Fashion Faux Pas

I normally see myself as quite a conservative dresser, i wear the standard, unspectacular sort of stuff that a guy in his early 30s would. Jeans, plain trainers or shoes in relatively neutral tones and tshirts with generally small logos and few mad patterns and good quality jumpers, zippers or jackets.

That being said, there is one piece of clothing I own that I really like but gets me pelters any time I wear it. It's a dark grey wooly jumper with a roll neck and two toggles on the front. Every time I wear it I get jibes along the lines of me looking like a fisherman, which I get 100% but I love it regardless.

I also once took leave of my senses and bought a cardigan, like a proper chunky old man style cardie with big buttons, the lot. I put it on one day before I left the house, realised it made me look like a paedophile and chucked the fucker in the bin before it ever got a public airing.

So what items of clothing do P&Bers own that they love but others hate, or similarly that they buy and almost instantly ponder what the f**k they were thinking?

Similarly, what type of clothing on friends or colleagues will draw a derogatory reaction from you every time?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A Ben & Jerry's T-shirt somebody brought me back from the States as a joke present a while back. I wouldn't wear it for anything else other than doing the gardening, but anytime I do the missus freaks out - I guess in case the neighbours see me with it on. Going by her reaction, the effect seems to be exponentially worse when I couple it with cycling shorts.

The offending shirt looks a bit like this:

fatandyz_99481383956386.JPG

I have a chunky knit terracotta coloured cardigan that has divided opinion in the past. I have a purple mountain parka that my wife despises and says makes me look like a grape. She also gives me pelters for my reversible navy/ paisley print bucket hat.

I own a Chile 62 adidas zip up which gets me pelters but I love it. It's black, neon orange, blue and silver. It's stunning but for some reason attracts a bit of stick.

A Ben & Jerry's T-shirt somebody brought me back from the States as a joke present a while back. I wouldn't wear it for anything else other than doing the gardening, but anytime I do the missus freaks out - I guess in case the neighbours see me with it on. Going by her reaction, the effect seems to be exponentially worse when I couple it with cycling shorts.

The offending shirt looks a bit like this:

fatandyz_99481383956386.JPG

If I owned that t-shirt then finally I would own something fine enough to be married in.

Probably too many items to mention. Yeah, I have a purple velvet dinner jacket. But, in my defence, I do attend a few black-tie dinners per year. I didn't buy it for cutting about Kokomo.

Archived