Random Moments

Mayos Noun

What is your most random moment outside your comfort zone, or area or residence.

I only write this, as me and my mate were discussing our times abroad through work.

1. Newcastle. Went to Newcastle for my brother in laws stag do - was moaning about the queue for the bar and the guy beside me sounded similar in accent, it ended up LargsTon from this board.

2. Rio, Brazil. Went to Rio as part of my work. Our work had arranged a Brazilian feast which included meats from all of South America. My Asian friend could not eat the non-halal food so we went a wander through the dodgy streets, finding a pizza shop. We tried very hard to say 'only cheese' on the pizza before a young guy decided to translate for us. He said he understood English because he was working in Greenock, Scotland. Told him I lived in Greenock and the amazement on his face was ridiculous.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Me and my mate got talking to this half-Tibetan guy on Gutenberg Square in Budapest who told us he was on his way back from his first MMA fight: he said that as well as studying martial arts with Buddhist monks back in Tibet, he'd also had a stint as a factory worker in....Greenock. The first part I thought was bullshit, but could believe the Greenock connection as he was a complete zoomer. Claimed he could control the wind and gave us a shot of his mad necklace that he claimed gave its wearer special powers. Did it f**k, unless one of the powers it bestowed was not boaking up about five litres of Borsodi lager and Unicum.

Also saw a guy in a Killie shirt in Kamakura, Japan. I guess we're big over there.

Hitchhiking in Australia, I got a lift from an ex-pat Scot who used to live on the same street as my Mum and Dad.

A group of us were talking round the table in a backpacker's hostel in New Zealand, when 2 German lads discovered that one was the childhood friend of the other's brother but they'd lost touch years before.

Me and my mate got talking to this half-Tibetan guy on Gutenberg Square in Budapest who told us he was on his way back from his first MMA fight: he said that as well as studying martial arts with Buddhist monks back in Tibet, he'd also had a stint as a factory worker in....Greenock. The first part I thought was bullshit, but could believe the Greenock connection as he was a complete zoomer. Claimed he could control the wind and gave us a shot of his mad necklace that he claimed gave its wearer special powers. Did it f**k, unless one of the powers it bestowed was not boaking up about five litres of Borsodi lager and Unicum.

Also saw a guy in a Killie shirt in Kamakura, Japan. I guess we're big over there.

We have a Turkish Supporter Facebook page which has a picture of Mel Gibson in Braveheart :unsure2:

Crossing the street outside our hotel in Santa Barbara , met a neighbour from 4 doors along our street, who we were normally on nodding terms only.

They were staying in the next hotel.

Neither of us knew the other regularly visit California.

On a family holiday in Dornoch when I was about 9, me and my brother & sister made friends with some other kids who were staying in the same caravan park. Before going home we swapped addresses so we could be penpals, but upon arriving home we discovered that this other family lived literally across the garden path from us. They had been there a couple of years but we hadn't met.

Also another random moment, when we were living in NZ my girlfriend got a text from a girl from her old work back home saying she was there travelling and wondered whereabout in the country she was. My girlfriend phoned her and she was sitting a couple of tables away in the same pub as us.

When I was travelling Europe a year and a half ago I spent a few nights at a hostel in Zagreb and each night everyone would get steamboats before going out. For a couple of these nights two guys from Chile were there with one of them looking scarily like Pancho from Dirty Sanchez. I wasn't in the habit of adding people I met travelling back then so we went our seperate ways and that was that.

Fast forward to November just there and I go to check into a hostel in Bali, Indonesia and the same guy was doing exactly that as I walked through the door. Turned out our travel plans were pretty similar in Indonesia so I met him in another couple of places as well.

Bought pills off a guy in a shady pub in amsterdam, got chatting to him and it turned out to be rene huguita's brother. Spent the whole night with him getting wrecked and being dragged round some of amsterdams shadiest nightclubs. Great night.

The exact same thing happened to me but with Faustino Asprilla's brother.

When I worked in Valencia I shared a room in a hostel with a couple of really sound American birds. Some years later, after a chat with the poster Breaking Decency on Facebook, I discovered that one of them had since moved to Prague and he was pretty good friends with her.

Also in Valencia, I had spent a few weeks in the same hostel before moving on to find work, and had befriended a couple of Irish boys who were on holiday. Ended up back there a few months later (when I met the American girls) and literally minutes after talking to another Irish guy about the blokes I had met some months back, one of them walked into the kitchen area. Absolutely bizarre.

Was working in a hotel in Canada two summers ago when I was told of a new employee who was from Scotland. Met him and it turned out he was from just down the road from Perth in Braco and we knew some of the same people. Not to weird but surprising.

Archived