Random Moments

Mayos Noun

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wore a Pars jersey to a restaurant in Corfu years ago, the waiter recognised the badge immediately, pointing out that it was a Dunfermline top and that we were in the First Division. I'm sure he even named a current player or two.

One of me lecturers at uni in Aberdeen is also from Dunfermline and a Pars fan. He always manages to find a way to mention the Pars into just about every lecture.

Chatting to a guy in a hostel in St Petersburg, it turned out he lived round the corner from me in Leith. Bumped into him semi regularly at the bus stop for work for a couple of years after.

That Limmy thing is hilarious and sums up my feelings on the word random and the way in which people use it

My maddest moment was when i was on holiday i had this suitcase that had a 3 digit pin that you needed to open it. My folks had set it to the last 3 digits of the house number which were 382 at the time they made it. Due to some sort of change in broadband the house numbers last 3 digits were changed to 480 probably within months of setting the pin. Anyway when i was at the hotel the night before the holiday i had to put a couple things in the bag so i opened it using the 382 pin and then put stuff in it then scrambled the keys up, didn't look again at the digits until we arrived in Turkey and to my amazement they were at 480!! I had to phone home straight away to tell my family but they didn't seem to believe me/care and neither did my mrs

Was in London a few years ago now, and walkin along Oxford street was a wee boy in a Rovers top.

Also when I was in Palma a guy in front of us in the queue for ice cream had an East Fife top on. It was the year we were in the same division, so had a wee crack and a joke about them not beating us in over 20 years. Think he took it well...

Also there was a girl at uni who we hanged about with that had the exact same birthday as me, date and year. Very random.

I was in London several years back and waiting to catch a taxi back to my hotel. Ended up talking to the guy in front of us who heard my accent and wondered where in the west of Scotland I came from. Turned out he was a close friends big brother. Vaguely remembered him from childhood but there was a 15 year gap between the two and I had last seen him when I was around 8 years old, which is why I didn't recognise him straight away.

At Getafe v Barcelona game a couple of years ago a guy came up to me as we were shuffling out the stadium in a crowd and said "You're a Thistle fan, eh?". Turned out he sat close to me at Firhill. Him and his mate came for a pint with us which turned into a cracking night out.

First time I went to Hong Kong with work around 10 years ago, went out for a few beers to an Irish bar the first night arrived and there was a live band on.

One of the guys in the band used to live about 10 yard from me and went to the same school.

He had moved out to HK 25 years previously.

Still a p***k though

My uncle was on holiday in the Australian outback.

Guy driving them around on a jeep had a proper Oz accent, which faded when my uncle said he was Scottish.

"Oh I'm Scottish too, came out here xx years ago! Where you from?" quoth the driver.

"Glasgow"

"Me too! What part!"

"Penilee"

"WHIT! Me too! What road?"

"[insert streetname]"

" !!! "

Turns out they used to live about 3 doors apart and were in the same class in primary school.

Archived