Diesel freezing - fuel problems in winter?

Broon_100

The iX35 and it's Kia sister the Sportage both had this problem with the1.7 diesels. It didn't affect the 2.0 litre versions which have different filters.

Whether the filters are interchangeable I know not, and I can't remember it there was a modified filter made available. Your local dealer should be able to help.

The iX35 and it's Kia sister the Sportage both had this problem with the1.7 diesels. It didn't affect the 2.0 litre versions which have different filters.

Whether the filters are interchangeable I know not, and I can't remember it there was a modified filter made available. Your local dealer should be able to help.

Apparently Kia made a modified filter but the RAC guy said it doesn't work, he's already had to fix quite a few of them this winter. The local dealer basically told me that they know it's an issue and are frustrated that Hyundai are not doing anything about it. They even said their service guys who drive ix35's carry spare filters around with them in the glove compartment in case they go. Hardly a ringing endorsement for the car!!

They say it's all down to EU directives to put more biofuels in the diesel. It used to be a 5% minimum, then it was 7% and now they are testing 10%. I'd expect the shit to hit the fan if they ever do go down the 10% route! In the meantime, reckon the wife will be getting a new car!

Apparently Kia made a modified filter but the RAC guy said it doesn't work, he's already had to fix quite a few of them this winter. The local dealer basically told me that they know it's an issue and are frustrated that Hyundai are not doing anything about it. They even said their service guys who drive ix35's carry spare filters around with them in the glove compartment in case they go. Hardly a ringing endorsement for the car!!

They say it's all down to EU directives to put more biofuels in the diesel. It used to be a 5% minimum, then it was 7% and now they are testing 10%. I'd expect the shit to hit the fan if they ever do go down the 10% route! In the meantime, reckon the wife will be getting a new car!

Get her that Nissan GTR that you know she has always wanted. ;)

Get her that Nissan GTR that you know she has always wanted. ;)

Hah - nice try. I don't care too much what she drives, I just need it to be reliable so she's not dragging the kids round in my A3 Saloon ;)

We had this problem in our Renault vans last winter and the winter before, always when it got below about -5. The engine cut out on me several times while driving up the A9, not a nice experience especially while overtaking a lorry.

After doing a bit of reading online we put it into Arnold Clark where the vans were bought from, who were unsurprisingly useless, refusing to change the fuel filter as it wasn't due in the service schedule. They blamed biofuel too and said there's not much you can do, but also suggested that supermarket brands were worse. It didn't seem to make a difference to us as it happened again using various brands.

After the fuel filter was changed during normal servicing it was fine last winter, though I don't remember it being particularly cold.

Where do you normally buy your diesel from?? I won't be surprised if you say Tesco by the way!! Their diesel is shite, got 7% biodiesel in it and fucks your filters up as well as return a much lower mpg than even asda fuel

So for the first 6 months of owning the car we used Tesco/BP until it broke down in its first winter and needed the filter replaced. We were advised by the garage to switch to shell which we used exclusively for a year until this winter where it happened again. Shell have 5% biodiesel. BP have 7% also. Seems that even 5% is enough to clog the filters on this car.

Archived