Stranraer v Brechin City

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We played very poorly today and for me only rumsby got pass marks....poor team selection by ginge and he left it far far to late to try and change the game...Brechin deserved it and looked like a team full of confidence with some good little players...was impressed with wighton...he looks a good prospect...well done Brechin ...

Hope we can get back to how we can play soon as today I think Brechin under 10s girls C team would of beat us....

Doff my hat to the Stranraer fans, very magnanimous in defeat on what must have been a very disappointing day for them. With both Dunfermline and Morton both slipping up it would have been an ideal opportunity for you guys to pull further away from the full time sides. The results now puts us in the mix at the top.

Agree with what's been said so far, a thoroughly deserved win for us. We limited Stranraer to only one real opportunity. Wighton showed why there is much expectation on his shoulders - I understand he is away back to Dundee after today which is disappointing but you have to remember we were on a long unbeaten run prior to him joining on loan. Robert Thomson certainly not a bad player to come in!

A good travelling support especially given the weather, time of year and length of journey involved.

13 games unbeaten and counting!

Wighton reminded me of Stevie May when he played for Alloa. Tremendous burst of pace and took his goals well. Fair play to Bechin, their work rate was impressive and they closed down well. New signing McShane was awful but might improve with fitness however not to start with Longworth was a poor decision from Aitken.

Brechin came to do a job and did. Didn't need to play well either. We just gifted them the ball. Big miss by Malcolm at 0_0.

Quite correct in that we didn't need to play well ........but we did. I thought we took the game to Stranraer from the start and were in their faces. Our front 3 were quite superb and caused their defence no ends of problems . Wighton and Barr again linked up well with Jackson holding the ball well and distibuting it superbly. Our defence is getting better by the week. They are holding a much higher line , forcing teams a bit deeper which probably influenced the way Stranraer approached the game . Their only tactic seemed to be to punt a long ball behind our defence for their forwards to run on to. Trouble is , their forwards didn't look too keen to run on to them !

To be fair, on the odd occasion Stranraer did get the ball down and play , they created a couple of heart stopping moments, one of which brought out a tremendous save from Smith , the other a point blank miss from the number 10 (I think) , who had a real stinker of a game.

All in all a very enjoyable day and well worth 380 mile round trip. 13 unbeaten now . Just hope we can keep the run going and that the upcoming cup match doesn't upset proceedings.

Very poor today, but Brechin were far hungrier. They were solid at the back, and impressive going forward with real pace.

Great to see a good wee crowd down from Brechin, fair play to them in this shitty weather !

I was speaking to a Stranraer guy at half time who was saying much the same thing. He told me that Farfar had 4 , YES FOUR fans down last week. :lol:

A bit of a crowd w**k thing I know , but you would think that the present (not for much longer ) best team in Angus could attract more than 4 !!!!

Wighton reminded me of Stevie May when he played for Alloa. Tremendous burst of pace and took his goals well. Fair play to Bechin, their work rate was impressive and they closed down well. New signing McShane was awful but might improve with fitness however not to start with Longworth was a poor decision from Aitken.

Thought exactly the same with the May/Wighton comparison, was probably the last time I saw anyone shine like that in a league game at Stair Park. The boy has a bright future.

Apparently Jammer wasn't 100% yesterday.

I was speaking to a Stranraer guy at half time who was saying much the same thing. He told me that Farfar had 4 , YES FOUR fans down last week. :lol:

A bit of a crowd w**k thing I know , but you would think that the present (not for much longer ) best team in Angus could attract more than 4 !!!!

Four fans and a teddy bear.

Apparently Jammer wasn't 100% yesterday.

If he wasn't fit shouldn't have been on the bench - able to play 30 minutes so suspect he wasn't struggling that much. Also suspect this line wouldn't be put out there if McShane had played well or we had won. Aitken is a tremendous manager but got this call wrong. Wonder if Jammer thought he was fit enough to play. Bottom line given he played 30 minutes couldn't have been any more than a niggling injury - players play with those sort of injuries week in week out.

They seemingly had a mini bus down . I was abruptly put in my place on another thread !!!

Is that the mini bus that they take the kit in and the directors.:rolleyes:

Now now lads your starting to sound like Smokies obsessed with other Angus teams travelling support ha ha !! Fantastic result yesterday though fair chuffed , gonna miss Wighton hope he brings in someone else to kp Jacko n Thommo on their toes now ! Both have goals in them for sure but I feel Don t score enough for chances we create ! Still others are pitching in ! Fine to see a more settled starting 11 as well this season .. All looking good for a hard run in!

Now now lads your starting to sound like Smokies obsessed with other Angus teams travelling support ha ha !! Fantastic result yesterday though fair chuffed , gonna miss Wighton hope he brings in someone else to kp Jacko n Thommo on their toes now ! Both have goals in them for sure but I feel Don t score enough for chances we create ! Still others are pitching in ! Fine to see a more settled starting 11 as well this season .. All looking good for a hard run in!

I'm sure it's smokeys;)

Archived