Money worries at Stenny

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stenhousemuir had there fair share of cash from three Sevco visits, have regular income from three overpriced artificial surfaces and have the Shire giving them rent.

From the outside looking in, somebody must be pocketing cash somewhere or the board have fucked up big time if they are in such a bad state.

Would struggle to have any sympathy for them tbh.

Fair play to them for at least making noises about planning ahead to cut costs. More than can be said for a lot of other clubs.

Stenny to me as an outsider looking in have always looked like a model of how a club of that size should be run with the community involvement and youth teams etc. What is the money being spent on? I'm possibly being ignorant but clubs like Cowden/Alloa are in the Championship with decent sides on the park so I wouldn't imagine Stenny are lumping huge wages on players.

We deserve everything we get.

Hate to say it but it seems the case going by that club statement. Utter madness to assume you'll take in money from transfers, cup runs or large crowds. That should be a bonus.

It's strange because Stenny have for a few years always seemed a forward thinking club with their pitch, a bar in the stand and encouraging kids.

I know that you've had to relay the pitch but surely money should have been kept aside from the rent paid by the Shire to help with this.

Where has the rest of the money went?

The curse of Colin McMenamin continues. How many clubs has he been at now that have been in financial trouble? Livingston, Gretna, Dundee, Celtic Nation and now Stenny. Have I missed any?

Was he not at QOS when they were struggling as well?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-12745938

Pretty surprised to see this, was always under the impression Stenny were a well run club with different sources of income other than just a home game every other week (renting pitches, rent from East Stirling etc). Last season must have been fairly fruitful with Rangers in the league plus you have decent travelling numbers from Dunfermline and Morton this season.

What has all the cash been spunked on?

Disgraceful stuff. Everyone at the club should be ashamed. I'd be utterly embarrassed if my club ever put themselves into such a position.

It's perplexing as to how we've got ourselves into this situation. As others have mentioned - and something I believed until this season - we were a very well-run club and the envy of our peers. We had a synthetic pitch available for rent, we charged East Stirlingshire to groundshare and we were occasionally bringing through the odd youth player to sell on further up the food chain. Last season we hosted Rangers three times (twice in the League, the other in the Challenge Cup) and Dunfermline Athletic twice, and the ground was jam-packed every time. Unless there's been some kind of gross misappropriation, I just can't understand it.

I know that it cost the club a lot of money to relay the pitch (and we were still paying of the installation of the artificial surface in 2006) and we lost a key income stream over the summer with it out of action, but this surely should have been taken into consideration? I've heard that Scott Booth is on a pretty big salary too - it wouldn't surprise me if he was one of, if not the best-paid manager in the division. What a waste!

It's difficult to feel sympathy for any clubs who fall into peril through their own financial mismanagement - there's been far too many cautionary tales in recent years - and I don't think we'd be any different. The only decent thing is that the board have recognised trouble's afoot and they're looking to deal with it. We're probably not in a position to bring in any quality players or replace the manager, so we're stuck with what we've got. Before this afternoon, I thought relegation was a possibility but I reckon it's likely.

Only thing to do is get behind the team between now and the end of the season and try and will them on.

Robert Rowan was working at Stenny for about eight weeks. He was familiar with Scott Booth during their time at the SFA and was invited along to do performance analysis and scouting - at one point there was talk of them getting around 15 scouts across the country and feeding into this database he'd designed. Several weeks into the season, he'd met with some guys at Brentford for a presentation and was offered a full-time job there. I think that might have been October. There was talk of him training up a replacement but it all seems to have gone quiet. All the big, fancy innovations - training three nights a week, video analysis, etc - appear to have fallen by the wayside (unless someone can correct me).

Robert Rowan was working at Stenny for about eight weeks. He was familiar with Scott Booth during their time at the SFA and was invited along to do performance analysis and scouting - at one point there was talk of them getting around 15 scouts across the country and feeding into this database he'd designed. Several weeks into the season, he'd met with some guys at Brentford for a presentation and was offered a full-time job there. I think that might have been October. There was talk of him training up a replacement but it all seems to have gone quiet. All the big, fancy innovations - training three nights a week, video analysis, etc - appear to have fallen by the wayside (unless someone can correct me).

Sounds like a lucky escape as his "innovations" would not doubt have you further in the shit.

Archived