First Game you ever played!

wellboy1991

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First system was Atari 2600 and think it was Centipede and a cowboy game I had for it. Still haven't forgiven my sister for breaking it

In fact, this was it!

I ended up with Wrestle War after a mix-up with some mail-order game swap place that you had to phone to request your next game. Always a laugh, as the girl answering the phone had never heard of any games. Had to end up spelling out 'Toe-Jam and Earl", as the closest she got was 'Toejamming' :lol:

Anyway, I remember it being good, but not a patch on Wrestlefest, which nobody ever came close to replicating on a home games machine.

I ended up with Wrestle War after a mix-up with some mail-order game swap place that you had to phone to request your next game. Always a laugh, as the girl answering the phone had never heard of any games. Had to end up spelling out 'Toe-Jam and Earl", as the closest she got was 'Toejamming' :lol:

Anyway, I remember it being good, but not a patch on Wrestlefest, which nobody ever came close to replicating on a home games machine.

I'm not mentioning roms, but you can get mame and get perfect version of it. Me & my bro went a tag team of earthquake and Sgt slaughter. I'd get the enemy in a headlock, tag in my bro who would go up the turnbuckle. I'd do earthquakes big sit on the guy finisher and my bro would do the big splash off the top. What a finisher.

I'm not mentioning roms, but you can get mame and get perfect version of it. Me & my bro went a tag team of earthquake and Sgt slaughter. I'd get the enemy in a headlock, tag in my bro who would go up the turnbuckle. I'd do earthquakes big sit on the guy finisher and my bro would do the big splash off the top. What a finisher.

ROMs? MAME? I have no idea to what you refer, good sir, and I certainly wouldn't recommend other posters to Google said words post-haste ;)

Outrun on Atari ST circa 1990.

Other games in the starter pack were, from memory:

Golden Axe

Double Dragon

R-Type

Bombjack

Space Harrier

Afterburner

Gauntlet II

Can anyone remind me the others? About ten in all I would guess.

Other good ST games were:

Speedball 2

Carrier Command

Pirates

Dizzy

It was a simpler time!

Outrun on Atari ST circa 1990.

Other games in the starter pack were, from memory:

Golden Axe

Double Dragon

R-Type

Bombjack

Space Harrier

Afterburner

Gauntlet II

Can anyone remind me the others? About ten in all I would guess.

Ah, the ST Starter Packs. What a joy. Allow me to wax lyrical on this subject for a moment...(in other words, tl;dr)...

Atari got themselves into a bit of trouble with these, as giving away dozens of games seems like a great way to increase sales of computers, but it did nothing for sales of games, as kids were playing their freebies for months after purchase. Publishers were quite angry with Atari and perceived that their sales were being hit by the starter packs, so started to have less interest in developing for the ST.

I got my Atari STE as a birthday present back in 1990, and it came with a Power Pack containing Afterburner, R-Type, Gauntlet 2, Super Hang-On, Space Harrier, Eliminator, Nebulus, Pac-Mania, Predator, Star Ray, Star Goose, Double Dragon, Black Lamp, Outrun, Bomb Jack, Bombuzal, Xenon, Buggy Boy, Mouse Trap & Super Huey. Thankfully I avoided the initial pack that included a few games that didn't work on the STE, like Starglider and Outlander. I think a few of the other games like Predator had to be recalled too; top quality testing, there.

Unfortunately, I got one of the first batch of STEs which came with TOS 1.6, which was notoriously buggy. They fixed it with subsequent STEs, but mine had weird problems like being unable to boot directly into medium resolution, and other such annoyances. No patches for operating systems back then; you were stuck with it burned onto a ROM chip that you could only replace with a soldering iron.

I'd been used to playing on my 48K Spectrum, which had a built-in pishy speaker. You turned down the volume on the TV because it made a horrible whining noise otherwise; don't remember having a TV with a 'mute' button until much later. I assumed the ST would be the same, so I was pretty disappointed by the lack of sound at first :P I only realised that I needed to turn the sound up when the house was quieter in the evening and I could hear very faint noises coming from the TV speaker. Mind: blown :lol: Thank God it didn't have a 'mute' button or who knows how long it'd have taken me to work it out.

..alright, I'm done. Go about your business :P

• 2 weeks later...

Archived