Japan

Crash Bandicoot

Had a wee look at a website discussing Strong Zero. Seems to be mental stuff that gets you seriously bevvied very quickly and / or makes you vomit.

Bring it on.

Due to Japanese taxes on breweries it is cheaper than beer, so it is aimed at getting people blitzed quickly on a budget. Readily available in any convenience stores there and popular amongst the younger generation. The added wrinkle is that the fruit juice added is supposed to help eliminate the chemicals formed from alcohol metabolism that cause hangovers.

Anyone been to Robot Restaurant? Thinking of going in March. Looks mental.

I know a couple of people who have. Mixed reports. It's either a good night out or a tourist trap with shit food and a clientele of loudmouth Yankees and Aussies.

I know a couple of people who have. Mixed reports. It's either a good night out or a tourist trap with shit food and a clientele of loudmouth Yankees and Aussies.

A lot more expensive than I thought as well. Might give it a miss.

Anyone been to Robot Restaurant? Thinking of going in March. Looks mental.

It's ghastly. The description above nails it.

There's a chain of Japanese themed restaurants called Lockup. If you want a novel dining experience, go with that.

• 3 weeks later...

I've just returned to Beijing after two weeks in Japan. Kyoto and Nara are really cool, as is Miyajima island which is a short ferry ride from Hiroshima. We went to the robot restaurant in Shinjuku and it was a good laugh. Totally over the top but I enjoyed it, but aye, lots of tourists and the food was just a bit boring. But then again, nobody really goes for the food.

Strong Zero's are great, especially the red grape one.

Anyone been to Hakone? Want to see Fuji this time but I'm delaying making plans until I know the forecast, as I don't want to turn up there to find it smothered in cloud.

It would be wise. We were just lucky I guess...

post-8280-14555842561184_thumb.jpg

Anyone been to Hakone? Want to see Fuji this time but I'm delaying making plans until I know the forecast, as I don't want to turn up there to find it smothered in cloud.

Go in summer, and climb Fuji. You can get a bus that drops you half way up, then climb overnight and arrive for the sun rise. Pretty spectacular.

Have heard it argued that it's better not to take the tourist-orientated buses from Tokyo, there's a local bus from one of the shinkansen stations close by (Shin-Fuji) that takes you to a much quieter location and trail to the top that is preferred by a lot of Japanese people. Was given this advice by Japanese work colleagues.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

Go in summer, and climb Fuji. You can get a bus that drops you half way up, then climb overnight and arrive for the sun rise. Pretty spectacular.

I'm going in mid March, so I don't think climbing Fuji will be too realistic at that time of year :lol:

Japan in summer seems too humid for my liking as well (Hokkaido aside). I quite like the spring and autumn as the weather is pretty comfortable. In saying that October was far warmer than I expected it to be (although not hot enough to bother me).

I've just returned to Beijing after two weeks in Japan. Kyoto and Nara are really cool, as is Miyajima island which is a short ferry ride from Hiroshima. We went to the robot restaurant in Shinjuku and it was a good laugh. Totally over the top but I enjoyed it, but aye, lots of tourists and the food was just a bit boring. But then again, nobody really goes for the food. Strong Zero's are great, especially the red grape one.

Eating was the last thing I wanted to do given the fumes in the robot restaurant. Surreal but enjoyable experience.

• 4 weeks later...

Heading to Japan soon, hearing mixed reports about the rail pass. Some folk saying you have to get it before you enter the country, others saying you can buy one when you get there. 

Anyone got any experience of buying them 

Heading to Japan soon, hearing mixed reports about the rail pass. Some folk saying you have to get it before you enter the country, others saying you can buy one when you get there.

Anyone got any experience of buying them

The full thing you need to buy before you go (within three month before you go). You can buy regional rail passes within Japan.

Here's all you could ever want to know about the pass: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361.html

Edited by Enigma

Looking for an opinion this time. Going to Japan for 2 weeks. First week heading south to Kyoto/Osaka, Nara and Hiroshima then back up to Tokyo for the second week. Is it best to pay for the 7 day pass seeing as that when all the distance travel will be or is it worthwhile getting the 14 day pass to include the local travel during the second week? Or is the local travel better on a pay as you go basis?

Looking for an opinion this time. Going to Japan for 2 weeks. First week heading south to Kyoto/Osaka, Nara and Hiroshima then back up to Tokyo for the second week. Is it best to pay for the 7 day pass seeing as that when all the distance travel will be or is it worthwhile getting the 14 day pass to include the local travel during the second week? Or is the local travel better on a pay as you go basis?

From memory a lot of the local lines/ metro etc in Tokyo aren't covered by the pass. It may be better to do the 7 dayer then payg

From memory a lot of the local lines/ metro etc in Tokyo aren't covered by the pass. It may be better to do the 7 dayer then payg

Excellent. Wasn't sure which to do. Going for the 14 day pass seems to be only around 50% more expensive than the 7 day but I think we are only intending going as far as Yokohama and Kawasaki on the second week.