5 year old invoiced for missing a birthday party

Strange looking children i must say

Aye but at least they're better off than if they'd got their looks from their maw!
Anyway, taking (I'm guessing 20 as that seems to be about the average for parties at that age) weans aged 5 skiing is madness and, with everything else included, would have cost the thick end of £500 which is mental. Sometimes I think parties are organised for the benefit of the parents rather than the weans.
When mine were that age (which wasn't that long ago) they got crisps and sausage rolls, some birthday cake that at least 3 of their pals had sneezed on, a round of 'pass the parcel' and a Lucky Bag to go home with.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another issue with this soul-destroying story is that the kid's teacher slipped the invoice into his school bag. Eh? Why the f**k is the teacher getting involved with this shit?

I'm sure I read earlier that it was in a brown envelope. Nothing good ever comes in a brown envelope.

Sometimes I think parties are organised for the benefit of the parents rather than the weans.

Very much this. That or clumsy attempts to acquire gifts. I once declined an invitation to the birthday party of a co-worker's one-year old and learned later that said co-worker was miffed about it. Not due to the one-year being upset at my absence but because I didn't send a gift.

Aye but at least they're better off than if they'd got their looks from their maw!
Anyway, taking (I'm guessing 20 as that seems to be about the average for parties at that age) weans aged 5 skiing is madness and, with everything else included, would have cost the thick end of £500 which is mental. Sometimes I think parties are organised for the benefit of the parents rather than the weans.
When mine were that age (which wasn't that long ago) they got crisps and sausage rolls, some birthday cake that at least 3 of their pals had sneezed on, a round of 'pass the parcel' and a Lucky Bag to go home with.

This was the general party set-up when i was a kid.

Modern society seems to have become a vehicle for Range Rover-driving stepford wives to try to outdo each other by using their kids as status symbols.

This came up in work yesterday, and one of the burds was saying her kids got an invite to a some brat's party that required sending an RSVP along with a gift list to check off with what you were buying them.

Got to blame the parents - their spawn's having a birthday party, which should be all ice cream, musical chairs and sick. It's not a wedding FFS.

What a load of shite, can't believe that's made the Scotsman.

Oh I can. Any vestige of journalistic integrity or (former) broadsheet quality has long been abandoned by the Scotsman as it continues its rapid, inexorable slide towards tabloid ‘quality’ and values in a desperate, and thankfully, futile attempt at retaining market share.

We just went to M&Ds every party for about six years.

We would all do Noah's ark up until we were 7, then it was renting the letham centre to play football in

So I assume kids parties have now become big bucks and show offy?

This is what happens when you let women loose.

They've made weddings status symbols and now want to do the same annually at their kids party.

Too true - I'm glad my mrs sees the value of money over having a flash and extravagant wedding otherwise i would probably be tempted to dingy her.

Mates wee boy was invited to a cartoon party, whereby the kids were trained up to draw cartoons by some professional cartoonist and they put their drawings together to film a cartoon.

It was a fucking shite cartoon as well.

Poor kids. Sounds like an art class not a party.

Jungle Kids or Ramboland/wads of cold mini sausage rolls/Bouncy castle and loads of soft footballs were where it was at as a Bairn, and as somebody said sent home with a lucky bag.

Archived