Better Call Saul

The Real Saints

"You're like a troll, living under a bridge!" That, on top of his little troll walk had me in stitches. Superb!

I've been impressed so far. It definitely has potential; something I feared would be lacking initially. But the fact we are seeing him before he even became Saul Goodman means the series could have legs. The only problem with the show is that it won't have drama when he is in near death situations. Like the one in the last episode. We knew he wasn't going to be wiped out as we saw him in BB.

Still, it's been decent so far. I hope it keeps up and can run for a few seasons. Would love to see it end with him being kidnapped by Walt and Jessie and then just end in Soprano's fashion :D

. The only problem with the show is that it won't have drama when he is in near death situations. Like the one in the last episode. We knew he wasn't going to be wiped out as we saw him in BB.

I think even if you hadn't watched Breaking Bad you'd have known he wasn't going to be wiped out. What with it being the second episode of a (so far) two series run, and him being the main character.

I think even if you hadn't watched Breaking Bad you'd have known he wasn't going to be wiped out. What with it being the second episode of a (so far) two series run, and him being the main character.

Aye, that's right enough. But come 2 seasons down the line, that wont be the case. Edited by 19QOS19

I've been impressed so far. It definitely has potential; something I feared would be lacking initially. But the fact we are seeing him before he even became Saul Goodman means the series could have legs. The only problem with the show is that it won't have drama when he is in near death situations. Like the one in the last episode. We knew he wasn't going to be wiped out as we saw him in BB.

It's the James Bond effect: you know he's not going to die but you keep watching it to see what mad shit he gets up too. Unless they do kill him off in the next episode and the rest of the season is just Tuco trying to get blood out of his carpet.

The only comparison between BB and this is I can see BCS having more "laugh out loud" moments. It's been a year since I watched it but I can't remember too many real comical bits alongside the intense drama in Breaking Bad. BB set the bar incredibly high for a tv series and I can't imagine this will come close to that standard (I hope I'm proved wrong of course) but by injecting a bit more fun into it (the troll, stickers stuff was very funny) I think it will allow BCS to stand out as its own show rather than "Little Breaking Bad".

You can see a lot of the same characteristics of BB being bridged over, like the short but sweet opening Title sequence for example. Not only that however, but the opening scene of the show feels like a scene that has opened to a lot of Breaking Bad episodes before, with the routine and the same kind of music in the background.

Mostly though, I got a 'weight of the world on his shoulders' complex from Saul in the early stages that Walter White had, not to mention the 'I'm a lawyer' quote gives me the impression that he's still quite an honest man like Walter White was in spite of this and we'll see him spiral from that in the devious lawyer we've all came to know and love.

It feels like the narrative of this first season will be mostly spent on how he went from this McGill to Saul.

I'd assume they'll be looking for some longevity to this spin off, as AMC getting their highest opening ratings to a cable show ever. Plus with Mad Men going soon as well they'll be looking to get as much out of this as possible IMO.

Really enjoyed it so far. I can see numerous similiarities with BB but as mentioned above this seems to be injected with a lot more humour.

Been trying to think of any other BB characters who could appear at some point. Saul to eat at Gus's fast food place?

Been trying to think of any other BB characters who could appear at some point. Saul to eat at Gus's fast food place?

Surely Huell will feature at some point?

I can't see why it would be unreasonable for Hank and Gomez to have a cameo in the courtrooms at one point.

Although I have to admit that I'm not looking out for BB characters. I want to be able to watch and enjoy BCS without having to constantly compare/be reminded of BB.

Wondering how Mike went from being a lowly car-park attendant to hitman in the space of a few years. I know he used to be a cop ... hopefully this series will explain!

Other BB characters I'd love to appear:

Hector Ding Ding

Badger

Skinny Pete

I'd have thought Jesse would probably be a part of things at some point. Wasn't Saul Jesse's lawyer?

Jesse would be about 12 at this point, it is set 7/8 years before BB!!!

King Kebab, on 13 Feb 2015 - 15:56, said:

Jesse would be about 12 at this point, it is set 7/8 years before BB!!!

Aye, but I'm fairly sure it's been mentioned that it might do some time skipping. Don't know if that's from season to season or certain episodes, but it was mentioned.

I enjoyed it, but I feel it's a little self-indulgent with the direction which I was beginning to find a bit off putting. It does look kinda nice, but we don't really need 5 different angles of someone waiting on a lift tbh. I found the leg break scene really funny actually.

I'd like to hope it WILL be the case. Because otherwise it'll mean it's been cancelled.

It'll NEVER be the case. We know that he isn't going to be whacked, as he features in Breaking Bad. That's my point. Scenes where he is in life threatening danger aren't going to be as tense, because we know he definitely won't die. I don't get what you mean about it being cancelled, unless you've picked me up wrong.

I'd have thought Jesse would probably be a part of things at some point. Wasn't Saul Jesse's lawyer?

I thought Jessie and Walt both hired Saul at the same time. In the desert at gunpoint. So if we see Jessie we surely see Walt? I may be wrong though, and Jessie did in fact have Saul before that scene.

I always thought Jesse already knew Saul.

I thought he knew of him with the ads etc.

I'm sure they said that Walt OR Jessie will appear at some point but I'm not sure if I'd like them to. I'm sure there will be a couple more cameos but who does everyone think will be most likely?

Pleasantly surprised so far. Thought it might be a disappointing wacky spin off but whilst it is more humurous than BB, it looks much closer to a proper drama than I was expecting. Which is definitely a good thing.

I hope they don't end up arbitrarily dropping in BB characters into Saul's life every single week. The premise of this and Bob Odenkirk have the capability of carrying a really good dark comedy/drama without it being one big nod and wink sesh between Vince Gilligan and Breaking Bad fans.