nearby/en-route I have missed and must go to...as well as any big suggestions/hidden gems in these places? Any places I shouldn't go for so long?

Tokyo (4 nights) -> Kyoto (4 nights) -> Osaka and Nara (3 nights) -> Hiroshima (1 night) -> Miyajima (1 night) -> Tokyo (2 nights). 

Is Mount Fuji easy enough to get to from Tokyo? How long would a day trip be and would people put it as a must-do given I will be in Tokyo for c.5 and a half days?

Very similar to what I did the first time I visited, but I flew into Tokyo and out of Osaka. Spent 4 days in Tokyo and got the 7 day JR pass the day I left. Then did Kyoto for 3 nights, Hiroshima for 1, Miyajima the next day and on to Osaka for a few nights afterwards. Nara can be done in a day trip from Kyoto or Osaka. The three cities are all relatively close to one another. Try and get to Osaka at the weekend. There's a buzz to it on a Friday and Saturday.

Fuji is easy enough to get to. Probably want to go to Hakone with the Hakone Free Pass. There's a fair bit to do, but Fuji is notoriously elusive if there's any cloud so it's better planning for a day when you know you'll get the weather for it.

On 28/05/2017 at 12:06, AberdeenHibee said:

Went with a company called Viator. Pick up near out hotel in Tokyo and bussed out to Mount Fuji, lunch, Cable car up Mt Komagatake for sweeping views of Hakone National Park and cruise on Lake Ashi before getting bullet train back to Tokyo - it was an excellent trip.  Currently advertised for $142 on their site

https://www.viator.com/tours/Tokyo/Mt-Fuji-Lake-Ashi-and-Bullet-Train-Day-Trip-from-Tokyo/d334-2142TYO_F800_F820

When we arrived at Mt Fuji the guide was quite excited as you could actually see it. We went up to level 5 and then it was cloudy.

Tokyo tower is also worth considering.

Edited by Moonglum25
addition

Moving to Hong Kong in July for a year and going to Japan for a visit in December. 

Plan on doing Tokyo & Osaka and one other city but not sure where to go for my 3rd destination. Was thinking Kyoto but would quite like to visit Hiroshima. 

On 6/2/2017 at 14:43, Mr Gandosaur said:

Moving to Hong Kong in July for a year and going to Japan for a visit in December. 

Plan on doing Tokyo & Osaka and one other city but not sure where to go for my 3rd destination. Was thinking Kyoto but would quite like to visit Hiroshima. 

If you stay in Osaka Kyoto is only a short train ride away. 30-40 minutes.

Hiroshima is worth a couple of days for sure.

• 6 months later...

My nephew's off on a skiing holiday in Hokkaido next month and has got me motivated. Thinking of October (not skiing), flights are £600 odd from Inverness to Tokyo, less than I thought. Thinking of doing a fair bit of travelling with a railcard, Hiroshima in the south and Sapporo in the north so far. Doable on a 7 day railcard with a couple of days either end around Tokyo? 

My nephew's off on a skiing holiday in Hokkaido next month and has got me motivated. Thinking of October (not skiing), flights are £600 odd from Inverness to Tokyo, less than I thought. Thinking of doing a fair bit of travelling with a railcard, Hiroshima in the south and Sapporo in the north so far. Doable on a 7 day railcard with a couple of days either end around Tokyo? 

Hokkaido now has the bullet train so if you did want to trek up there it's just over 4 hours from Tokyo.

Definitely doable but you'll have to plan it well to get the most out of a week.

20 hours ago, welshbairn said:

It's a very long way to come for just a week. The jet lag could f**k you.

3 minutes ago, sjc said:

It's a very long way to come for just a week. The jet lag could f**k you.

I was planning a couple of days around Tokyo at the start and then at the end, with a week's bombing about on the bullet trains inbetween.